BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Basic Jimny 2003 Lube Advice for Novice

More
22 Oct 2022 13:41 #245529 by bonairediver2021
Need some advice on what parts (and how to) lubricate on my old 2003 Jimny.  I'm a total novice when it comes to car mechanical things, but want to try to lubricate any parts I can easily lubricate myself.  Any suggestions greatly welcomed!  Bought the old Jimny used from Japan (right hand drive) and its great fun as an 'island car', but I'd like to keep it running as long as possible.  Is it a bad idea to use WD40 on moving parts (wheels/beneath the car etc.)??? thanks for any advice!  (I'm worried that if I take it to the local island garage they may make things worse rather than better).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2022 14:34 - 22 Oct 2022 14:35 #245531 by Scimike
Not much under a Jimny will actually benefit from WD40 as most moving parts that need lubricants are sealed from the outside world.
What are you planning to target with the WD40?
Better to simply service the vehicle and correct any issues you may find. They are very easy to work on and only need basic tools. 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 22 Oct 2022 14:35 by Scimike.

More
22 Oct 2022 22:08 - 22 Oct 2022 22:08 #245533 by RainerK
WD40 is actually not so much a lubricant. It acts more like a kind of solvent. So I do not use this except for loosening bolts etc.
For corrosion protection there are quite some products and for lubrication there would be other, also much better products.
Last edit: 22 Oct 2022 22:08 by RainerK.

More
23 Oct 2022 18:26 #245543 by jackonlyjack
If you mean lubrication of the bushes I would say spray them with a silicone based spray 
If you check out the bigjimny wiki page for information and how to guides 

Jack 

More
24 Oct 2022 22:31 #245565 by bonairediver2021
"most moving parts" under the 2003 Jimny are sealed.... Thank you for that info!! Super helpful! How often do you need to have those sealed parts opened and lubricated by a mechanic? I bought my car used from Japan about 3 years ago (2003 model with lots of miles on it) and I suspect the mechanics in Japan serviced it pretty well prior to shipping to the small island I live on.... Maybe I don't need to have any work on it for a while yet since it's running well for my little island slow driving and I drive on flat roads for short distances? I just thought maybe I could 'grease' something under the car or around the wheels or something ( I know nothing about cars but have managed to keep this little Jimny running for 3 years). Thanks for your insights!

More
24 Oct 2022 22:33 #245566 by bonairediver2021
Thanks! I'm such a novice...I don't even know what the bushes are?

I'll check out those links you sent, thanks!!

More
24 Oct 2022 22:36 #245567 by bonairediver2021
Thanks for the warning on WD40 !! Much appreciated!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
25 Oct 2022 04:01 #245569 by Lambert
With the exception of the engine oil every 9 thousand miles and the brake fluid every 2 years the rest of the fluids on the Jimny are given as inspection items. Unless you are operating the car in severe conditions such as very dusty, regular deep water crossing, extensive periods of heavy towing, and things like that then the service intervals become very much shorter. It's all laid out in the owners hand book.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
25 Oct 2022 11:37 #245572 by fordem
In Bonaire I would suggest you replace the engine oil at a much shorter interval than 9000 miles - I would go as low as every 3000 - short trips are considered severe service.

More
26 Oct 2022 13:25 #245592 by bonairediver2021
Thanks, but the only books that came with the used car (2003 model bought 3 years ago) are in Japanese!

More
26 Oct 2022 13:27 #245593 by bonairediver2021
Thanks for that great suggestion! I am wary of trusting the island mechanics do even an oil change and oil filter change (if they can find the proper oil filter)....worried they could do more harm than good. Any chance they could do more damage than good help by just changing the oil and filter? The car's working well now except for the radiator leak at the top crimps...and I'd hate to go for an oil change only to have more problems show up later.

More
26 Oct 2022 17:06 #245599 by Scimike
Difficult for us to say if your island mechanics will do more harm than good performing an oil change, but it's one of the simpler jobs to do yourself if you don't trust them. They shouldn't if they are mechanics, but fitting wrong parts or incorrect oil levels could damage things.
Do you know anyone who can help you that enjoys working on vehicles?
If you don't trust them and don't have the confidence to do it yourself then the best option is to leave everything alone. Just check the oil level (dip stick) and add some if required.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds