× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Mounted tablet, maps, diagnostic and use?

More
28 Jul 2024 11:40 #256983 by fordem
Maybe I'm missing something, maybe you & I have a different idea of what navigation entails, but, to my mind, the need to simultaneously drive AND navigate is likely to be a frequent occurrence for many of us - I know it has for me - I don't always have the luxury of a second person in the car with me.

In the era of paper maps, I would spend the evening prior to my trip determining my route and listing the turns on a notepad which would then by clipped to the folded map and placed on the passenger seat - a quick glance would let me know my next turn would be, let's say, a left onto ABC street in roughly two miles - making a wrong turn would require finding a place to pull off the street and spend several minutes "re-routing".

Paper maps left me with a fear of "detour" signs that stayed with me for decades.

One of my memories of driving to Miami International Airport, has me needing to make a left turn exactly where I had turned the week before, only this time, there's now a concrete barrier preventing me from doing so - I had to find a parking lot and get out my laptop based GPS which of course had a map that didn't know about said concrete barrier, just to get to the rental car return on the other side of the street.

Even in the city I grew up in, and I can draw street maps from memory, navigation decisions need to be made as to which street to use to get from point A to point B, don't drive on Carifesta Ave at 8:00 am on a weekday because of the school traffic, take the "sea wall" road instead.

To me, navigation is a part of life, inseparable from driving, inseparable even from walking - did you know Google maps will help you navigate to a given store in a shopping mall?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2024 13:48 #256986 by Roger Fairclough
I use Google maps on a regular basis and I find them extremely useful. I am also blessed with the homing instincts of a pigeon and that is a blessing.
At this point I feel that an explanation of how I navigate from A to B, without the assistance of a navigator, will clear up any misconceptions of how I do it. I decide on a route. This is usually based on previous knowledge and I can commit to memory considerable distances without needing recourse to a map. Best so far is Birmingham to Inverness, a distance of 460 miles. Yes it was mainly motorway but there are junctions on route. If I need to check a map I find a suitable place to stop and then check. Yes , I have seen people looking at maps whilst driving and I wonder how they have managed to survive for so long and they are prime targets for the police and a "driving without due care" summons and yes, I have seen drivers with either a hand held mobile or an ear mounted device apparently talking to their alter egos and I have muttered under my breath "never a copper when you need one". My father in law is 25 years younger than me ( don't ask ) yet a minor detour had him totally lost in Redditch and it required a rescue mission to find him and deliver him safely into the bosom of his family. Such is life.

Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds