BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

max tyre size for 3" lift

More
23 Mar 2009 17:14 #485 by jonplace
i'm currently running colway c-trax 195 r15s on my jimny with a rhino ray 3" lift
whats the max tyre size i could go to without major surgery
sick of grounding out in ruts
is a 2" body lift a pain in the ar$e job to perform ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2009 15:04 #486 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re:max tyre size for 3
were running dunlop AT's on our un-lifted Jimny, 215 r 15's fitted to dahatsu 6jx15 rimms.

We have no issues with clearance except on full lock, they rub the front A Bar on the inside.
KAP 2" lift being fitted tomorrow, and we plan to fit 215r15 80/20 MT Diamons Backs. on standard springs, the tyres ( not fitted to a rim ) fill the arches completely, but we hope the extra 2" lift will give us the clearance to fit them.
Then maybe a 1 - 1.5" body lift and 30mm spacers if we encounter any issues.

We dont want to go cutting the vehicle too much as we still want to have on road useability.

So basically to answer your question .. You will get a 215 or even a 235 under there with minimal issues

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

More
24 Mar 2009 21:38 #488 by jonplace
Replied by jonplace on topic Re:max tyre size for 3
thanks for that, i'm gonna go for either 205/80/16 or 235/75/15s, both of which give about 29inch diam, about 3inch gain from the 195s currently on
i'm thinking that the 205s will cut through mud better than 235s ?
cheers:)

More
25 Mar 2009 00:53 #490 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re:max tyre size for 3
I had a disaster happen yesterday and now I'm left in the tyre conundrum too!!!

My 215/15 Colway MT's have been leaking air out for as long as I've had the vehicle - about 4 months now I guess. So I took it to a trusted tre fiters to get them taken off, the beads cleaned and the valves replaced before we go to the Lakes at the end of April. Then one of the side walls of one of them splits as it comes off the rim and you can't get a new Colway now.

I have had a look and there is nothing in a similar tread pattern in that size now, meaning I'll have to get a spare with a completely different tread pattern as my original spare is now on the car replacing the damaged one.

Either that or I'll have to buy 5 new tyres at alot greater cost.

However, I have noticed that 215/15's are getting hard to get from most manufacturers now and you get a far better choice in 205/16's, but getting 16 inch steel wheels appears to not be an easy task as everyone wants the Grand Vitara Steels and they are not cheap when they pop on ebay.

I shall now have to think long and hard as to what I shall do. Probably the cheaper option and get an odd tread for the spare.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
25 Mar 2009 08:32 #493 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:max tyre size for 3" lift
Jonplace,

195R15 tyres = 27.28 inches in diameter
205/80-16 tyres = 28.91 inches in diameter
235/75-15 tyres = 28.87 inches in diameter.

So the tyres are approximately 1.5 inches bigger which is 0.75 inches of lift due to tyres.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
25 Mar 2009 08:58 #495 by ooky_123
we found a number of scrap yards that have vitara wheels in stock.

check out www.preloved.co.uk for scrap yards breaking Jimnys.
Will probably go for 16's at some point, but as we have yet to fit our 215 MT's its going to be a while !

More
25 Mar 2009 12:19 #496 by jonplace
sorry if this is a dumb a$$ question but will 235/75/15's go on the standard jimny rims ok?

More
25 Mar 2009 13:08 - 25 Mar 2009 13:13 #498 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re:max tyre size for 3
I dont think so. the max tyres I believe on the standard 5.5Jx15 wheels is 205.
We have 6J wheels fitted with 215's and I think were close to the limit of these.

There are a number of tyre related sites on the web but there seems to be some differences between what can and cannot be fitted.
www.pneus-online.co.uk/equivalency-tables-advice.html

here is a good site with loads of tyre and wheel info

www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg2.html

(check the bottom of page 1)

Last edit: 25 Mar 2009 13:13 by ooky_123.

More
25 Mar 2009 16:27 #503 by jonplace
Replied by jonplace on topic Re:max tyre size for 3
ok, thanks for that, i think i'll go for the 16" rims with 205/80's on, just need to pick up some cheapish rims somewhere.

cheers to all who replied, another happy customer :)

More
27 Mar 2009 19:56 #512 by bazwidajimny
Replied by bazwidajimny on topic Re:max tyre size for 3
hi iv had 31/10.50/15 on std rims and just a 2and a half inch lift rubed a bit but with the 2 inch body lift was fine at the moment iv got 235/75/15 on std rims 2inch lift and a 2 inch body lift i think this is the best set up 4 me any way nice on the road and still the same off road the biger lift and tyers wear not nice on the road and its not that ,mutch difrent offroad

More
27 Mar 2009 20:34 #513 by ooky_123
still havnt actually got to grips with the non metric tyre sizes ..
Very interesting to know about the max tyres fitted to standard rims and the lifts involved.

More
27 Mar 2009 21:52 #514 by kirkynut
Where did you 235/75/15's rub baz, before the body lift and was your front bumper cut down at all?

I was under the impression that they would rub without front arch and bumper mods and see from the picture of yours that your front bumper is cut down on the bottom, which is where I can see most of the rubbing occurring.

The 235/75/15's are about 8.5mm bigger in diameter than my 215/80/15's and obviously 20mm wider. So that's 4.25mm closer to the front bumper and 10mm closer to the wheel arch. I've not much cleance to the bumper with my slightly worn 215/80/15's as it is so new tyres + 4.25mm might be 4.25 mm too much!!!

Does anyone know the definitive answer from personal experience if a 235/75/15 will fit on a 3 inch lifted Jimny with no arch or bumper mods without rubbing during heavy off road use???

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds