BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Winch/battery questions

More
02 Apr 2022 21:59 #242692 by TheHillsAreAliveWithTheSoundOfSheep
Evening all, 
I know similar threads have been started before but after reading up here and other zuk pages I'm still non the wiser. 
Although I get by, my mechanical knowledge (particularly the electrical aspect) is novice at best so please bear with me...

I'm looking into adding a winch to my jimny (steel winch bumper fitted and upgraded suspension etc in place already so physical fitment isn't too much of a concern right now)

My main question is regarding battery/alternator power... 
And where the 'safe usable lbs limit/amp draw' is before I kill something in my current setup.

The winch will be for self recovery or at most, recovery of another jimny/vitara.
I won't be sat in pay n play clay swamps, up to the windows.

It's mainly a backup in the event I get caught short while out on my own and end up in a normal green lane  'stuck' situation... raised wheel, muddy rut, beached diff, no traction etc.

I currently have a dual 'parallel' battery setup under the bonnet in the jimny (already fitted by PO ready for a winch) with what I believe is the standard alternator still.

Main battery is - Yuasa YBX3057 (400CCA)
Second battery - Lion battery 038 (330CCA).

Will these batteries in this setup have the guts to power a reasonable enough sized winch if I'm not doing anything too daft? 

second question- It seems like we're limited on choice of winch size/availability in the UK. 

Can anyone recommend a brand/size that are actually available, are decent enough for the job and aren't going to give the Mrs a heart attack??

what size can i realistically get away with in terms of decent usable pulling strength/performance for the truck? 

Many thanks.
Tom 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2022 22:20 #242693 by gv42
Replied by gv42 on topic Winch/battery questions
Hi Go to TAYNA for batterys and I have the 096se Exide Excell EB712, on my 2 jimnys for the winch as it has a good 670A CCA , AND IT IS £53-
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheHillsAreAliveWithTheSoundOfSheep

More
03 Apr 2022 06:40 #242695 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Winch/battery questions
Your batteries are ok. For now. After alot of winching you will see if they fail or get the Job done.
Winch size should be your vehicle total weight times 1,5.
There are some 6000 winches available but most at 8000 pounds wich could be overkill. There is also some variation in how the capacity is measured as the winch pull force vary with how much line is on the spool.
And winch rope is highly recommended over steel wire.
And there is also speed, varies much between cheaper winches.
I have not bought a winch yet....

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
03 Apr 2022 07:06 - 03 Apr 2022 07:08 #242696 by LesNewell
Replied by LesNewell on topic Winch/battery questions
Your batteries are plenty for a general recovery winch. A 6000lb winch is plenty but there aren't many around that will fit your bumper. The next size up is 9500lb which is a bit overkill for a Jimny but that is most likely what your bumper was designed for.
Synthetic cable is a must. Steel is awful. If you are using synthetic you must use a hawse fairlead (the aluminium type with an oval hole). The roller type are not recommended for synthetic. If you buy the winch with cable it will come with a hawse fairlead.

One problem with front mounted winches is that they are often on the wrong end. If you are just green laning you often want to pull ourself out of trouble, rather than further into it. I use a 4500lb ATV winch that can be mounted on either end and is kept in the vehicle. 4500 is a bit low but it's done the job for me so far. A couple of times I've had to use a snatch block to double the pulling power. It's slow but it gets the job done.

For your application a cheaper brand will be fine, for example this one or this one . Another option is to keep an eye on eBay or Facebook marketplace. They sometimes turn up for a reasonable price second hand. A wireless remote is very useful, especially if you are on your own.

As well as the winch you'll need a tree strap. Wrapping a rope around trees damages both the rope and the trees. A snatch block can also be useful. Soft shackle snatch blocks are fairly cheap on eBay and weight very little. This is an example . Be careful when looking for these on eBay, many advertisers show a picture of the ring wit a shackle but if you read the listing carefully you find it's just the ring. Orange is a good colour. My soft shackes are black and they are easy to lose, especially at night.
Last edit: 03 Apr 2022 07:08 by LesNewell.

More
03 Apr 2022 07:40 #242698 by Harris
Replied by Harris on topic Winch/battery questions
With winching, bigger battery is better, and to upgrade your alternator is important too for pro longed periods of winching, that’s my advice. Also suzuki alternators are very small, they can’t cope with having to replace vast amount of energy into a battery. Also depends on what size winch your going to run ect.

More
03 Apr 2022 08:17 #242699 by Roger Fairclough
Another option is to carry a small hand held winch with a nylon 3 strand 18mm dia. tow rope. This combination can pull you in any direction and that can prove invaluable in certain circumstances. Many times you are better off pulling yourself out the way you went in! Basic principle is to connect the winch cable to your motor, the rope to the winch and the other end of the rope to the anchor. Winch away until you have stretched the rope and then drive in or out. The energy you used on the winch goes into the rope as stored kinetic energy and that is what you use to help you get out of what you are stuck in. You may need to do it more than once but the system does work.

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Apr 2022 08:41 #242700 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Winch/battery questions
I don't carry it everywhere I go because it's heavy but I have a set of chains that are designed to turn my hi-lift jack into a winch. Like everything to do with a hi-lift jack it is not for the unwary as a hi-lift is always wanting to kill you in a painful kind of way. But it does work.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
03 Apr 2022 08:43 - 03 Apr 2022 09:34 #242701 by TheHillsAreAliveWithTheSoundOfSheep
Thanks everybody for the info... much appreciated! 

Plenty to consider before making a choice then.

synthetic rope with hawse was going to be my choice as it's a lot more user friendly for sure... plus less added weight. 

My custom steel bumper probably was designed to accept a bigger winch, it's a hell of a plate on it so I assume it's not for a 3000 lb'er.

glad I'm not the only one who noticed winches seem to be grossly over or undersized for jimny application.

but I'd rather be overpowered than underpowered... I suppose your only using it when 'in dire straits' so it needs enough guts to get you out.

only ever been stuck in a suzuki once so I certainly won't be winning every time I'm out, it's literally just an extra insurance. 

I already have a nice big holdall full of tree slings/straps, kinetic rope, heavy d and loop shackles and a good quality snatch block ready for the job so that sides covered. 

Just missing the winch...

is line speed a huge factor to consider? 
I know there are many variations out there but as mentioned, it's not a challenge/trial situation so to me, as long as it can do the job and get me out, speed isn't the first priority tbh. Granted, nobody wants a foot a minute line speed but it's better than 'still stuck' I guess? 

Last edit: 03 Apr 2022 09:34 by Lambert. Reason: Swearing. Please remember this is a family friendly forum.

More
03 Apr 2022 08:48 #242702 by TheHillsAreAliveWithTheSoundOfSheep
I also have a heavy Tirfor hand winch with a large steel cable with it in the garage which ideally can sit in the back of the truck with other gear too. It's a bit bulky and heavy but again, in the event of needing recovery backwards at the moment it will do the job although a bit of a pain. 

More
03 Apr 2022 08:55 #242703 by TheHillsAreAliveWithTheSoundOfSheep
Read a lot of stuff online about people fitting isolator switches into the system?! Something to do with keeping enough battery left to start the truck again... 
apologies for being dull (I don't do electrics at all- led lights or stereos are my limit) 

can somebody please explain, ideally in laments terms how/why/where isolator switch is fitted? 

thanks very much.
Tom

More
03 Apr 2022 14:03 #242708 by Roger Fairclough
Power to the winch should come directly from the positive on the battery and it is here that the isolator switch is fitted. It is switched off until needed. Reasons for it are:- in the event of an accident, as the power line is dead, there is no chance the lead can ignite spilt fuel. Also your neighbourhood low life cant spool out cable over the roof, connect to tow bracket or similar, plug in their wonder-lead and cut your car in half.

The sort of winch I suggested is available from Machine-Mart and probably weighs about 10 lbs.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds