BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New to Jimny's

More
25 Nov 2022 09:15 - 25 Nov 2022 09:17 #246102 by Japseroony
New to Jimny's was created by Japseroony
Hi Folks

So this is my first post on here and I an new to the Jimny world having been a LR guy for 15 years. Used to compete in winch events and indeed became one part of Cheviot 4x4 Club setting up events in the North East of which there were a few Jimny's competing.

I have just sold my Defender as it was just not getting used and was worth a great deal of money so recouped that and looking for a car to enjoy that is capable of doing some off roading.

Been looking at the Jimny and can't decide on the commercial or the car but either way what will I need to make one half decent around the doors but also as a green lane vehicle - I guess tyres, suspension lift/better suspension and some guards etc but will I need wheels, changing the drive shafts, brake hoses (extended) etc etc?

Any and all advice is welcome 
Last edit: 25 Nov 2022 09:17 by Japseroony.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2022 09:27 - 25 Nov 2022 09:28 #246103 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic New to Jimny's
Hi and welcome.
Jimny is fairly good with just a set of good tyres and a transfer box guard in my opinion. After that you can spend as much cash as you want for the gains they may bring. 
Most go straight to suspension lift after this, then larger tyres to improve the actual ground clearance. Tyre size changes brings performance and body clearance issues, always be guided by the good people on here if you go this route.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 25 Nov 2022 09:28 by Scimike.

More
25 Nov 2022 09:57 #246105 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic New to Jimny's
On the subject of Commercial or car versions - because of it's almost total lack of a usable boot, my back seats are permanently folded, unless I really need to cart people around, and then I would use the missus's car rather.

More
25 Nov 2022 10:33 #246106 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic New to Jimny's
Yes I am the same. if you don't move people (more than two), most end up with what has become the commercial. That's rear seats folded down all the time or, as I my case, removed totally. Possibly more of a GEN 3 issue as the folded seats don't make a level load area, but I would have no problems with a G4 commercial layout. But it's down to your circumstances, makes no difference to off or on road performance.Not 100% sure if the G4 commercial seats are further forward (due to load space compliance) than the none commercial version. If true possibly something to consider if you are long of leg.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
25 Nov 2022 11:42 #246109 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic New to Jimny's
A Jimny is best considered as a cross between a side by side and a defender. A sort of happy medium, not quite as good off road in standard from as a side by side but better for towing and road use yet not as good as a defender at towing but much more comfortable and lighter so better in tight confinement and soft ground. I may be biased as I have had 5 Jimnys.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
25 Nov 2022 13:22 #246111 by Japseroony
Replied by Japseroony on topic New to Jimny's
Had a drive in the commercial and the bulkhead stops the seat going back as far as I would like as the rear seat sits too upright but I can either remove the bulkhead or sit slightly further forwards, its not a problem.

After the test drive I was quite impressed and think I need one in my life - just need to work out a budget for some bits really.

Hate the steel wheels but like the alloys and think I would got for some slightly over sized tyres such as the BFG's - recommendations please.

Don't want to change it too much as it would be a green lane and road car but need it to be capable.

More
25 Nov 2022 13:49 #246112 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic New to Jimny's
I have a Gen3, live just to the west of Newcastle, not sure if you are nearby?

I have recently fitted Maxxis Worm-Drives in 215/70R15 to my alloys after looking at these and BFG KO2s. There were a couple of people on here said there wasn't much to choose between them, but for grip the Maxxis seemed to come out slightly ahead. I also have a set of Hankook Dynapro on a second set of alloys, there isn't much difference between the two on the road in normal conditions.

I haven't gone for a lift and I think a Gen 4 can take a bigger size without a lift, but you might need to trim the wheel arch.

I do a little bit of green laning, I have ground the bottom a few times, most likely the radius arm mounts (now fitted with guards) or possibly one of the diffs, but so far haven't damaged anything.

I fitted a steering damper as think the steering is too light, especially above 50MPH and also fitted front and rear recovery points.

I have retained the rear seats, but made a box to sit in the boot well and just making a load carrier liner to sit over the seats when folded and give our dog something level to sit on. I think you can buy one for the Gen 4.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

The following user(s) said Thank You: Japseroony

More
25 Nov 2022 13:56 #246113 by Abudougal
Replied by Abudougal on topic New to Jimny's
There's a guy just posted a blue 2005 one for very sensible cash in the forum which is what I have and I totally love it, it gets used for all sorts of things and I tried to get it stuck in deep wet mud on road tyres once and completely failed, at that point I thought why waste money on chunky tyres, I'll run these out first.

More
25 Nov 2022 17:26 #246122 by Japseroony
Replied by Japseroony on topic New to Jimny's
Many thanks and we are in Seaton Delaval so happy to meet you if you are available, I could come to you or we could meet somewhere?

More
25 Nov 2022 17:47 #246123 by jlines
Replied by jlines on topic New to Jimny's
Hi,

I have two Jimnys one an SZ5 and the other a commercial. I’ve found with Jimnys over the years it’s best to keep them near standard and lightweight as possible. If you go down the modding route then a simple set of either ATs or Mud terrains 215/75/R15 will make the car very capable without effecting the gearing or needing a lift. Both our Jimnys run BFG Km3 215/75/R15 one with a 2inch lift and the other standard. If you want to perk the car up a bit then a 2inch 50mm lift is about all you want to do. If you’re really off-roading it then you might want some underbody protection as Jimnys suffer lower ground clearance even when lifted compared to Land Rovers. Anything more significant Mod wise will start to affect the cars performance and be more prone to breaking parts. Start off standard and build the car up to where you are happy with.
Attachments:

More
26 Nov 2022 21:56 #246134 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic New to Jimny's
I live a few miles from you, but sail out of Blyth which is quite close to you. PM with contact details sent.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
27 Nov 2022 07:59 #246135 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic New to Jimny's
If you look at the current commercial and the seat does not seem to quite go back far enough then move the seat forward and increase the angle of the back. I know it sounds counter intuative to move it forward to "move it back" but it does work where only a little more leg room is needed.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds