× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gen 4 Clutch Pedal clicking

• DrRobin
  • DrRobin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Newbie in Northumberland
More
07 Sep 2024 11:29 #257462 by DrRobin
After driving for a bit and most noticeable in traffic my clutch pedal clicks when pushed about half way down.  It stops doing it when hasn’t been used for a few minutes.

it feels like a cable dragging or possibly wear in a linkage, sorry I haven’t even checked if it is a cable or hydraulic?  If it was a cable or linkage why doesn’t it do it all of the time?

I suppose it could be the clutch, but the clutch itself feels smooth enough and the vehicle has only done 27k miles.

if it is the clutch anyone know if that is covered on Suzuki’s service activated warranty?

I am on a 200 mile trip today and if anyone has any suggestions or has seen this before I will check tonight or tomorrow morning.

Ta

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2024 19:07 #257464 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Gen 4 Clutch Pedal clicking
It is a hydraulic clutch and shares the same master cylinder as the brakes.

Not sure if the clicking has been reported and fixed by the dealer, but I might be getting mixed up with something else?

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
07 Sep 2024 20:32 #257465 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Gen 4 Clutch Pedal clicking
Thanks for the update. I describe it as a click, it’s more like a little jump, as you press it it gets about half way down and then sort of jumps or clicks.

It’s like the older cable clutches, the cable drags and then suddenly frees or the outer moves in to new position and you get a click or jump.

It could be a linkage/pivot has come slack or it might be a fluid issue, I hope it isn’t the clutch.

I checked it with the engine off, I can still feel a click, so not sure it’s going to be the clutch.

I have another off-road trial tomorrow, hope it’s ok, otherwise I will have to get towed out on to the road and call recovery.

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

More
07 Sep 2024 23:40 #257466 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Gen 4 Clutch Pedal clicking

It is a hydraulic clutch and shares the same master cylinder as the brakes.

The clutch has it's own master cylinder, what it shares with the brake master cylinder is the fluid reservoir.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
08 Sep 2024 07:29 #257468 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Gen 4 Clutch Pedal clicking
Thanks for the clarification.

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
09 Sep 2024 11:44 #257478 by DrRobin
I checked round the pedal and found one of the bolts holding the master cylinder to the bracket was very slack, which I tightened and it made no difference. I couldn't see anything else obvious.

The problem only occurs when the engine is warm, not from cold start up or for the first few miles. Yesterday morning I couldn't get the car in to reverse and had to put it in 1st gear before it would go in to reverse.

I suspect it's the clutch which is sticking and what I can feel through the pedal is it [suddenly] releasing. The fact that it only does it when warm suggests something engine/gearbox related rather than pedal.

I am going to get the garage to look at it as it is under warranty.

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

More
14 Sep 2024 08:44 #257528 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Gen 4 Clutch Pedal clicking
Have your wallet ready.

If they take the gearbox out to check the clutch and find that it is all rusty from water getting into the bell housing they will immediately blame that and charge you ££££££.

Dragging at the first start up of the day suggests damp in the clutch to me.

The clutch will only be covered by warranty for a mechanical defect caused by shoddy manufacture/shoddy materials.

I have had a clutch give up because the fingers on the diaphragm wear and snap off, and allow the release bearing to just punch through. Not my car, and I've no idea if it was playing up before as the fingers started breaking, as all enquiries along those lines were met with "I didn't notice anything, it suddenly broke..."

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
14 Sep 2024 08:57 #257529 by DrRobin
It’s booked in to check, but not until 30th October, earliest date available. I have already checked and a clutch isn’t covered on a warranty, so fully expect they are going to charge me.

Either way it has to be right and I will ask for an estimate before they proceed, my rough estimate is around £750-£1,000.

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds