× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Portable Winch

More
01 Apr 2024 06:14 - 01 Apr 2024 06:15 #255320 by Soeley
Portable Winch was created by Soeley
Finally decided on which portable winch to get, can be used on front or rear recovery points.

Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Apr 2024 06:15 by Soeley.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2024 07:30 #255322 by LesNewell
Replied by LesNewell on topic Portable Winch
Which winch did you get? That looks like a pretty long chain.
I have a set of assorted shortish ropes that I use with my hand winch. It has a fairly short chain so I may need to change the ropes around a few times but it's a lot lighter than a huge length of chain.

More
01 Apr 2024 08:36 #255326 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Portable Winch
+1 for which winch?

I looked at some smallish winches and a Bak Rak tow bar mount and plate about a year ago, but didn’t go for it in the end. The plate and Bak Rak mounts on the tow bar or you can shackle the plate with a strop to a tree for use on the front.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
01 Apr 2024 09:57 #255335 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Portable Winch
I put together a system with a 4,500lb winch on a Bak Rak, and have front and rear towbars (front is detachable). This is quite a good system, mainly because it lives safely stored in a dry shed most of the time. For the few times I have used it, a chain winch like this would have done the job and is a fraction of the cost.

More
01 Apr 2024 10:17 #255339 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Portable Winch

Finally decided on which portable winch to get, can be used on front or rear recovery points.

Happy April Fools Day Everyone 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, gv42

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
01 Apr 2024 11:44 #255343 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Portable Winch
I wondered how long it would take.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
01 Apr 2024 11:47 #255344 by LesNewell
Replied by LesNewell on topic Portable Winch
You caught me because I've used a chain block like that and it actually works pretty well!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Busta, Soeley

More
01 Apr 2024 16:52 #255352 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Portable Winch
Oh.
I thought it was a simple, practical choice. I've seen worse options suggested on here!

More
01 Apr 2024 17:43 #255353 by Soeley

You caught me because I've used a chain block like that and it actually works pretty well!
Yes, I am sure it would work, but I imagine a bit awkward and cumbersome to use. Wouldn't like to get the chain all clogged with mud neither

More
01 Apr 2024 17:46 - 01 Apr 2024 17:46 #255355 by Soeley

Oh.
I thought it was a simple, practical choice. I've seen worse options suggested on here!
Simple yes - especially if you already have one. Practical - not too sure? I would love to hear the worse suggestions 
Last edit: 01 Apr 2024 17:46 by Soeley.

More
02 Apr 2024 08:12 #255364 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Portable Winch
Well you can have mine for what it's worth. Early days with my SJ I was living in Northumberland, a county with lots of Green Lane potential. I carried a small, lightweight hand winch and a length of 18mm 3 strand nylon rope. If I got stuck I would select the best route out and rig the rope and winch accordingly. Work the winch to stretch the rope and then drive the SJ until rope slackened and repeat. This system may be slow - or not - but it always worked. Oh, as an afterthought, the parts are cheap to buy and light to carry.

Roger

More
04 Apr 2024 08:35 - 04 Apr 2024 08:36 #255423 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Portable Winch
In The Olden Days before Aliexpress, the go-to hand winch was a Tirfor, you can still buy one, but it is cheaper to pay for a few off-road rescues.

You can contrive something with a Hi-lift jack and towing stops/chain/cable (not a snatch rope!) for about a metre pull at a time.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 04 Apr 2024 08:36 by facade.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds