× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:new Gen4 or not ?

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jan 2024 17:33 #253436 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic new Gen4 or not ?
Sounds a bit like corrosion warranties, which are typically only valid if

1. There is perforation of certain panels.
2. The vehicle has had an annual body inspection by a franchised dealer, with all top-up treatment carried out by them.

In practice, virtually no-one claims.  Most cars drop out of main dealer servicing after 3 years, if they make it that far;  company cars are often done on the cheap by Halfords Autocentres or similar.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2024 19:33 #253437 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic new Gen4 or not ?
Suzuki’s warranty is 3 years.

You don’t have to have a car serviced by a main dealer as long as the firm/person doing the service follows the manufacturer’s service schedule, is competent and uses genuine parts to keep the 3 year warranty. The issue is that might be hard to prove, although you should be ok with Halfords.

After year 3 Suzuki provide a ‘Service Activated Warranty’ which is valid for 1 year and renews each time you get the car serviced up to a car 7 years old. You don’t even need a full service history to get this extended warranty.

Details here
cars.suzuki.co.uk/owners/warranty/

So provided you keep getting the vehicle serviced by Suzuki it’s 7 years, otherwise it’s 3 years.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
11 Jan 2024 21:03 - 11 Jan 2024 21:04 #253440 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic new Gen4 or not ?
Yes, in theory it is now 7 years. But like Roger highlighted, if your 3 years ended before April this year, you are not covered. Mine expired last week of Feb '23 and Suzuki didn't introduce the Service activated warranty until April, about 6 weeks after my service. I have been arguing with the Dealer and Suzuki UK, but they are resolute that the car isn't covered until it is serviced next.

Sums up my experience with Suzuki sadly. All a bit crap.... certainly wouldn't look to buy another Suzuki based on manufacture and dealer support & aftercare.
Last edit: 11 Jan 2024 21:04 by 300bhpton.

More
11 Jan 2024 21:19 #253443 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:new Gen4 or not ?
You simply have to get another Suzuki service and you are covered, even if there is a lapse

Sent from my ThinkPhone by motorola using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
11 Jan 2024 21:40 - 11 Jan 2024 21:41 #253444 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Re:new Gen4 or not ?

You simply have to get another Suzuki service and you are covered, even if there is a lapse

I have a service plan with the dealer. But it doesn't need a service until Feb this year... however, because I missed the Service Activated Warranty start by 6 weeks. Suzuki and the dealer are refusing to cover any warranty items until it is serviced next. Which IMO is rather petty, as from my perspective I've owned the vehicle from new and have had a dealer service plan the entire time without missing a service or being late for one.

In fact, this is my 2nd service plan as the original dealer closed in Covid and took my money for the 1st service plan!

If you where to draw a timeline the dealer service and ownership will be unbroken, but the period of warranty cover has a gap, due to nothing more than red tape.
Last edit: 11 Jan 2024 21:41 by 300bhpton.

More
11 Jan 2024 22:14 #253445 by Roger Fairclough
I have started to apply a coat of bitumastic paint to the underside of Tonka. Due to personal reasons I did not complete the process but when I asked Suzuki for their comments regarding this work they basically said that they would check my work and look for reasons to say my work may have caused corrosion. As I will be paying at least £250 for labour for the next service I am considering doing it myself and forgoing the benefits of this extended warranty.

Roger

More
12 Jan 2024 05:30 - 12 Jan 2024 05:42 #253446 by mlines
@300bhpton That is probably correct either because the dealer service plan did not conform with the Suzuki guidelines or it was not considered a qualifying service, that is the catch in the small print. I heard that when the service activated warranty was introduced only a couple of dealers in the south of the country had compliant service plans. To reduce service plan costs they were offering reduced services

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Last edit: 12 Jan 2024 05:42 by mlines.

More
12 Jan 2024 09:29 #253447 by Roger Fairclough
The following is taken from the Service Activated Warranty Schedule.
Exclusions clause 6.
"Vehicles modified in any way from the original manufacturer's specification".

Roger.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
12 Jan 2024 10:17 #253448 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:new Gen4 or not ?
Just goes to support it as being another money making confidence hustle. Not for me, thanks.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
12 Jan 2024 12:00 #253451 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re:new Gen4 or not ?

The following is taken from the Service Activated Warranty Schedule.
Exclusions clause 6.
"Vehicles modified in any way from the original manufacturer's specification".

Roger.

I never read that..

So that is pretty much all of us excluded then.

It isn't like the obligatory responsibility where as long as the mod didn't cause the problem they can't get out of it, it is a "free" perk and they are able to set whatever conditions they like, reasonable or not.

(gripes the man with dinitrol, a transfer skid plate, tow bar, tie-downs etc.....)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
12 Jan 2024 13:54 #253452 by mlines
The interpretation I have direct experience of is the "as long as the modification didnt cause the problem"

Martin

More
12 Jan 2024 16:41 #253456 by Roger Fairclough
I accept Martins viewpoint, but as Suzuki have included this clause then it does give them absolute control of any situation.

As a matter of interest, I have made 33 mods to my Jimny, some big, some small, but in the eyes of the law, they are mods.

As that excludes any access to the 7 year warranty, that just leaves the 12 year anti corrosion warranty but Suzuki have told me that adding a coat of bitumen paint will probable invalidate that, so there is little incentive to continue with having Suzuki servicing Tonka.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds