BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Toyota Axles

More
22 Dec 2009 16:02 #1674 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Toyota Axles
Here are some of the pictures

And Michael didn't mention the full gallery of pictures of the build HERE

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Dec 2009 16:16 #1675 by s2quattroturbo
Replied by s2quattroturbo on topic Re:Toyota Axles
now thats inspiration. now to rob a bank over xmas and get started on building one!

More
22 Dec 2009 21:49 #1679 by JIMNY EXTREME 4X4
Replied by JIMNY EXTREME 4X4 on topic Re:Toyota Axles
if you are interested i can get some good pics of each part front and back to give you a bit of an idea of what goes into it there is really not that much, if you are good with a welder and an angle grinder then your set, and it was definately not expensive, we saved $12000 by doing it ourselves and it was a bit of fun being able to do this kind of stuff as it was a first time for us.

JIMNY EXTREME 4X4
Jimnys should come standard with yota diffs and 35's

More
22 Dec 2009 21:51 #1680 by JIMNY EXTREME 4X4
Replied by JIMNY EXTREME 4X4 on topic Re:Toyota Axles
mlines wrote:

Here are some of the pictures

And Michael didn't mention the full gallery of pictures of the build HERE

oh sorry i forgot all about those

JIMNY EXTREME 4X4
Jimnys should come standard with yota diffs and 35's

More
31 Dec 2009 13:34 #1738 by Molie1337
Replied by Molie1337 on topic Re:Toyota Axles
just wondering what transfer box/axle gear ratio's your setup uses, im guessing its pretty simple to use any transfer box that runs off a propshaft...
i want bigger axles so i can run much bigger tires, fed up of getting stuck in ruts with tiny suzuki sized tires!! plus rear discs 'cos i would love to have a handbrake!!
would it be possible to use an axle that already uses radius arms (say landy) so you could just make up new radius arms that go from the suzuki to the axle?
hope that all makes sense!!

cheers

John

• Baloo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Dec 2009 15:18 - 31 Dec 2009 15:19 #1744 by Baloo
Replied by Baloo on topic Re:Toyota Axles
hi Molie
if you obtain your toyota axles from a 70 series landcrusier it will have radius arms very much like the jimny, both the diff are offset as are the jimny and they they are only a little bit wider making them a a nice fit
landrover axles are going to require some very wide arches indeed, plus the hand brake on a landrover is on the transferbox so you still wont have a decent handbrake whereas the hand brake on the toyota is on the back axle so you can use it, plus all coil sprung landrover axles will come with 3.54:1 diffs to far out to be much use in a jimny unless you have a V8 or tdi engine ?, true you can fit the diffs out of a seires landrover which are 4.7, but they are even weaker than the 3.54's, when l fitted landrover axles in my vitara the first 3 times out it broke a diff each time, not very strong at all, l guess l could have been unlucky and had 3 weak series diffs,

l have a landcrusier chassis and axles in the barn, l am contemplating fitting these to my spare jimny chassis along with a diesel engine and then switching the body from my jimny on to it or getting a shell to cut down to a pick up,

l will measure up the axle pick up points tomorrow just out of intrest to see how much if any modification the axle/radius arms need

Andy
Last edit: 31 Dec 2009 15:19 by Baloo.

More
03 Jan 2010 14:00 #1767 by Ezz
Replied by Ezz on topic Re:Toyota Axles
yeah go for it, you won't regret it, once it's done,

mines on Gwagon axles and 35" simexs, takes a lot to stop it.

More
31 Dec 2019 05:50 #216859 by Zapnologica
Replied by Zapnologica on topic Re:Toyota Axles
Hello Michael, Dylan here from South Africa.

I would like to know what you did regarding the rear diff being centred? Did you just run a skew prop shaft, or did you do a diff relocation?

Your photos look crazy and flex in amazing.. How have the diffs been holding up over time? I run my rig as a daily and overlander, would this be a silly mod to do? Are there any downsides?

2015 Suzuki Jimny

4" 100mm Lift
M18A Motor
Crawler Gears
Dual Air Lockers
Lots of mods.

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds