BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Waxoyl or not?

More
09 Apr 2023 16:57 #248465 by GinnieB
Waxoyl or not? was created by GinnieB
Hi BigJimny folks, we have a 2013 Jimny with virtually no rust ("it's a good one" said our local garage, who checked it for us when we bought it in February). But we have conflicting opinions as to whether to get it treated with Waxoyl. Our local garage, who we trust (the one I just mentioned) says it's a good idea to do it to prevent rust forming, but our nearby Suzuki dealer says not to bother, as any spots of rust will be sealed in.

What's everyone's opinion? Many thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2023 18:03 #248468 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Waxoyl or not?
Dinitrol.

They make many magic fluids, including cavity waxes designed to penetrate rust, displace water and inhibit corrosion.

If you take it to a proper agent, they will determine what you need.

It stinks to high heaven for weeks though when applied to the internal box sections.

Externally, you can use Dinitrol or lanolin based products- basically spray on waterproof grease.

I spent a day Dinitroling my 2000 Jimny before it got too rusty, and it is still running round now (I suppose it could have had extensive welding though- I can vouch for it not needing welding at 19 years old)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
09 Apr 2023 18:26 #248469 by GinnieB
Replied by GinnieB on topic Waxoyl or not?
That's so helpful - thank you! I won't do it myself but will look for a local company to do it for me.

More
09 Apr 2023 18:36 #248470 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Waxoyl or not?
Waxoyl is pretty good if applied to good metal. It will help prevent rust. But it isn’t the right thing to put over rust. It is messy to apply.

Dinitrol isn’t hugely different in what it does. But is a lot less messy to apply. It also wants to be applied to good metal really. I’d probably go with Dinitrol these days for easy of application.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GinnieB

More
09 Apr 2023 19:04 #248472 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Waxoyl or not?
Yes do it, your Suzuki dealer is wrong.
I've done ours and it's passing MOTs every year, 14 years and still rust free, well worth the effort on what is a rust prone vehicle.
Everyone will have a favourite substance to apply, use something rather than nothing. Lanoguard is another product that gets a good review. No used it myself. I've used waxoyl and Dinatrol, both with success. I have my favourite which is just my opinion and not worth trying to defend one over the other.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
09 Apr 2023 19:08 #248473 by GinnieB
Thank you, very much appreciated.

More
09 Apr 2023 20:45 #248474 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Waxoyl or not?
All of these under seal products work, but you need to start with a dry chassis and free of rust. If you have rust spots, treat these first and make sure the underside is very dry before applying the under seal.

When mine was done (with Waxoyl) they took the car in, cleaned it then kept it in the workshop on the ramps overnight before applying, that way it was good and dry.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
10 Apr 2023 22:50 - 10 Apr 2023 22:53 #248494 by Bob1050
Replied by Bob1050 on topic Waxoyl or not?
As the weather warms up - now is the time to start planning if you are thinking about a diy job. I've done other vehicles on a warm sunny day - the underside has been cleaned, thoroughly dried off and the Waxoyl (or similar) goes on a treat and then the solvent evaporates off. Messy job and you get to really learn about the underside of your vehicle and where the dirt and moisture traps are located. Used a cheap plant spray from B&Q which got the Waxoyl into all the nooks and crannies - I also know that no shortcuts were taken and key parts missed!
Last edit: 10 Apr 2023 22:53 by Bob1050.

More
11 Apr 2023 08:38 #248498 by GinnieB
Thank you. It's not a job I do myself as I am no mechanic but will definitely find someone to do it for me for me. Thanks for the advice!

More
11 Apr 2023 16:14 #248512 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Waxoyl or not?
I think I saw that your Jimny is up for sale (please ignore the following comments if I have got this wrong), you might want to hold off the Waxoyl as once applied a new buyer cannot inspect the underside and if a potential buyer books an inspection then this Waxoyl preventing chassis inspection could be highlighted in the report.

It might be better to let a new buyer see it first, even if you agree to Waxoyl it before the deal completes.

If you are not selling, then yes Waxoyl or other treatment is definately a good investment.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
11 Apr 2023 21:36 #248514 by GinnieB
Yes, I am considering selling it but if there are no takers will hang onto it and do the treatment. Great advice, thank you!

More
13 Apr 2023 18:53 - 15 Apr 2023 17:37 #248550 by Motacilla
Replied by Motacilla on topic Waxoyl or not?
I had Dinitrol done to my Gen4. Only thing I will add to the above is that it really is worth paying a pro. The place I went removed wheelarch liners, intensively cleaned the chassis, dried it in the shop, and applied the material so carefully that they even tidily masked off the chassis number stamping. They applied some coating inside the doors as well, so the door bottoms won't corrode if water gets in. Took three full shop days but well worth it.

As Facade said above, Dinitrol is rather fragrant stuff, and you'll be smelling it for weeks. Not too bad, but definitely noticeable.
Last edit: 15 Apr 2023 17:37 by Motacilla.

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds