BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Dash cam?

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Jan 2022 13:46 #241588 by Lambert
Dash cam? was created by Lambert
With the advent of the new highway code in the UK now meaning that as a driver we've essentially been relegated to the status of guilty until proven innocent when it comes to interaction with cyclists and pedestrians, now more than ever I think the idea of a dash cam is all but essential. To that end what is a good brand or model and where is good to buy from? Want a good picture, don't really want GPS location as that's duplication of my tracking system. 

Thanks in advance. 

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2022 14:56 #241591 by JodieMarie22
Replied by JodieMarie22 on topic Dash cam?
Mine is a Nextbase. Had it maybe 4 years and still works perfectly and is easy to use and fit (suzuki fit it for me when I part exchanged for the gen 4). Not sure on the model and I don't think you can buy the same one anymore however they have a few to choose from.
Buying places also very vast - Halford, amazon, argos etc
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
30 Jan 2022 15:43 #241592 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Dash cam?
I have a BlackVue, it's the second one of there's I've had over the years. Small and discreet, it hides behind the rear view mirror. Has a phone app you can steam to (makes it easy to set the frame right). Then you can just forget about it until you need it. Can be hard wired or plugged into power socket.

More
30 Jan 2022 15:50 #241593 by Bill Portland
Replied by Bill Portland on topic Re:Dash cam?
I have nextbase, quite a few to choose from, just choose the features you want. GPS ones will show your speed, which may be a good thing, or not.

Sent from my Power Armor 13 using Tapatalk

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jan 2022 16:39 #241596 by Grima
Replied by Grima on topic Dash cam?
youngest son just passed his test. The car he past his test in had a rear view camera. So fitted a JANSITE rear view mirror dash cam + rear camera to his (new to him) car. The unit clips onto existing mirror. It's not a mirror but a touch screen. You are able to move the angle of the rear view by moving your finger on the screen. records front +back & will record if your car is broken into. The rear cam is a good quality with night vison. Cost about £70 / £80. I struggle to change a bulb but fitted this in a couple of hours. Two birds with one stone. Hope this helps.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
30 Jan 2022 16:43 #241597 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Dash cam?
The black Vue seems very discreet and I like that but I'm not sure it's worth the premium over one of the basic ones from next base. It is after all just an insurance against the stupidity of others. It's not for starting a YouTube career!

More
30 Jan 2022 18:55 #241603 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Re:Dash cam?
I have a Nextbase in both cars for about 5 years. it just sits behind the rear view mirror and I fitted the cable in to the window rubber. I would have to say it is very good. You don’t have to have the speed on the display but then generally in a Jimny you don’t often speed, so I left it on.

The Nextbase app will read speed and position from the card and show you on a map together with the video if you ever need it.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
30 Jan 2022 22:01 - 30 Jan 2022 22:04 #241609 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Re:Dash cam?
Get one with an app that lets you view or download the footage with ease. That's the take away from my years with cameras. They don't make the best one I have owned, not had much joy with Nextbase. Hope they have improved, I've got 3 in a draw all with Radom faults if you want one.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 30 Jan 2022 22:04 by Scimike.

More
31 Jan 2022 01:53 #241612 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Re:Dash cam?
Just a small expansion to Scimike's comment. As he mentioned, it's important to have a cam that allows you to connect and download through an app. I would also recommend that the cam be capable of streaming the video. I have a high quality cam but it only allows you to download in one minute increments. From my own experience that is really inefficient when you are trying to convince another person that they were at fault.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

• Lambert
    Registered
More
31 Jan 2022 06:35 #241613 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Dash cam?
I'm taking on board what you are all saying but as I Yorkshire man who is tight enough to squeak when I walk I have been looking at the offers on amazon. 49.99 for 1080p front and vga rear with a Sony sensor is attractive, yes it's not streaming but equally in the event of needing it it's not too difficult to retrieve from a card. It also occurred that half the time just being able to warn the idiots they are on camera is enough to make them think twice. Or am I missing the point and the more expensive ones are actually better vfm?

More
31 Jan 2022 08:16 - 31 Jan 2022 09:46 #241619 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Re:Dash cam?
I haven’t purchased a dash cam for some time so a little out of the loop aka cost, but I would recommend you dig deeper if needed for the “app feature”.
The reason is that removing the SD card to view the files or adjust settings is something you just will not do in practice. It’s will sit on your dash day in, day out, and you have no way of knowing if its still working. It could have stopped recording, the lens is dirty etc, how do you know? With an app its very easy to connect, view or download files whilst you are waiting for a coffee in McDonalds. You see what the camera is doing with a few clicks. Most of my N**tbase cameras I owned stopped working and I had no idea they had, simply as I needed to remove the SD card etc to see what it was recording.

All the other features, GPS, speed etc are less important in my opinion.

This physical design is also the easiest to mount, mine fits nicely behind the rear view mirror.

Not recommending a make, simply the key features that do it for me.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Jan 2022 09:46 by Scimike. Reason: auto correct and fat fingers = big mess

More
31 Jan 2022 14:05 #241627 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Re:Dash cam?

I'm taking on board what you are all saying but as I Yorkshire man who is tight enough to squeak when I walk I have been looking at the offers on amazon. 49.99 for 1080p front and vga rear with a Sony sensor is attractive, yes it's not streaming but equally in the event of needing it it's not too difficult to retrieve from a card. It also occurred that half the time just being able to warn the idiots they are on camera is enough to make them think twice. Or am I missing the point and the more expensive ones are actually better vfm?

The idiots don't see the camera, lets face it half of them don't even see the vehicle.  Both of my Nextbase have worked well and the missus has one in her car, plus my pal has one, all have worked consistently well.  I regard it as a fit and forget, but it has to work correctly otherwise the one time you rely on it, it won't have captured the event.

My Nextbase has WiFi, but the phone app is a little slow in showing the video, so I pull the card and put it in a PC when I want the video.  The amazon one sounds good and at that price, it's cheap enough.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, lookonimages

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds