BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny Gen3 what should I pay?

More
28 Jun 2024 10:36 #256497 by DomJ
Sorry if this isn't the right place to post, I've been after a Jimny for about 10 years but keep wavering away due to some of the impracticalities involved in Jimny ownership. I have driven Jimny's of various ages abroad and do love them. I think I've finally settled that I'll have to own one sooner or later so why not now?

The problem is I have no idea what I should be paying, prices are all over the place from private sellers and seem to make little sense, I have seen 2007-2010 cars with similiar mileages listed at the same price as 2000-2004 cars with nothing in the advert suggesting why? Dealer prices are out of my budget unfortunately and I'd rather buy from a private seller who personally knows the history of the car anyway.

I'm not too bothered about age or mileage, post 2001 would probably be ideal for ULEZ. More important is condition, AC would be an absolute huge bonus as would the later VVT engine.
I'm buying in the UK and was hoping to pick one up for around £3000-3500 but the market seems to be a mess. Any pointers?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2024 14:32 #256503 by Rogerzilla
Look at the MOT history online.  Avoid anything with corrosion advisories.  I know some MOT testers are trigger-happy with advisories but this will sort the wheat from the chaff quickly.  VED liability is lower for pre-2001 cars but pre-2006 Jimnys are not generally ULEZ compliant, not necessarily because they're polluting but because they were built before Euro 4 existed.  At the cheaper end of the range, these things affect value.  But rust is the no.1 concern.

More
28 Jun 2024 14:42 #256504 by jlines
I think you pay what you are happy with to reflect the condition of the car. An early Jimny in immaculate condition would trump a later 2010 Jimny in worst condition so I would pay more for the better condition car even though it’s older. That being said you may actually be under estimating the value of these cars. In my opinion sub 5k doesn’t buy you a great condition jimny. Below that you tend to be looking at off-roaders or scrappers. 1500 will only just buy you one on its last legs so if you’re looking for one in good condition you need to be over 5k.

More
28 Jun 2024 14:57 #256507 by mlines
2005-2008 vehicles are prone to gearbox issues so you may see older cars around 2004 more expensive as they have the better version. After 2008 this issue was fixed.

If you are buying between 2005-2008 expect the owner to have proof that the gearbox has been fixed or ensure you have enough budget in the price for a £1000 repair

Sent from my ThinkPhone by motorola using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
28 Jun 2024 15:02 #256508 by jackonlyjack

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds