× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

My Jimny is electrifying

More
24 Apr 2024 06:10 #255755 by Pondboy
Every time I step out of it, I get a massive static shock! Much more that any other car I have owned.

I'm thinking maybe it is a combination of the seat fabric creating a charge and the rubber floor mats keeping me insulated and letting the charge build up.

Anyone got ideas that might help?

PB

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Apr 2024 06:13 #255756 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic My Jimny is electrifying
It's generally caused by sliding your bum over fabric seats.  If you hold somethng on the metal body as you get out, it allows the charge to escape to earth more gradually.

More
24 Apr 2024 07:30 #255757 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic My Jimny is electrifying
I have the EscapeGear canvas seat covers, the static shocks stopped in mine when I got those.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget

More
24 Apr 2024 08:30 #255758 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic My Jimny is electrifying
No electric shocks on mine and I have the rubber mats. I think rather than the mats it’s the tyres which provide the insulation letting the charge build up.

In the old days you used to see vehicles fitted with a conductive strip under the car and in contact with the ground, not sure if they worked or are still available.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
24 Apr 2024 10:13 #255759 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic My Jimny is electrifying

I have the EscapeGear canvas seat covers, the static shocks stopped in mine when I got those.
Same here, zero shocks since fitting the covers.

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Apr 2024 12:33 - 24 Apr 2024 12:34 #255762 by rogerzilla
The conductive strips were snake oil, and also derived from a misunderstanding of the cause.

You don't often get electric shocks when getting out of cars with leather seats (or synthetic leather, as in the SZ5 and gen3 SZ4).  Leather doesn't have the same triboelectric effect as cloth.
Last edit: 24 Apr 2024 12:34 by rogerzilla.

More
24 Apr 2024 13:00 #255763 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic My Jimny is electrifying

You don't often get electric shocks when getting out of cars with leather seats (or synthetic leather, as in the SZ5 and gen3 SZ4).  Leather doesn't have the same triboelectric effect as cloth.

The SZ5 Jimny doesn't have leather seats, they are cloth, at least they are in mine.  My Gen3 SZ4 had [faux] leather seats.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Apr 2024 15:03 #255764 by rogerzilla
Oh, I didn't know that.  The old "pleather" seats in the gen3 were great.

More
24 Apr 2024 15:57 #255765 by Roger Fairclough
Yes, you can still buy "Snake Oil" straps but info. from the web says hold onto something metal as you exit the car and problem solved.
It wont cost you anything, so give it a try.

Roger

More
24 Apr 2024 21:04 #255767 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic My Jimny is electrifying

Yes, you can still buy "Snake Oil" straps but info. from the web says hold onto something metal as you exit the car and problem solved.
It wont cost you anything, so give it a try.

Roger

Touch something metal where, part of the car or something outside of the car?

Personally, I've not experienced this with any car I've owned, but I have experienced it with several rentals, I step out of the car, turn to close the door and zzzzzzappppp!!!!!!!  The fix, at least for me, is to NOT touch anything metal, but to put my fingers against the glass window and push the door closed.

The issue here is the entire vehicle has an electric charge and when I, standing on the road outside the car touch the metal of the cat, it discharges through my body, so touching a metal object in or out of the car is unlikely to do anything other than zzzap me.

More
24 Apr 2024 21:20 #255768 by Roger Fairclough
"You don't shoot the messenger". As I said, the info was taken off the web. I don't suffer with the problem so I don't need a solution. If I did an earthing strap would be an obvious choice.

Roger

More
24 Apr 2024 21:49 #255770 by JonnyJim
Replied by JonnyJim on topic My Jimny is electrifying
Escape gear covers stopped it for me too.

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds