BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Trivial question about Jimny Gen4 model name

More
08 Jun 2022 09:21 #243626 by thispasito
I have seen the model JB74V here and there. Just wondering if this is referring to the "van/commercial" vehicle since the normal wagon variant is JB74W. Or is it just a reference to the VIN. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2022 15:16 #243631 by mlines
I suspect people are "making it up" based on the VIN Number having a V in it.

For the Jimny the real identity is in the "Model Code" on the VIN Plate.

For reference we are now up to "Type 3" although the UK only got Type 1. My Jimny Van is a Type 1 even though parts of the world had moved to type 2 (a few minor cosmetic tweeks)

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Attachments:

More
08 Jun 2022 20:20 #243633 by lightning
So where did the name "Jimny" come from

More
08 Jun 2022 22:19 - 08 Jun 2022 22:21 #243635 by Scimike
I've seen a few suggestions and none can be confirmed as true, but it's fun to speculate.

1) Jeep but Mini = Jimny 
2) Originally intended to be called the 'Jimmy' after some Suzuki executive visited Scotland, but linguistics errors arose in translation and they ended up calling it the 'Jimny". 
3) Named after that Disney small, smart and reliable character - Jiminy Cricket.

Any others?

Was it ever marketed as " Suzuki Rhino", that would explain the fat unicorn badge on the back?

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 08 Jun 2022 22:21 by Scimike.

More
09 Jun 2022 09:36 #243636 by mlines
My own theory is that it is simply a pleasing phonetic name in Japanese ie. doesnt mean anything but sounds nice

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
10 Jun 2022 09:03 #243657 by lightning
Could be.

l suppose we are lucky it's not called a "Bongo Friendee" like my friend's imported Japanese day van.

More
26 Jun 2022 09:59 #243829 by facade
There is nothing in my Boys Book of Suzuki 4x4 about it, but several theories on t'interweb as above.

I've never found Jimny written in Kanji, which would tell us what it means, only katakana ジムニー  which are phonetic characters for Ji mu ni.

There are pictures of one with 侍の字孫 on the side which means Samuai's grandson, and it isn't official Suzuki .

侍 = samuari    の = of    字孫 (together) = grandchildren.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
26 Jun 2022 22:12 #243846 by crash486
Here's an off the wall theory I heard about the Jimny name...
In 1970 GMC released the Jimmy in the US.
In 1970 Suzuki released the Jimny in the US.
Anyone know the US release dates for the Jimny model?

crash486 JB74W

More
26 Jun 2022 23:59 - 27 Jun 2022 00:03 #243848 by zukebob
In 1985 Suzuki introduced the first SJ series in the U.S. but it was badged the Samurai. It never came in as a Jimny. A few years later they began selling the Sidekick/Vitara.

Aside from the official Suzuki Corp imports, there was a independent company (can no longer remember their name) that tried selling some LJs. That was the 1970ish time frame. Very short-lived and unsuccessful. As they were never officially intended for the U.S. market, they may have had the Jimny label.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
Last edit: 27 Jun 2022 00:03 by zukebob.
The following user(s) said Thank You: crash486

More
27 Jun 2022 12:51 #243854 by fordem
www.lj10.com/lj_history/

The LJ10.com website has a short write up on the history of LJ sales in the US - it identifies the importer as Intercontinental Equipment Corporation and it doesn't look like they were "unsuccessful".

One of the things that has puzzled me is I've seen a picture of the chassis plate on an SJ410 that proclaims the vehicle to be compliant with US emission requirements and I haven't been able to figure out who would have been responsible for ensuring such compliance.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
27 Jun 2022 14:04 #243856 by Lambert
Would it be Suzuki when they did the homologation?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
27 Jun 2022 18:37 #243860 by fordem
Why would Suzuki homolgate a vehicle that they weren't building for sale in the US market? That is what is puzzling me - I suspect the label may have been altered in some way.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds