× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Best spot for a USB port (Gen 3)?

More
18 Aug 2024 16:48 - 18 Aug 2024 16:50 #257211 by GandHisJimny
Hi guys. I've got an Android Auto head unit that has a wired USB connection and I'm trying to find the best place to stick a port that's a bit more permanent than the current long cable. It does wireless too but I like the charging aspect and it's more stable with a cable so I've got a connector like this from AliExpress : www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006704300239.html

I can't decide which location makes the most sense. I could stick it on the side of the passenger glove box alcove, maybe in the side of the plastic trim below the ash tray, or try something funky like use the blank button on the dashboard fascia (mirror image to the heated mirror button, which I could maybe swap sides of or something).

Anyone else done this and / or got a clever suggestion?

Jimmer II (2007 JLX+ auto in black & silver) : Android head unit, Black Raptor Steering Damper, Yokohama Geolandar G015s, rear cabin light, OEM wind deflectors
Last edit: 18 Aug 2024 16:50 by GandHisJimny.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2024 21:50 #257214 by DrRobin
When I had my Gen 3 and Android head unit, I just routed the USB cable to the little tray in front of the gear stick and just left it there with my phone cable connected and coiled up. I didn’t bother putting a socket in, but it’s a good idea.

If it was me I would put the socket in the centre console, then either you or the driver can reach it. My Gen 3 had a circular blanking plug just below the radio and on the right, it comes out and you could Dremel the blanking plug to take the USB socket, or find a round socket that will go in place of the blanking plug.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
19 Aug 2024 11:26 #257221 by GandHisJimny
Thanks Robin, yeah I think that's probably the best spot, especially since it hooks into the headunit it's most intuitive if it's near the display. I'll need to wait until I've got a free weekend but I have the harebrained idea of swapping the heated mirror button to be on the driver side and then modifying the round blank (now on the passenger side) to have the USB port. Not sure if that can easily be done given the wire lengths involved but will check.

Would mean I've "filled in the blanks" for all the switches since I've got my lightbar switch on the formerly blank switch by the foglights so that's satisfying...

Jimmer II (2007 JLX+ auto in black & silver) : Android head unit, Black Raptor Steering Damper, Yokohama Geolandar G015s, rear cabin light, OEM wind deflectors

More
19 Aug 2024 12:47 - 19 Aug 2024 12:51 #257224 by yakuza
I got two of these or similar epray/Ali items. One double USB by the hand brake / center console between the seats, with a voltmeter, and one in the rear right side i can get to from the rear door. Also have a switch on the rear one so it can be on without ignition power, and a constant 12v sig socket for my fridge.
The center console one get pushed in and broken from my water bottle or maybe my hand when releasing the handbrake so it is not an ideal place.

Also have a head unit with a wired USB socket but it is ignition on powered only and sets of the head unit asking me what to do, so do not use it.
Cable still acessible in the glove box if I change my mind.

Charging phone in the front and power banks in the rear, they lay in the pocket on the side.

Been thinking of maybe putting a leasure battery back there to power them as i have a spare DC/DC charger now I found I will not need to charge the trailer battery from the car. Solar on the trailer is plenty power back there.
Trying to find a small lifepo4 battery to run my charging and fridge.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 19 Aug 2024 12:51 by yakuza.

More
09 Sep 2024 07:16 #257476 by GandHisJimny
For anyone interested, it worked perfectly! Was able to swap sides for the heated mirror button no problem and my USB thing above fitted near perfectly in the existing slot. No modifications or drilling necessary. Very pleased with the end result and means the passenger can fiddle with the cable without it being annoying for the driver.

File Attachment:

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds