× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Front bash plate

More
03 Jul 2024 21:30 #256619 by JonnyJim
Front bash plate was created by JonnyJim
I’m thinking of fitting a front bash plate to my Gen 4 with a standard front bumper and wondered if anybody had experience of doing the same and would recommend any particular brand?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2024 22:22 #256621 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Front bash plate
ls there one available? l looked online when we bought our Gen 4 Jimny in 2020 but couldn't find anything.

More
04 Jul 2024 11:46 #256630 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Front bash plate
I don’t know about fitment with the standard bumper. Not really looked as I have a different bumper anyway.

Why do you want to fit a bash plate? Is there something you are trying to solve? I would think any plate that will fit with the standard front bumper could massively reduce approach angle and be a hindrance off road.

More
04 Jul 2024 15:15 #256631 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Front bash plate
Bash plates are more an IFS accessoire.
Real cars with real axles do not need them unless there is something else to protect.

On a jimny the radiator and most other stuff is placed out of harms way and well protected.

There are some armour to be bought for the Brackets and the diff on the axle. I just drive carefully and think I can fix any damage I might do to the axle just as easy as I can mount the armour. So I don't bother with it.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
04 Jul 2024 21:41 #256635 by JonnyJim
Replied by JonnyJim on topic Front bash plate
I’ve found one from a French brand N4 Off-road available in the UK from 4x4 Works Ltd, which is what’s making me consider one. Good point about the potential reduction in approach angle though and I haven’t had a problem yet. It’s just sometimes a nagging concern that ground clearance on standard suspension (I don’t want to lift it) is not that great and I wonder what damage I might do to the bumper/steering arms in the worst case.

I guess if it were a major problem there would be more discussion about it on this forum, so my concern is probably misplaced….

More
05 Jul 2024 09:04 #256641 by 300bhpton

I’ve found one from a French brand N4 Off-road available in the UK from 4x4 Works Ltd, which is what’s making me consider one. Good point about the potential reduction in approach angle though and I haven’t had a problem yet. It’s just sometimes a nagging concern that ground clearance on standard suspension (I don’t want to lift it) is not that great and I wonder what damage I might do to the bumper/steering arms in the worst case.

I guess if it were a major problem there would be more discussion about it on this forum, so my concern is probably misplaced….
Do you mean this one?

www.4x4works.co.uk/product/n4-skid-plate...mm-front-bash-guard/

Personally not keen on how it looks and I don’t think it’ll serve any purpose, so potentially a waste of money. Only time I can see use would be if you are trying to drive straight up a rock ledge or step and wanted to try and skid the front up. But likely a rare scenario in the U.K. due to our terrain. And isn’t how I’d probably drive. Also if doing that kind of off roading there would be other more important mods.

I found it was the lower front corners of the front bumper that can impact the ground off road. And indeed at some of the off road events people have broken some clip or bent the lower bumper mounting point due to this. I’ve not really seen the middle of the bumper hitting anything.

Not bumper related, but the front factory recovery point is also very low and will dig in the ground.

What sort of off roading do you plan on doing?

The Jimny is fairly capable off road in stock form and the traction control is a game changer in keeping all the wheels turning and allowing it to drive a lot further over technical terrain. But there are some major short comings with the stock setup.

1. On technical terrain you will catch the front bumper corners.

2. Low ground clearance.

3. Due to low ground clearance the break over angle is not great and you will sit on and hit the transfer case and chassis end radius arm mounts. I’d recommend the transfer case skid plate as a must. You loose a little clearance, but make a smooth surface and add protection instead of whacking the corner of the transfer case.

There are also radius arm protector skids that might be handy too.

4. Limited suspension travel and flex. Despite being a live axle 4x4 it doesn’t flex like some other contemporary 4x4’s. The traction control negates this a bit. But keeping the wheels on the ground is still a good thing.

You said you don’t want a lift. But to be honest it’ll make a huge difference. Firstly a lift will improve your approach angle reducing risk of hitting the front bumper. It’ll also improve the break over angle reducing risk of hitting the transfer box or radius arms.

A good lift should also improve the suspension travel allowing better stability off road and less reliance on the traction control to keep you moving.

A good lift should also improve on road ride and handling over the stock suspension.

Basically if you buy right a lift will be a win every where with the only real downside being that the vehicle will be taller to get in or out of.

If you plan to off road on rocks or around trees side sill protectors/rock sliders are a good idea too as the sills are an easy area to damage off road as a rule.

More
06 Jul 2024 11:55 #256655 by JonnyJim
Replied by JonnyJim on topic Front bash plate
That is the one, yes. I already have transfer box plate and radial cup protectors fitted, so no worries there. Thanks all for the thought provoking input, I’ve decided not to worry any more about the middle of the bumper.

More
06 Jul 2024 12:53 #256658 by 300bhpton
Found a picture from 4 years ago or so. 

It’s more the corner of the middle. But you can see where the bumper impacts. Looking at the design of the bumper I wonder if it is designed to be a bit of bash plate anyway. And everything it tucked up behind it. I can’t see an aftermarket plate on the stock bumper offering much off road still. As the bumper would still be hit before any plate fitted behind it. 

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.330 seconds