BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Balancing of Re-mould MT's

More
16 Nov 2008 17:58 #249 by kirkynut
Dear All,

I have just bought a 3 inch lifted Jimny off of Darren at KAP and it comes with new 15"x7" alloys which have on them 215/75/15 COLWAY MT's that are also new.

It does not have the Castor Correction bushes on it yet as the previous owner did not get around to fitting them before selling it to Darren in order to fund a new business venture and he had not long lifted it. I don't think this has a bearing on this matter though.

On the drive back from Yorkshire to Essex with it I found a bad vibration through the truck about 70 MPH onwards.

The day after getting back I put her up on a jack and checked all the bearings and bushes for wear and all were nice and tight with no play at all.

I could see that the front off side wheel had lots of weight stuck to it on the alloy and knocked on the rim too and could see where alot of weights had been stuck to the nearside front rim too but had been thrown off at sometime, leaving the gunk from the sticker of the weights still on the inside of the wheel.

I went to my usual high quality and vastly experienced tyre place and they balanced the front wheels and tyres for me. I spoke to the chap doing the job as I always do and he told me that they were both way out of balance and exclaimed that it must have been horendous to drive at speed.

He also stated, as he has in the past that you will never get a MT remould to balance up perfectly and that it a case of doing the best you can with lots of weights.

I now still get a bit of a vibration at 70 mph but nothing like it was.

I don't plan to do 70 mph anyway though as a rule, even when the castor correction bushes are in place as the anti roll bar will be removed for off roading and this combined with the lift will mean 60 - 65 mph will be more than enough for me!

So the moral of what has become a lengthy story is - expect a little vibration with large remould MT's, it's not always going to come down to worn king pin or wheel bearings - but check them anyway!

Kirky

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds