BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Wishful thinking?

More
22 Apr 2022 12:04 #243051 by Bill Portland
This is being suggested as a potential for the USA market

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2022 12:37 #243052 by Axholme Lion
Replied by Axholme Lion on topic Wishful thinking?
No thanks. EV's are the betamax video of the future. Petrol will be around for a long time yet to come and then we should have progress with hydrogen.

More
22 Apr 2022 15:26 #243056 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Wishful thinking?
This makes really interesting listening

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00162yr

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirtbird, RumbleAndSway

More
22 Apr 2022 19:31 #243066 by Dirtbird
Replied by Dirtbird on topic Wishful thinking?
Just a quick one Martin. Got the fog light bracket and an OEM fog lamp all installed and all good. Thanks. Jon

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

More
22 Apr 2022 19:45 #243069 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Wishful thinking?
I know looks wise they have only changed the front grille and bumper. But why do the always have to make EV's look so alien? That has ruined the looks of the Gen4.

And whilst I'm at it a lot of manufacturers seem to put the charging port in a lopsided fashion in the grille or somewhere, why not just have it behind the flap where the filler cap would be on the petrol version?

More
23 Apr 2022 06:30 #243075 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Wishful thinking?
Here in Norway more than half of the cars are EV's. They work great and run much cheaper.
Due to the import tax the 20 or so imported used gen4 Jimnys cost the same as a Tesla model3 long range or a id4 gtx
Suzuki has no EV's in their line up of cars and so the brand is almost dead here.

All my friends has EV's and the hundreds of euros pr month they save on Petrol, pays for their new EV car loan.

Hydrogen will never be. Too costly and energy consuming to produce. Too difficult to distribute.

EV's here in Norway is not the future. It is the present.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 Apr 2022 07:15 #243077 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Wishful thinking?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
23 Apr 2022 08:14 #243079 by RumbleAndSway
Replied by RumbleAndSway on topic Wishful thinking?
Well worth a listen.

Spoiler alert. The argument for EV’s is, at best, underwhelming.

More
24 Apr 2022 17:26 #243130 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Wishful thinking?
A few observations from the EV-country:
Price -depending on fuel and electricity prices all EV-owners I know save money. Mostly because the purchase price here is almost half of a new petrol car due to the import tax.

Fires -Cant say that i see more EV fires than petrol cars. when they catch fire the fire fighters still test how to put them out. it is not so easy when the fire produce oxygen

Range -there is alot of old EV's here now with less range but i cannot say I see EV's with empty batterys all over. When I see a tow truck or "AA" car very rarely the car in need of help is an EV. not so strange when new cars are EV and old ones is petrol maybe. Even with the cold winters.

The planet -More or less all Norwegian electricity is hydroelectric. As green as it gets. the rest is wind or, believe it or not, swedish or british import power. The load on the grid here with everyone driving EV's has not had a great impact on the grid or the prices.

I got an old Swift for my daughter and wich ever way I calculate I would save money if I bought a used i3, Leaf, e-Golf or e-Up instead. Those three can be bought cheap like about twice the Swift price at approx 8000€. But the range is way less than my Swift. But for a daily it can work for her with 60-80 miles range. However the swift is 4x4 and the EV's are not.

For now though I will continue using my Jimny zero-emissions car. It stays in the garage all week when I walk to work or to buy grocery and does not pollute at all!

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds