× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

5-door (year 2024) experience with 215/80/15?

More
31 Aug 2024 23:53 #257389 by xAlexB
I've been browsing the internet quite a bit and I can't find much information, anyway, I apologize if the subject has already been discussed.I'm about to receive my 2024 Suzuki Jimny 5-doors and the only modification I plan to make is to add some more off-road tires. I've read and researched that the 215/75/15 tires work well with the stock vehicle, but I'm interested in the height gain that 215/80/15 tires would give it.My questions:I know that compared to the OEM size, the 215/80 profile adds 32 millimeters (+5%) to the overall diameter.I also understand that the 215/80/15 profile fits, but I want to know at what cost.It could cause me problems in the future, I mean wear on gears, friction with some parts or any problem that could lead to putting on 215/80/15 tires.If anyone has experience with these tires, please let me know if everything is fine or if you definitely don't recommend them.Thank you very much.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2024 07:34 #257390 by DrRobin
215/75r15 is a popular size for Gen 4 and there isn’t much difference in 215/80r15, just slightly bigger, see tyre size calculator

tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/

Clearly your speedometer will change to under-read, but then they all over-read in the first place. It will be slightly higher geared, but that will hardly be noticeable.

What you might notice is the increased tyre weight and a small drop in fuel efficiency, but these won’t be too bad and easily outweighed by the better tyres for off road.

Plus they will look cool in your wheel arches.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

The following user(s) said Thank You: xAlexB

More
01 Sep 2024 07:44 #257391 by Gadget
My concern would be that all the tyres in that size seem to have a 102 or higher load rating, so they're going to be very stiff, as they're designed for heavier vehicles.

More
01 Sep 2024 19:21 #257398 by jackonlyjack
I say do it and don't worry about the load rating 
My yokohama G005 have 115 load rating and work just fine 

More
01 Sep 2024 22:17 #257399 by fordem
The load rating is not the issue, the weight of the tire is the issue, and that has a negative impact on braking - a lot of people won't recognize this until it's too late.

I own both the three & five door Jimnys, the three door is on 215/75R15 ATs, the five is on the OEM Bridgestone195/80R15, I've no experience with 215/80R15 on either vehicle, but I do have experience running larger tires on a variety of other Suzuki models.

215/75R15 is about as large as I'm willing to run on a Jimny, 215/80R15 is approaching the limit that I consider acceptable without re-gearing, I would not want to run that on a three door without a brake upgrade, on a five door you might be able to get away with it.

More
02 Sep 2024 07:02 #257400 by yakuza
The braking and tire weight is not to be taken lightly when modifying a vehicle.
I have had many Suzukis with too large tires up to 325-60-15 or more normal 31"s on my SJ wich have more or less the same brakes as the newer Jimnys.
Running 235's on my current Jimny. upgrading to the vented discs has a good impact on heat dissipation and has been a good mod for me driving many long and steep hills in Norway. (With a trailer.)

All in all I think the jimny can take larger tires but as with other mods and their combination one must consider the whole picture while modifying a car.

My mate put 36" tires on his Heep Cherokee and it could not at all brake good enough after that. He had to buy Hydro-assist brakes for it.
Thinking in horror every time I see a jeep with large tires now, not knowing if the owner have just thrown them on or done a proper job modifying.

Not so scared when I see a Suzuki on 30-31".

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
02 Sep 2024 07:07 - 02 Sep 2024 07:08 #257401 by yakuza
Does the lwb 5-door Jimny have the same brakes as the short one?

I know lwb SJ have the same brakes as swb SJ, but the lwb 5-door Gen1 Vitara has vented discs and slightly larger caliper piston, while the short 3-door Vitara got the "same" brakes as all the other jimnys and SJ's.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 02 Sep 2024 07:08 by yakuza.

More
02 Sep 2024 10:54 #257404 by fordem

Does the lwb 5-door Jimny have the same brakes as the short one?

No - I can't speak on all the differences, but the five door has ventilated disks whilst the three door has a solid disk, I have not looked at disc size, pad area or piston diameter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yakuza, Gadget

More
02 Sep 2024 12:54 - 02 Sep 2024 12:56 #257405 by Gadget
Rear drums on the 5 door?

Interested to know if the 5 door discs or pistons are bigger, could potentially be a nice OEM upgrade for the 3 door.

Edit: answering my own question: "Suzuki used a 10mm thick 290mm diameter solid front disc for the JB74 3 door version but for the JC74 5 door version they used a 17mm thick 287mm diameter ventilated disc. The brake calipers are also different between these two models with the JC74 calipers having wider gap to accommodate the thicker brake discs. The brake pads are also not interchangeable between the JB and JC calipers."

From here:  Brake Options | Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5 Door | Brake Pads and Discs - Team-BHP
Last edit: 02 Sep 2024 12:56 by Gadget.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan

More
03 Sep 2024 06:56 #257409 by yakuza
Would not be suprised if the parts used are more or less the same as the Gen3 Diesel jimny and Old Vitara Lwb 5 door.
I considered ordering the diesel Jimny calipers when changing mine a few months back but I bought the old Vitara again. Do not remember why sadly.

But my vented discs are now diesel jimny as they fit the 107.7 hub / center hole as on all ABS cars.

More
04 Sep 2024 22:45 #257437 by Bob9863
I just spent 10 days at a mates farm, and a bunch driving around another mates near home.
I did a lot of wet slippery tracks, bog holes ect and all of it was on the factory tyres.
I had planned to change them for AT tires but ran out of time, as it turned out I never needed them, as stock it handled things better then 3 other dual cab Ute's, one with AT and two with MT tires on them.
My advice is if you need more height, go for bigger tires and modify it to suite, but if you don't need a chunk of extra height, just get good AT tires in the factory size.
the tread pattern will be more then enough upgrade, going bigger doesn't add anything in itself other then minor changes to the looks and a negative impact on everything else.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds