× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

What year did Hill Start Assist become available in the Jimny?

More
06 Dec 2023 00:13 #252652 by ColombiaJimnyGuy
I tried googling and watching reviews to confirm, but I am not 100% sure. Did this feature start in 2019?

I am researching buying my first Jimny as an upgrade to my 1998 Jeep XJ (with turbo!). I want something smaller, more modern, but still a capable off roader. I am an American living in Colombia for 5+ years now. We do not have Jimny's that I can remember in the USA but here I see them a lot. There are some 2015-2017 Jimny's for a decent price here but I am not sure if they have hill start assist. With the hills and traffic where I am I will foot the bill for a newer model if I have to. Thanks for any advice!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Dec 2023 07:22 #252656 by saxj
Hill start assist was only added in 2019. If you are coming from an XJ, there is a huge difference in terms of power and torque. 

More
06 Dec 2023 08:25 #252657 by mlines
It was added in the 2019 models onwards.

However, make sure that the local models in Columbia have it installed. There are regional differences in the specifications of the vehicles and whilst you are likely to see UK, Europe and Australaisa owners talking about these features, not all countries got them. For example some markets got virtually no electronics at all  eg. some countries having strange handle things on the inside of the doors which you have to turn to make the windows go up and down :)

This applies to items such as Fog and DRLs, Lidar, Airbag systems, lighting specifications etc.

Some markets got "more" that UK/EMEA such as push button start, idle engine stop/start, keyless entry

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
06 Dec 2023 09:44 #252659 by Phaeton
Some local ones are even available with the steering wheel & pedals on the passenger side.

More
06 Dec 2023 10:02 #252660 by Roger Fairclough
Plus electric folding mirrors.

Roger

More
06 Dec 2023 10:06 #252661 by 300bhpton
With a manual Jimny, I can't say that I find the hill start assist all they useful on road. It really doesn't hold for very long and is easier to just use the handbrake.

It has been handy off road a couple of times. But in almost 4 years of ownership and 25,000 miles I think I've only used it a few times.

More
06 Dec 2023 10:39 #252662 by Soeley
I have it turned on permanently, it holds or 3 seconds which is more than enough time for you to take you foot off the brake and engage the clutch. You don't even know it is there most of the time in day to day driving. 

More
06 Dec 2023 11:42 #252663 by yakuza
Subaru had this in 1981. :side:

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
06 Dec 2023 12:53 #252664 by ColombiaJimnyGuy
Really? there are some cool old Subaru's in Colombia in great condition. Leone I believe. I probably want something newer I always have bought old but when you tell me that, tempting...

More
06 Dec 2023 12:56 #252665 by ColombiaJimnyGuy
Thank you all for the advice! I will check some out and try driving. The hills around Medellin and traffic are NO JOKE so I honestly can see hill start assist being very helpful. Once you are out of town it's not a big deal but just in terms of being stuck on these hills and having to monkey around does not sound appealing.

My XJ is a pig on gas (and natural gas it has both). In most major cities in Colombia you cannot drive your car 1 day a week depending on a digit in the license plate. I put the natural gas in my jeep to get out of that loophole, I would not do this to a Jimny. Electric cars are also waived from the program they call Pico y Placa. 

More
06 Dec 2023 16:06 - 06 Dec 2023 16:07 #252667 by facade

Subaru had this in 1981. :side:

Lots of automatic cars had it in The Real Olden Days (1950s & 60s), it was called "anti-creep" and was supposed to stop the car creeping forwards if you didn't have your foot on the brake, but it worked as an anti-roll back too.

The gearbox supplied pressure to the rear brakes when your foot was off the accelerator. I don't know how it knew the car was stationary, maybe it was all the time it was in first gear, or maybe there was an extra pump on the output shaft that would open a valve  when the car was moving (very likely as I'm sure you could bump start them so there must have been a pump on the output to provide pressure to engage gear)..

I'm sure my late father's 1964 Rover P5 had it.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 06 Dec 2023 16:07 by facade.

More
06 Dec 2023 18:48 #252670 by Scimike
You made me Google (it must be correct)

If we exclude horse drawn vehicles and apply to the horseless carriage we have today it was1936 Studebaker....

I still count the handbrake as hill start assist, find bite point and release, one smooth action, not that difficult 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds