BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Shocks to survive the London-Cape Town Rally

• P.Y.
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jun 2010 22:44 - 10 Jun 2010 22:49 #3605 by P.Y.
I've been asked to advise on a project to rally-prep a Jimny for the London to Cape Town Rally in January. The ride height is staying the same (twisty stuff in Kent and the Alpes where bigger stuff and more power wont help, so the Jimny could, maybe, shine early on as agility will come to the fore on these sections).

Standard springs, maybe, as we need to think about crew comfort, some ride quality is important, its 8,000 miles in 28 days, some days very long. Its mostly broken tarmac, dreadful potholes, no big deal as far as ground clearance goes, Renault 4s and 2CVs hack it all day long in the hands of locals, a bit of desert piste, cart-track and stony, again a Morris Minor would find its ride-height adequate, and mud in the Congo which is claggy.

Koni do a thick-tube uprated shocker, and Bilstein do a set to suit the Jimny. The Koni is adjustable, is this any use, does anyone out there know what to adjust it to - or do we spend days of testing and then find out they are not up to it? Time is not on our side for this.

Pro-comp on this forum get plenty of plugs, they come in three grades, do they fit standard ride height Jimnys, again, would they go the distance? Also, there are three models of Pro-Comp, I get the impression they come in a) hard, b) harder, and c) bloody hard...or have I read that wrong. My email is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

It would be fantastic if this entry not only lasted the course but did well - and I dont want to pass on bum advice. So, what would you chose?
Last edit: 10 Jun 2010 22:49 by P.Y..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Brian.SMC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jun 2010 07:13 #3606 by Brian.SMC
Replied by Brian.SMC on topic Re:Shocks to survive the London-Cape Town Rally
If you want cheap all rounders then pro comp es3000.
No matter what make you pick on 8000 mile with the roads you describe I would take spares

• P.Y.
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jun 2010 17:18 #3610 by P.Y.
Do they fit the standard-ride-height Jimny, they only seem to be referred to by people doing lifts. ie, if they are long enough for a 2 inch lift they will be too long for a standard-car?

More
11 Jun 2010 18:48 - 11 Jun 2010 18:50 #3611 by mlines
As with all shock absorbers, Pro-Comp are not "lift" shocks.

They are just a manufacturer. Therefore you can get them in various lengths, fittings and rates. So Pro-comp will do a shock that fits both standard and jimny with longer springs. Most other makers also do various lengths, rates and fittings, so providing you know the length and fittings you will be able to find a shock to fit.

I know the pro-comp shock range so if you really want the I can give you the numbers.

Within the pro-comp range:

ES1000 - standard
ES3000 - hard
ES9000 - harder

My guess is that your issue is weight, you will be pretty laden at the back so I would look at beefed up springs and shocks for the rear.

You best bet is to speak to Dave at Llama4x4 and his shock sets, he is a great huh. Bearmach are the pro-comp suppliers but they don't want to speak to non landrovers owners.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 11 Jun 2010 18:50 by mlines.

More
12 Jun 2010 08:43 #3615 by Obarno
Hi - my advice would be to use an Old Man Emu lift as with the extra weight/fuel etc you will be carrying you may well need it. Their kit will give a lift of 40- 50mm. Its well designed and more importantly the shocks are made specifically for the Jimny. Most other after market shocks are designed for a range of cars and generally ride quality suffers. The OME kit will give you a good ride and and being made for the Australian market will last well.
I have OME lift kits on both my Jimny and Samurai and are very happy with them. The kit on the Samurai particularly has done a huge amount of off roading in really rocky tough conditions without any change in performance.

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

More
13 Jun 2010 17:17 #3617 by mlines
Philip,

Further to our conversation and reproduced here so others can comment.

I would not fit the rear shocker brackets to a standard Jimny, however the lower rear shock mounts are likely to give you problems, the M12 Metric fine bolts undo and fall out or shear off, leaving half the stub inside the hole :(

I don't know what servicing you will have with you or what servicing you will be permitted, I would guess that that is part of the challenge therefore you will have very long stages with in stage servicing being carried out by the driver/co-driver plus whoever they fine by the roadside, therefore you are going for reliability.

I would therefore:

1. Drill out the existing lower rear shock mounting points and fit easily carried nuts and bolts (perhaps a strip of M12 Studding), finding 150mm M12 Metric Fine bolts in the desert is not going to be simple.

2. Carry sets of both front and rear wheel bearings, including kingping bearings, kingpins, CV joints and track rod ends + the special tool to undo the front wheel bearing. These transmission items are going to take a real battering on desert tracks etc. You are not going to change a rear wheel bearing by the road as a press is required but the other jobs can be done with a good toolkit.

3. Fit a high level air intake (snorkel) up out of the dust.

4. Replace the existing electric controlled vacuum hubs with manual hubs off a Suzuki SJ (using an adaptor kit) the less fancy stuff on board the less there is to go wrong. Manual hubs gives you lots of combinations of "switchable" drive options when you suffer a failure of a transmission component in the middle of no-where.

5. Carry a Crankshaft Sensor and Camshaft sensor with you as these can fail in the heat.

6. Lock off or jam or replace the Viscous fan to make it permanently driven, reduces the chance of overheating or failure on a stage.

7. Fuel: The Jimny fuel tank is tiny and I would have guessed you may well have range problems between fueling points. The standard tank when on a heavy, heavily driven car will give upwards of 150 miles range - yes thats only 150 miles. I would guess you need to have a long look at this.

I would have thought that everything else is repairable by a "Bush" mechanic, unless you think the radiator is vulnerable.

Martin

check out the rally site at www.londoncapetownrally.com

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
14 Jun 2010 08:24 #3621 by Obarno
Hi again!

Don't know if you have bought the car yet, but if not how about looking at one of the later European diesel engined cars. The later ones use a 1.5 Renault engine. It would certainly make sense from an economy viewpoint and give a much longer range between fill ups.

I thought Martin's list was pretty comprehensive, but there are a couple of items I would add and that is at least one spare uj, and also some radius arm bushes, or maybe fit uprated ones from the start.

Juat a thought!

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

More
18 Jun 2010 07:04 #3653 by kirkynut
I think Martin has covered it all really well too - but the radius arm bush comment is very valid - perhaps go polybush - they do a set on their website - and carry a spare set. They will be easy to change in the desert rather than the need to have a press with the original rubber ones.

Also, you'll need new bolts for them - the old ones WILL sheer off and you'll be stuffed.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• P.Y.
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jul 2010 19:10 #3857 by P.Y.
Thanks for that. The tip about NGK-R spark plugs that suit lower octane fuel being more tolerant is also useful to pick up (another thread on spark plugs). Just bought a Mini Van petrol tank off Mini Spares, it goes across the rear nicely, and will give extra range.

Bought some bits off Big Jimny, ordered some new coil springs from Sheffield Springs (standard length plus 5 per cent uprated) and am about to start work.

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds