BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Grind/rattle noises

More
19 Aug 2022 18:25 #244623 by grumyoldjoe
Hi guys
2013 Jimny
Getting some strange grinding/rattling noises but only when everything hot say after 5 or 6 miles. Mostly happens changing up from 1st to 2nd and sometimes 3rd. Mainly around the 20mph range. Also get some rattling type noise when taking foot off the gas, again at the 20 mark.
Have had oil levels in boxes checked as ok and intend to change them next week with fresh.
Cant see anything obvious loose underneath. Gear changes feel smooth and no loose or tightness on clutch
Bit worrying these noises. Any ideas welcome

Wine improves with age.
The older I get the more I like it

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 Aug 2022 18:49 #244624 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Grind/rattle noises
Is it a light zinging noise or a heavier vibration or knocking noise? Your description sounds like a catalytic converter heat shield, they only tend to start once warm and only at certain RPM.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: grumyoldjoe

More
19 Aug 2022 19:15 #244626 by Peterbst
Replied by Peterbst on topic Grind/rattle noises
Hi, I had a strange rattling noise, when putting in gear (automatic) when cold. This was has been said by Lambert, the catalyst heat shield. One bolt completely rusted away. My rattle goes when he’s hot!

Worth checking as an easy fix.

Pete

More
19 Aug 2022 19:16 #244627 by grumyoldjoe
Replied by grumyoldjoe on topic Grind/rattle noises
More the former. Deffo no knocking
Ive had a quick grab of most things underneath and nothing seems loose etc. Will look further tomorrow though when its hot.
Cheers for the suggestion

Wine improves with age.

More
20 Aug 2022 17:25 #244654 by grumyoldjoe
Replied by grumyoldjoe on topic Grind/rattle noises
Update
Looks like all heat shields etc are solid so not coming from there.
Stuck a camera underneath after first driving 12.5 miles to get noise to start again.
2nd gear mostly, foot off gas at 20mph noise starts
Have vid with sound but cant upload here for some reason. Im guessing because its in mp4 format?

Wine improves with age.

More
23 Aug 2022 11:16 #244699 by Halford
Replied by Halford on topic Grind/rattle noises
check the 4wd drive locking front hubs, it's possible they could be ever so slightly catching when they either warm a tad or experience pressure from either a left or right hand bend

certainly worth a look, can sounds like a machine gun type rattle when they catch

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds