BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

SJ manual freewheeling hubs on a Jimny

More
23 Dec 2008 18:25 #320 by kirkynut
Hello there,

Much has been said on other forums and this forum with regards to fitting SJ Aisin or other brand manual freewheeling hubs to a Jimny by getting a 7mm spacer made up.

I have bougt fixed hubs from KAP and Darren machines the collar on the wheel bearing nut down by about the same.

This has got me thinking, if you machine down the collar on your wheel bearing nut, do you need that spacer?

As I have the machined down wheel bearing nuts on my Jimny now and a set of manual freewheeling hubs on our SJ, I plan to try them and I'll let you all know how it works.

If anyone else has tried this, please let me know. I don't want to try it if it's a non starter.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Dec 2008 20:13 #323 by mlines
As you say, there is a lot of things said about the hubs but it needs someone to confirm it for real. I believe the collar on the wheel bearing nut is purely to act as a vacuum seal and if you are not using the vacuum system then you do not need it and removing it enables the hub to be fitted, go on - find out for us!

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
03 Feb 2009 22:50 #352 by bazwidajimny
hi guys iv got a set ov vitara free wheel hubs on my jimny and i grinded that lip of the wheel bearing nut and thay fit and work fine with out a spacer sj 1s are the same and the solid drive sj and vit 1s fit to if u wont permanant drive hope this helps B)

More
04 Feb 2009 18:37 #354 by kirkynut
Hi there,

This is fantastic!!! I hadn't got round to trying our SJ's freewheeling hubs yet as I've a few other jobs that take priority first and planned to try this in the summer, but you have answered my question.

Cheers for that.

Kirky

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
04 Feb 2009 22:15 #361 by bazwidajimny
no problem glad to help :)

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds