BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now closed at 148 vehicles!!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone there

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

sorry yet another tyres question from new owner

More
14 Nov 2023 10:33 #252118 by bishopwishart
I have done some reading here which was helpful, but remain a bit confused.  I have bought a reasonable condition 2005 manual with Dueler H/Ts with good tread left, and a new matching spare.  I will be doing 10-12k pa.

Most of the time the Jimny will be on potholed lanes on the south downs with the odd 40 min run on A roads.

Twice a year it will go to Europe for  2 x 4 weeks, the route involving good A roads, but possibly very wet and or icy in the winter.

The destination will be in Alps, where it will be hilly with some snow in the winter.  In the summer it will go up a steep flinty/gravelly track (no mud) which can get very wet.  The final 400 meters is across a steep grass field.  It is not serious off road though.

In a way I wish it had come with slightly more capable AT tyres, as I could have been OK with the slightly more uncomfortable long trips, in exchange for the security.  But it didn't.  I dont have much money to throw at it but want to be safe. I will need to take it out on snowy hilly days. So thoughts gratefully appreciated.  Drive it as it is?  Buy some ATs and sell the HTs?  Have 2 pairs and swap?  (storage not great)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2023 11:38 #252119 by yakuza
Hi. No worries, it is allways a consideration of wallet, storage, conditions, and basic need.
For snow and Ice a set of real winter tyres (three peak snowflake) is my recommendation allways.
If that is not an option, and there is no problem parking the car and stay of the roads when conditions are beyond the "normal" tyres, I would rather have one set of fresh tyres than two sets of older. Better to wear out one set so that it is more affordable to change for fresh new rubber more often. (difficult with a light weight jimny to wear out tyres though)

But wich tyres.. the more fine lines and edges in the tread pattern the better. And softer rubber grips better when cold.

My BFG AT was OK for winter use the first 2-3 years but then got hard and slippy. Great still for most other conditions. For prolonged life there must be better tyres for the winter though.

Remeber that your old tyres may even fetch some cash for the new ones if sold at half tread life when/if you need fresher rubber for winter use.

For most other conditions allmost any AT tyre will do great at what you describe, but stay off the cheapest brands and stay with the main types.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
14 Nov 2023 13:56 #252120 by DrRobin
I would second what yakuza says, a decent set of ATs would fit your needs and no need to go silly for BFG or Maxxis.

My own preference would be either Yokohama Geolandar 205/70 r15 (£90 on Blackcircles) or Hancook Dynapro (£86 on Blackcircles), I have had both and both are good tyres, but there are plenty of others out there.

I did run 2 x Geolandar on the back and 2 x Dueller AT on the front for a while after running Duellers all round, but AT on the back and HT on the front, it's what it came with.

Noise wise I didn't notice much difference between Dueller HT, AT, Geolandar or Dynapro and fuel consumption, etc was about the same. Both the Geolandar and Dynapro were much better off the tarmac.

I now have a set of Maxxis Worm Drive (215/75 r15) on the car, but have a spare set of alloys fitted with Dynapro, the idea was to fit the Dynapro in the summer, I did last year, but never got round to it this year.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2023 16:53 - 14 Nov 2023 16:55 #252123 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic sorry yet another tyres question from new owner
I drove in the deepish snow of 2014 with the stock Dueler H/T tyres.  Apart from a bit of side-slipping, they were absolutely fine and I never lost traction with 4WD engaged.  Winter tyres would have been better up steep hills but the Duelers are much more gnarly than the average car summer tyre.

Some European countries mandate snow tyres (by which I assume 3PMSF markings) in snowy conditions.  You would need to get different tyres for those places.  The Geolandar G015 A/T is pretty good on road and is 3PMSF marked.
Last edit: 14 Nov 2023 16:55 by rogerzilla.

More
14 Nov 2023 19:24 - 14 Nov 2023 19:25 #252129 by Scimike
Side slip was my experience on HT tyres in snow also ^^^^
You could go forward fairly well on them, but as the snow gets deeper the vehicle became more susceptible to side slips.
I then fitted 3PMSF tyres (Geolander) and the difference in snow is noticeable. Not more side slip and a "sure footed" feel to direction changes. 
It's something I will alway look for in a tyre now having experienced the difference,  but if you can't afford the tyre swap you can go most places on HT tyres in my opinion.
I was pushing the tyres in both instances over some very snowed in Scottish roads, what you described I feel your HT tyres will cope with. A set of snow socks is cheaper than new tyres if you feel the conditions warrant then fitting. But if you have the wallet capacity a set of ATs will save you getting out of the vehicle to fit socks.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 14 Nov 2023 19:25 by Scimike.

More
15 Nov 2023 08:19 #252133 by Roger Fairclough
I bought a set of s/h wheels with BFG A/T tyres for winter use. They do not take up too much room in the shed. I will be re-fitting them shortly.

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 Nov 2023 08:28 #252134 by Lambert
The main thing I have found with the duelers is that they don't age well. They harden after year 4 and both grip and ride quality starts to fall away. Mine are from 2017 and while they still have about 5mm tread they are in real terms used up. I only still use them because I am tight and want to keep some miles off my all terrain tyres.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 Nov 2023 08:37 #252135 by Lambert
I think that the best way to look at it is to think in terms of trainers, work boots and wellies. You can walk through a swamp in trainers but you run the risk of falling and getting wet feet. You can also sprint in wellies but you risk hurting your feet and tripping yourself up. For your expected use trainers will be fine or maybe at a push walking trainer boots aka a mild all terrain.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
15 Nov 2023 09:30 #252136 by 300bhpton

I have done some reading here which was helpful, but remain a bit confused.  I have bought a reasonable condition 2005 manual with Dueler H/Ts with good tread left, and a new matching spare.  I will be doing 10-12k pa.

Most of the time the Jimny will be on potholed lanes on the south downs with the odd 40 min run on A roads.

Twice a year it will go to Europe for  2 x 4 weeks, the route involving good A roads, but possibly very wet and or icy in the winter.

The destination will be in Alps, where it will be hilly with some snow in the winter.  In the summer it will go up a steep flinty/gravelly track (no mud) which can get very wet.  The final 400 meters is across a steep grass field.  It is not serious off road though.

In a way I wish it had come with slightly more capable AT tyres, as I could have been OK with the slightly more uncomfortable long trips, in exchange for the security.  But it didn't.  I dont have much money to throw at it but want to be safe. I will need to take it out on snowy hilly days. So thoughts gratefully appreciated.  Drive it as it is?  Buy some ATs and sell the HTs?  Have 2 pairs and swap?  (storage not great)?

I doubt you'll get much for you current tyres if they are part used. Obviously it can all help, but you'll need to fund buying new ones first. So it is only recouping some funds, rather than helping pay for anything new.

That said, unless you need a 3 Peak rated tyre legally, you will probably be fine if you drive sensibly.

You could always get yourself some snow socks or chains for a bit of added insurance should you need them:
www.halfords.com/motoring/car-accessories/snow-chains-socks/

If you want new tyres. Then pretty much any AT, All Season or Winter tyre should likely do you fine. If snow performance is a concern some ATs are tailored more to this end of the market.

More
15 Nov 2023 09:42 #252137 by Manxman
Worth keeping in mind that some roads in the high Alps require mandatory snow chains, so it really depends where you plan to go. The grip you get with proper chains fitted (i.e. Pewag or similar, not snow socks) is phenomenal. Otherwise I agree with 300bhpton's comments re the tyres themselves. Good luck in any case :-)

More
15 Nov 2023 21:57 #252146 by bishopwishart
well thanks everyone, really helpful.  It is good to know the stock duelers are going to be a lot better than a standard car tyre, and should be hardy enough to get up my track for c 8 months of the year.  Pre Jimny I had cars with good all-season tyres but pretty much did not take it out on snowy days in the mountains.  My first impressions of the Jimny is that I have not bought a lemon, so this is good.  So far.  I think what I will do is buy some snow chains, and see how I get on this winter.  I will keep the existing tyres for now, but check they are not too old, regardless of wear.  Then next autumn I will buy a slight compromise set of ATs on the basis they will be a) not too bad on the longer trips b) minimise to close to zero the risk of needing to put on the chains, which I will have by then. Storing and changing the tyres is a bit of a faff for me, but I can manage storing the chains.....  I should probably do all this now and be done with it but this way I get a year's use from what appear to be serviceable tyres and don't feel too bad about spending a bit more money next Autumn.  Thanks again, I will keep reading the forum for other tips.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds