BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Are these rock sliders any good?

• Adamski
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jun 2011 15:17 #17990 by Adamski
Are these rock sliders any good? was created by Adamski
I'm after a pair of rock sliders for the Jimny, does anyone know if these on eBay are any good? > cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem...EWAX:IT#ht_500wt_689

Thanks,

Adam.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jun 2011 15:36 #17994 by Obarno
Don't know about those but they don't look the strongest.

I've got KAP ones on both my Jimnys and they seem good and strong, and you can high lift on them. They are 40 x 80 box with 50mm square section legs welded on to the chassis. They come unpainted, but are about half the price of the ones on eBay. A couple of coats of Smoothrite soon had them sorted.

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

More
19 Jun 2011 15:38 #17995 by ooky_123
I know Martin has submitted designs to his fabricator regarding rock sliders.

I am after a set of sliders too, but I want over sized tube and I want them bolt onto the chassis rather than weld on. Watch this space .....

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

• Adamski
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jun 2011 16:20 #17997 by Adamski
Replied by Adamski on topic Re: Are these rock sliders any good?

Obarno wrote: Don't know about those but they don't look the strongest.

I've got KAP ones on both my Jimnys and they seem good and strong, and you can high lift on them. They are 40 x 80 box with 50mm square section legs welded on to the chassis. They come unpainted, but are about half the price of the ones on eBay. A couple of coats of Smoothrite soon had them sorted.

I didnt realise KAP did these but that is exactly what I want. Do you have any photos of them on your car(s)? Did you paint them before fitting then just slap some paint over the welds? Or did you weld them on then paint the whole lot?

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jun 2011 16:28 #17999 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic Re: Are these rock sliders any good?
them on ebay are not rock sliders they would not last 5 mins offroad

personaly i don't know why people would buy weld on rock sliders it just sounds a bit of a silly idea to me cus if you can weld to to be able to weld them to your chassis you could just make your own sliders & save some cash

• Adamski
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jun 2011 16:41 #18002 by Adamski
Replied by Adamski on topic Re: Are these rock sliders any good?

vitara_mad wrote: them on ebay are not rock sliders they would not last 5 mins offroad

personaly i don't know why people would buy weld on rock sliders it just sounds a bit of a silly idea to me cus if you can weld to to be able to weld them to your chassis you could just make your own sliders & save some cash

I'm not a welder but I know someone who is. I'm thinking of tubular steel with box section legs to weld to the chassis. I thought the ones on eBay looked a bit flimsy.

More
20 Jun 2011 06:37 #18030 by Obarno
I sprayed them with etch primer, and then got a friend to weld them on for me. Once they were on I gave them a couple of brush coats of Smoothrite. I put some anti slip tape on the top as my wife is quite small and the car is quite high!.

For me it was easier to buy them fabricated as I am unable to do it myself.

Here are a few photos.

Attachment JimnyRocksliders001.jpg not found

Attachment JimnyRocksliders004.jpg not found

Attachment JimnyRocksliders003.jpg not found

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15
Attachments:

• Monkey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jun 2011 08:08 #18082 by Monkey
Replied by Monkey on topic Re: Are these rock sliders any good?
As already stated those EBAY slilders will not even last 5mins... i will be finally making my BOLT on sliders this Friday( if the weather holds of :unsure: ). I will be getting rid of those silly plastic sill things(flare to flare) a replacing them with 1.2mm black sheet metal that is getting bent up now. I will then have also have as the actual ROCK sliders 48 OD heavy duty pipe B) which in theory will be unbreakable B)

Should look some thing like this

Expect with only 2 chassis mount and one center brace.

Cheers,

Andy.

• meanbgreen
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jun 2011 08:51 #18159 by meanbgreen
Replied by meanbgreen on topic Re: Are these rock sliders any good?
the ebay one is lame. the last ones above look pretty sharp. Ya want an angle near the wheel wells as to not get them hung up on rocks and or get your tire caught up while flexing.
Another example:
www.rocky-road.com/zukrockrail.html

• Monkey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jun 2011 08:54 #18161 by Monkey
i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx155/Fatzook/TSOR/IMAG0469.jpg

Those sliders there will soon be available for the jimny, not cheap though. :angry:

More
23 Jun 2011 11:40 #18167 by ooky_123

Monkey wrote: As already stated those EBAY slilders will not even last 5mins... i will be finally making my BOLT on sliders this Friday( if the weather holds of :unsure: ). I will be getting rid of those silly plastic sill things(flare to flare) a replacing them with 1.2mm black sheet metal that is getting bent up now. I will then have also have as the actual ROCK sliders 48 OD heavy duty pipe B) which in theory will be unbreakable B)

Should look some thing like this

Expect with only 2 chassis mount and one center brace.

Cheers,

Andy.

WOW ... I need a pair of those !!!...

Martin was looking into rock sliders and the issues of mounting them to the chassis ....

.. Fancy making a spare set for me ?:whistle:

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

• Monkey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jun 2011 11:46 #18168 by Monkey
:whistle: freight would be and absolute killer :blink:

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds