BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Vibration at 40 to 45mph

• Michaelc
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Dec 2021 12:10 #240735 by Michaelc
Vibration at 40 to 45mph was created by Michaelc
Hi chaps. My jimny as a vibration between 40 and 45mph. It’s not to bad but I don’t like it. Now I know this can be down to a number of things. I am counting out brakes as it happens when not breaking. The car has not done many miles from its last mot which it passed with no notes made, so I am counting out kingpins. Sort of leaves the tires or is there something else I have overlooked. Michael 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Dec 2021 12:48 - 22 Dec 2021 16:26 #240736 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Vibration at 40 to 45mph
It could be tyre balance, the usual range for kingpin "death wobble" is 45 - 55mph, you are just under this so worth getting the balance checked. But assuming its not the tyres read on;

I would check each front wheel assembly yourself, irrespective if it passed the MOT or not. 
Get the wheels off the floor and feel for any play. If you can feel some do it again with the brake pedal pressed, play still present the Kingpins are likely, play gone then its wheel bearings.
Check your steering ball joints etc.

Mine passed every MOT it had, but the kingpin bearings were shot when I took them apart to re-grease, so its likely yours are also. More so if your swivel chalices (Tm Lambert), balls to me and you, are rusty and rough.   

IF everything looks good (assuming tyres are balanced), then its likely that the pre-load presented by a the kingpins / ball joints when new has diminished, its simply wear and tare on the components. You could try adjustment washers under the kingpins to add it back, as sold in the Big Jimny Shop ^^^^^.
OR you could fit a steering damper.
Its  a love hate split on here over dampers, they can mask a developing fault and should not be needed on a car with new components.
That said Suzuki issued a "fix it bush kit" for the G3 and then fitted a damper as standard on the G4!

I have a damper and love it, but it will not fix damaged steering components.

Good luck

Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 22 Dec 2021 16:26 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Michaelc
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Dec 2021 16:21 #240737 by Michaelc
Replied by Michaelc on topic Vibration at 40 to 45mph
Thanks, some very good information. I think I will go for the steering damper option to start with. It’s just too cold and dark to start taking too much apart.

More
22 Dec 2021 16:38 - 22 Dec 2021 16:39 #240738 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Vibration at 40 to 45mph
Ok that's cool.
But I do suggest whilst your are under it fitting the damper you have a good look / feel of all steering parts, even the arm bushes. There is no guarantee a damper will mask issues, but it does make the steering less "wobble happy".
I run a standard vehicle and the cheapest "land Rover" based damper kit available works for me. Not worth spending extra for premium dampers kits unless you like the look or have large tyres etc.

Good luck
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 22 Dec 2021 16:39 by Scimike.

• Michaelc
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Dec 2021 17:04 #240739 by Michaelc
Yes I will also give it a good look around. But kingpins unless they are very bad can be a sod to fault spot. I no longer have a ton of car tools, given them away over the years due to being unable to work on modern cars I have owned. So if a kingpin is bad it will need to be the local garage to sort out.

More
23 Dec 2021 13:29 #240752 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Vibration at 40 to 45mph
Kingpins are easy to check, just jack up a front wheel and try wobbling the wheel top to bottom, if there is play then the kingpins are shot. Try side to side movement as well.

One side of my Jimny had top to bottom play, the other didn't but the kingpins on both sides needed replacing.

If it isn't kingpins or tyres (balance) then it will most likely be a bush, I would look in the wiki on what to check for.

A steering damper won't solve the vibration, it will just mask it a bit through the steering wheel, but the problem will still be there.

I have made a few 210 mile round trips just recently, before I did my kingpins and fitted a damper, my arms were tired out after 5 hours driving. Now with the kingpins done the steering wheel wobble has mostly gone and the damper makes the car less twitchy, especially when it is windy. The result I no longer feel tired out after 5 hours driving.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

• Michaelc
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Dec 2021 14:02 #240753 by Michaelc
The car needs to go in for its mot in March, I will have them check the kingpins over, I am just too old to crawl around cars now. By the time I forked out for the tools, the garage would of done the job for less. I do understand that the damper is just a mask but it all helps. I only purchased the jimny to cover short trips that are killing my diesel. But I do like things to be correct.

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds