BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Poor servicin

More
10 Feb 2022 17:46 #241775 by Roger Fairclough
Took the Jimny in for it's 24 month service to Startins in Redditch.

Not impressed.

Engine oil level 10mm over max.

Brake fluid 10 mm over max.

All tyres between 34 and 38psi/

Spray white grease used on hinges and latches and over spray up to 100mm from hinge/latch.

No stamp in book for anti corrosion warranty. Went back for stamp. Waited whilst receptionist chatted to service staff before book returned. It was stamped but no tick for "no damage".

Rang dealership to speak to service manager, Not available but receptionist promised he would call back.

No call back.

All in all, in my opinion, a very slap dash affair.

Your comments would be appreciated.

Roger 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2022 19:02 #241777 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Poor servicing.
Well, as your title, a poor service from that dealer.

Can you take it somewhere else next time? Otherwise, write or email their manager and see if you get a response.

After you've done that, report back on what they say, if there's no reply l would definitely take it somewhere else next time.

You don't have to use a Suzuki dealer. A reputable garage can service it without invalidating the warranty.

More
10 Feb 2022 22:06 #241779 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Poor servicing.
Unfortunately my own experience of large dealers over the years has been similar. Let's call it the Halfords syndrome, high staff turn over, employees pushed for profit, lack of training = rushed poor service. They aren't all bad, but it's a lottery.
As lightning said, vote with your feet.
Find a small independent you can trust and use them for general servicing, or try another main dealer. 
As said you don't need to use main dealers or genuine Suzuki parts to maintain the warranty, it just needs to be a registered garage and serviced to schedule  with compatible parts. Get the book stamped, that's all that matters. The warranty is with Suzuki UK, or insurance company if extended, not the main dealer. They won't cover anything unless Suzuki UK say ok. 
I understand the perception that sticking with the main dealer will help in the event of a warranty claim, but it's nonsense. 
Find another garage !

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
11 Feb 2022 08:29 #241786 by Axholme Lion
Replied by Axholme Lion on topic Poor servicing.
If you don't use genuine parts you will find yourself on very thin ice should any problems occur with the engine under warranty. If a window motor breaks it wouldn't make any difference but a faulty crankshaft would be another issue. Some dealers are very good and unfortunately some aren't. We are fast approaching a point where independent motor repairers will cease to exist due to the amount of technology and special tooling require to run a workshop. Many independents are also not that hot in my opinion.

More
11 Feb 2022 16:26 - 11 Feb 2022 16:33 #241791 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Poor servicing.
You don't need to use genuine Suzuki parts to service and maintain the warranty, that's service parts, filters, oil, brake pads etc.
Under the EU Motor Vehicle Block Exemption Regulation 461/2010, manufacturers have a duty to honour the vehicle’s warranty when it is serviced outside of the dealer network, and non-OE parts fitted onto a vehicle is an insufficient reason for the warranty to be declared invalid.

Yes a crankshaft is a different matter, but if you are changing that in warranty then I suspect it's already a warranty claim!

Of course it's a personal choice, as to if they will argue more or not is the fear that sends us back to the dealer.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 11 Feb 2022 16:33 by Scimike.

More
11 Feb 2022 19:38 #241797 by Bill Portland
Replied by Bill Portland on topic Poor servicing.
Not sure of the legality of the 2nd part, but this is an extract from an email I got from Suzuki GB when I enquired about the bodywork inspection:-
"As explained previously, the servicing can be completed at any at a Dealership of your choice, however, the annual body inspection must be completed at an Authorised Suzuki Dealership in order for the perforation warranty to remain." 
​​​​​​

More
11 Feb 2022 20:54 #241798 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Poor servicing.
As I hadn't received a call from the service manager, I started to write an email to him but just before I completed it, he rang.

"I understand you have some problems over your service".

"That was yesterday".

"Oh I have only just got your message."

Now call me softy but having spoken to the receptionists at 3 other local Suzuki dealers I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Anyway, he was as disgusted as I am at the standard of service received and he will have the car back on Tuesday to give it a thorough check over, plus he will fit a set of TPMS sender units supplied by me.

Thank you all for your support and advice.

Roger
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
17 Feb 2022 11:23 - 17 Feb 2022 11:32 #241893 by Roger Fairclough
As agreed, I took the car back for rectification work, but before the due date I decided to check to see if they had ticked off the "valve clearance check" on the schedule. No they hadn't because that item did not appear on the sheet! Further investigation showed that the technician had been working to the schedule for an Ignis, not a Jimny

Anyway they had the car from 08.30 until 16.00 at which time I rang them. "I think they have had a problem getting the TPMS units to talk to the ECU". Viv and I drove to the Dealer to investigate.

Question:- Are staff trained in the art of talking rubbish.

It wasn't the unit talking to the ECU, it was that they couldn't physically fit the TPMS senders to the rim, or at least that was the story they told us. Even Viv, who is not mechanically minded said "that sounds like rubbish to me".

We took the car home and in the morning I checked it over.
They told us the new oil had been drained and the filter replaced and then oil refilled. Why? all they had to do was drain a mug full of oil and then check it. Why replace the filter?
Oil level in master cylinder lowered to correct level (full on marker) OK.
This was basic as all the other points I had rectified. The overspray was photographed and copies sent to the service manager. He emailed his comment that this was unacceptable.

This morning I took the motor to Mr Tyre and they fitted the units without any problems. A short - 1.5 mile trip - and the ECU agreed with the TPMS units that all was well and the warning lights went out. Back home I dropped the pressures that Mr Tyre had pumped them too - 40 psi - back to a reasonable 24 psi.

I feel knackered. The service I received from Startins is beyond belief. On the way home I found an independent garage and asked for a quote for a 12 month service. "About £90" was the reply.

All I need to do is get a quote for the 12 month anti corrosion warranty which will probably need to be done at a Suzuki dealer but you can guess which one I wont be going to.

Oh, by the way, I checked with 3 other fairly local dealers as to the cost of a 24 month service.
Worcester...£258...same as Redditch, but they are a Startins.
Stratford.....£450...to be expected, Bills got a lot to answer for!
Kidderminster...£475...now I didn't expect that.

Roger 
Last edit: 17 Feb 2022 11:32 by Lambert. Reason: Swearing. Please remember this is a family friendly forum.

More
18 Feb 2022 18:57 - 18 Feb 2022 18:59 #241906 by lightning
What's your mileage? The valve check is due at 24,000
lt's pointless doing it after two years if the vehicle has only done 8,000

All it means is you'd need to do it a second time at 24,000

lt's easy to spend a lifetime stressing about valve checks, cam belt changes, brake fluid changes, oil change intervals etc
Last edit: 18 Feb 2022 18:59 by lightning.

More
18 Feb 2022 19:43 #241907 by Roger Fairclough
The Jimny check sheet has valve clearance inspection at the second service which is 25,000 miles or 24 months. Bearing in mind Martins comment that cam cover gaskets were in short supply, I mentioned to the service manager that inspection at 6,900 miles was superfluous as the engine was quiet and running correctly. He just nodded. It was only after the debacle of the service that I decided to check to see if the technician had actually ticked the relevant box to say he had done it and it was then that we found that they were using the check sheet for an Ignis.

I wasn't stressed but I was perturbed that the technician could overfill engine and master cylinder oil levels and spray waterproof grease onto carpets, rubber matting and plastic trim and over inflate tyres by by up to 8psi. Any technician who is this sloppy in his work cannot be trusted to carry out critical inspection to ensure the safety of the people using their cars. My worry isn't just for myself, but other people who don't know enough about their cars to realise that checking tyre pressures every week is all about being safe. To my knowledge, TPMS units don't measure over pressure.

Roger

More
19 Feb 2022 18:58 #241915 by lightning
Yeah the whole experience does sound poor, l would just sack that dealer and take it elsewhere next time.

More
19 Feb 2022 23:06 #241921 by Roger Fairclough
The dealer has offered me a £75 discount on the next service, so my options are.
a) We have provisionally accepted the deal so use it and check the motor at the dealership before going home. Get service book stamped incl. anti corrosion check. Benefits are all parts are OE, and dealer supplied MoT should be a formality.
b) Go somewhere else and pay around £100 for service and hope parts are ok and pay dealer to do anti corrosion check at unknown price. MoT should still be a formality due to low mileage and being looked after.

I have a year to think about it.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds