BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Couple of questions about 2nd service done today

More
01 Jun 2011 19:55 - 01 Jun 2011 19:56 #17197 by Liz
Hi folks,

Buster the Jimny is now 2 and went in for his 2nd service today at main dealers. I just have a couple of questions which I'd like some help with if that's OK.

Firstly, the handbrake is now really tight. I mean so tight that pulling it on even the first notch is REALLY hard work. It was never that tight even when it was new! Is being that tight bad for the cable? Will it cause it to stretch prematurely or worse lead to the brake being partly on all the time? I didn't use the handbrake til I got home so didn't have chance to ask them about it when I picked the car up.

Secondly, there were 2 great chunks of wood under the car. One each side just behind the front wheels. Any idea what they were for please? I have twisted and pulled them off but I'm now worried about what they were on there for.

Any ideas? All help gratefully received.

Regards,

Liz
Last edit: 01 Jun 2011 19:56 by Liz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2011 20:39 #17203 by kirkynut
I would be slightly concerned about the handbrake only going up by one click as I would fear the rear brakes are binding as a result.

The way to check would be to jack one rear wheel up with the handbrake off and spin that wheel and listen for any binding of the drum and the shoes. A little brushing is to be expected but if it is hard to turn or constantly rubs you have an issue.

It is easy to loosen off though. When you look at the rear of the handbrake lever when it's down, you can see a 10mm not screwed onto the cable end. If you loosen it just a few turns it will allow the handbrake to go up another notch or two.

I allow mine to come up quite high as when off road one of the wheels will go up into the arch and in doing so will pull on the handbrake cable on that side of the car and stretch it.

If you use it only on the road it's not so much of an issue but only one click is a little too tight in my opinion for any car!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Liz

More
01 Jun 2011 21:22 #17209 by Liz
Kirkynut you're a star! Thanks.

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jun 2011 06:40 #17218 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Couple of questions about 2nd service done today
the wood blocks sound like transport wedges - hope they haven't been there for 2 years - it would give a very hard ride !! :ohmy:
You are safe to assume the wood blocks shouldn't be there :)

• jimny5
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jun 2011 07:27 #17221 by jimny5
Wood blocks are prob just off the lift to stop the lift arms
Catching on the sills.
And handbrake could just have been over adjusted. Go back with the wood blocks
And complain, usally get something for free.

More
02 Jun 2011 08:57 #17224 by Halford
my guess is that the mechanic expected you to yank on the handbrake and snap the cable

- hence he left the wood blocks to pop under the wheels ......:evil:

More
02 Jun 2011 09:02 #17225 by Liz
Thanks folks,

I emailed the chap who sent me the reminder about the service simply because I had his direct email address. No reply from him (might be on a day off) so I've sent an email to the general service enquiry section. Will let you know what they say.

I hope they managed to get the rest of the service right :o( I'm a bit disappointed really as they have a quite 'professional' set up in the booking in area.

More
02 Jun 2011 09:04 #17226 by Liz
And no the blocks haven't been there for 2 years!!!

More
02 Jun 2011 17:22 #17236 by Liz
Service dept got back to me within 10 mins of sending enquiry. Apparently the guy I emailed yesterday has been having trouble with his emails ;o)

Anyway the blocks were to protect the sills. They are saying that the handbrake SHOULD lock on one notch as that is the way it is meant to be!

I am going to take it in on Monday for them to slacken it off as it is so tight that I have to pull it really hard to get it onto that one notch - in fact I can't even use the button and just have to pull it hard till it clicks which I don't like doing as I think it wears the mechanism (but then I do baby my vehicles!)

Thanks for the advice and support folks.

More
02 Jun 2011 18:22 - 02 Jun 2011 18:23 #17243 by mlines
Take this with you, its the relevant section of the official Jimny Workshop manual. Tell them that their advice on the handbrake notch is "B*ll*cks"

Parking Brake Inspection and Adjustment
INSPECTION
Hold center of parking brake lever grip and pull it up with 20 kg
(44 Ibs) force.
With parking brake lever pulled up as above, count ratchet
notches.
There should be 6 to 8 notches.
Also, check if both right and left rear wheels are locked firmly. To
count number of notches easily, listen to click sounds that ratchet
makes while pulling parking brake lever without pressing its button.
One click sound corresponds to one notch.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 02 Jun 2011 18:23 by mlines.

More
03 Jun 2011 11:28 #17270 by Liz
Thanks Martin.

More
03 Jun 2011 13:21 #17273 by facade

mlines wrote: Take this with you, its the relevant section of the official Jimny Workshop manual. Tell them that their advice on the handbrake notch is "B*ll*cks"

Parking Brake Inspection and Adjustment
INSPECTION
Hold center of parking brake lever grip and pull it up with 20 kg
(44 Ibs) force.
With parking brake lever pulled up as above, count ratchet
notches.
There should be 6 to 8 notches.
Also, check if both right and left rear wheels are locked firmly. To
count number of notches easily, listen to click sounds that ratchet
makes while pulling parking brake lever without pressing its button.
One click sound corresponds to one notch.

So you pull it on holding in the button, then you pull it in without holding the button to count the clicks: so what is the point of pulling it up holding in the button?

You should never pull on a Vauxhall handbrake whilst touching the button, it will fly off and let the car roll.
(There were a couple of vauxhall recalls over this)

I never touch the button, I like to listen to the nice clicks B)

I do remember my driving instructor telling me to hold it in, something about wearing out the hardened teeth.....

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds