BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Fixed Front Hubs from KAP

More
16 Nov 2008 18:05 #250 by kirkynut
Dear All,

Just thought I'd share with you all a solution to the troublesome automatic free wheeling hubs on the front of a Jimny!

Darren at KAP can supply fixed front hubs, as came on many an SJ.

Clearly this will not suite all, hance why many people sought out free wheeling hubs for their SJ's.

The pro's being you don't have to worry about not being able to engage 4 wheel drive orr have to get out to mnually engage the hubs.

The cons being your front hubs are locked so they will drive the front half shafts and thus diff and prop, causing unnecessary drag and wear on all of the components through the drive train. Also fuel consumption may increase but probably not noticably.

Our SJ410 only recently got fitted with freewheeling front hubs though and with nearly 100k miles on her she has had no problems with her front diff, CV's etc other than a UJ on the front prop wearing to excess.

So it's a judgement call for the individual, but I've got a set and will give them a go I think.

There is a bit of machining to do on something, although I've not had chance to look yet, but Darren can supply the part readily machined if asked nicely.

Kirky

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds