× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Cuttingout/diagostics says no fault

More
21 May 2024 08:51 #256026 by Jimnygirlie
Ive plugged  a diagnostics on the car and its showing no faults but it keeps cutting out at 10-20mph. Any ideas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2024 10:20 #256030 by DrRobin
I see you have another thread with the same issue, it's probably best to keep updating one thread rather than starting a new one, otherwise anyone reading it doesn't know what you have already tried.

Unfortunately I don't have an auto so don't know if this is something specific to the auto gearbox, but here goes.

Q) What sort of RPM is the vehicle doing when it cuts out? I know the speed is between 10-20mph, but RPM is more important to understanding what is happening.

Q) When the engine dies, does it misfire first or stutter or does it just die?

Q) If it just dies do you get the 'Padlock' immoblisier symbol on the dash?

Q) How old is the car, what is the mileage and when was it last serviced?

Possible causes
There are a large number of causes of engine stalling at low revs (assuming the revs are low), but basically it's either fuel or spark.

Spark
You need a spark at the right time to ignite the fuel.  As the revs drop the spark is usually not quite as strong so things to check are

Spark plugs - Are they clean and in good condition?
Leads/Plug Caps - Are they clean and free from breakages/cracks?
Battery - Is the battery in good condition and well charged?

After that it's timing, but that gets harder to check, it could be the CAM/Crank position sensor.

Fuel
This is the longer list, some of which are harder to check.

Fuel - Is is clean, or dirty, any water in the tank?  Is the fuel pump OK?  Fuel filter and injectors clean and working?  What about fuel pressure?
Air Idle Control/slide - Is this clean and working?
EGR Valve - Is this working correctly?
Air filter - Unlikely to be only at low revs, but is it clogged?
Faulty O2 sensor - This should show up in the fault code, so probably not the problem

Auto-gearbox
It could also be a fault in the gearbox, if the gearbox is not changing down and the revs drop very low (say less than 1,000 - 1,500 rpm) the engine might just cut out under load.  I don't know enough about the greabox to know if this is an issue.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
21 May 2024 10:31 #256031 by Jimnygirlie
Doesn’t miss fire
07 reg
Revs are about 1000
Done 66k mileage
Ive noticed the orange engine light sometimes shows
No padlock light
Many thanks

More
21 May 2024 11:02 #256032 by DrRobin
The orange light is probably the 'Check Engine Light', it comes on when you get a misfire or a stall.

If there is no 'Padlock' then we can rule out the immobiliser.

I don't know enough about the auto gearbox, but I would have thought that 1,000 rpm is too low to pull at 10-20mph, my old manual Gen 3 would have probably cut out at 1,000 rpm trying to pull at 10-20mph.

Certainly it sounds like the gearbox is sticking in too high a gear and is not changing down, hopefully someone with an auto can jump in and confirm if this is normal behaviour or if there is an issue with the gearbox?

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jimnygirlie

More
24 May 2024 19:09 #256077 by facade
If it cuts out and doesn't set a code, then the ECU thinks that the engine has stalled, and Everything is OK really.

Usual suspect is the crank sensor, when it gets old and hot and bothered it can't be bothered outputting a signal, so everything stops as the ECU thinks the engine isn't going round.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds