BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

More Bearings....

More
01 Aug 2010 18:48 #4013 by ooky_123
More Bearings.... was created by ooky_123
The wife moved our little jimny today, and I noticed a small pool of oil on the floor ... After going though all the metal oil leak possible problems in my head, I was confused ... Engine dry ... Gearbox .. Dry ... Front swivel joints ... Dry ... Kingpins ... Dry

So .... further inspection underneath revealed a thin sticky line up the inside of the rear wheel, and a trail comming from inside the drum.

Looks like a rear wheel bearing / seal... Time to spend more money with Martin ......

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Aug 2010 19:36 #4014 by colin f
Replied by colin f on topic Re:More Bearings....
you have my sympathy, these things eat bearings way too quick!!

More
01 Aug 2010 20:13 #4015 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re:More Bearings....
I suppse, given the abuse ours has recieved over the last 18 months ... Its not suprising we have only had the following fail ...
1 front Wheel Bearing
1 Starter Motor
4x4 vacuum bits fail
one clutch
and a set of brake disks / pads.

Add a rear wheel bearing to that

More
01 Aug 2010 20:16 #4016 by colin f
in 11 months (3000 miles) mine has had a complete set of bearings, front, rear and kinpins........

it is getting on my nerves now!!

More
02 Aug 2010 07:19 #4021 by ooky_123
Wow ... thats a lot !!!...

Any reason for it eating Bearings ? Our first Jimny lasted 4 years and, although was never taken swimming, was offroaded regularly. (bought from new)

Our current Jimny has already done 64,000 miles, so im not that surprised its needed a few components, and also given its been used almost solely offroad.

Did you change them yourself ? if so, are they hard to do ?

More
02 Aug 2010 08:24 #4023 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re:More Bearings....
Make sure the axle breather isn't blocked first, if it is, it can force oil out of the seals at the wheelbearings.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
02 Aug 2010 08:31 #4024 by ooky_123
Breather !!!... I have a breather ????

I Think Ill get a new bearing / seal etc and instruct my local garage to please fit. They will give it a good clean :)

More
02 Aug 2010 15:50 #4028 by colin f
The breather is clear, a the pay and play sites here have a nasty clay type mud which causes all sorts of problems and a lot lf the lanes here are very wet for most of the year.

It's not an awful job just fiddly, grinding the retainer ring off is a pain in the arse though!!

On the look out for some hilux axles now!!

More
03 Aug 2010 10:32 #4041 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re:More Bearings....
I have bought but I'm yet to fit a rear disc conversion from muddyzook.com and the other bits to make it fit from eBay.

This will make pulling the half shafts out much easier as I'll not have to disconnect and then bleed the brakes each time. You have to take the cylinders off with drums. A crappy pain the back side job.

I have seen that KAM hardened rear shafts are 2 piece. The end. With the studs on bolts to the rest of the shaft so you can unbolt it and pull the bearing off the end preventing the need to grind off the retaining ring!

If you are changing rear bearings and seals regularly the rear disc conversion and KAM shafts must be a god send!

It works out more cost effective to get the KAM locking rear diff with the shafts too if you were planning to go down that route in the future.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Aug 2010 10:38 - 03 Aug 2010 10:38 #4043 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re:More Bearings....
kirkynut wrote:

I have bought but I'm yet to fit a rear disc conversion from muddyzook.com and the other bits to make it fit from eBay.

This will make pulling the half shafts out much easier as I'll not have to disconnect and then bleed the brakes each time. You have to take the cylinders off with drums. A crappy pain the back side job.

I have seen that KAM hardened rear shafts are 2 piece. The end. With the studs on bolts to the rest of the shaft so you can unbolt it and pull the bearing off the end preventing the need to grind off the retaining ring!

If you are changing rear bearings and seals regularly the rear disc conversion and KAM shafts must be a god send!

It works out more cost effective to get the KAM locking rear diff with the shafts too if you were planning to go down that route in the future.

Kirkynut

Can you post pictures/ build up of the rear disc installation as I fancy doing these - always filling the rear drums up with mud :side:
Last edit: 03 Aug 2010 10:38 by darthloachie.

• P.Y.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Aug 2010 17:29 - 04 Aug 2010 17:32 #4058 by P.Y.
Replied by P.Y. on topic Re:More Bearings....
Quality of the wheelbearing grease might have something to contribute here...

Two thoughts: For a grease that really resists water wash-out, try Amsoil, (makers of the first ever synthetic oil), via Performance Oils, you pay a bit more, but their grease, and also their Racing Grease, is about the finest there is and is could make just that bit of difference. Red and very sticky.

Second thought: There is a grease that tries hard to be waterproof, used by motorbikes off-road, trailers of yachts in water etc...google Maxima Grease. Blue and could be just the job.

The bearing take a hammering presumably cos of the weight of the wheel/tyres and its a lot of rubber for a fairly light car, with a lot of unsprung weight. A lighter, narrower tyre, might also reduce the punishment.
Last edit: 04 Aug 2010 17:32 by P.Y..

More
04 Aug 2010 18:26 - 04 Aug 2010 18:29 #4059 by colin f
I have an idea and am interested in peoples opinions:

Landrover TDI axles with rear disc brakes
Buy a knackered jimny axle case and remove the radius arm mounts, shock mounts and coil mounts.
Transplant them onto the landy axle along with Rover 600 calipers to give me a handbrake, fit as if it was a direct jimny replacement with alterations to propshaft/flanges as needed.

Or use the landy radius also and make a mount for the chassis?

Or any better suggestions?

Oh and 4.7 ratio diffs to help the gearing

I know the landy boys bust diffs like there is no tomorrow, but with the low hp of a jimny and low weight I can't see it being a problem.....
Last edit: 04 Aug 2010 18:29 by colin f. Reason: more info

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds