BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Suzuki Jimny 2005 automatic powerless on highway

• GeorgiosP
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Nov 2021 22:51 #240148 by GeorgiosP
Hi I have a problem with my jimny 2005 automatic but can not find what the problem is. The car feels really nice in the engine and automatic transmission. But when you drive at higher speeds on a motorway for example and there is a slightly steeper road it loses speed and feels powerless. Is there anyone else with a  automatic Jimny who can share their opinions? Does not reach more than 100 km / h on the motorway and as soon as there is a little hill the speed is reduced to 70-80. The car is in very good condition otherwise with service done and I also changed the oil and filter in the gearbox. but it did'nt help. No codes. It have 96.000km. Please let me know your opinions guys its my first Jimny and i love it but i need to fix this problem. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Nov 2021 06:20 #240149 by Lambert
Welcome to the forum. I only upgraded to automatic about 6 months ago so am still learning but it definitely shouldn't be that slow on a motorway. Mine is quite capable of holding speed on fairly serious inclined sections though it will change down on the most dramatic hills much like I had to with the manual before it. As to why, it could be a few things, you said you have no codes, have you the facility to monitor live data from the gearbox with your diagnostic equipment? SZ viewer allows you to see real-time parameters like torque converter slip and shaft speeds etc which can help determine what is going on. The automatic usually seems to be quite robust if looked after.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
17 Nov 2021 13:23 #240152 by DrRobin
It's probably not the automatic gearbox unless the car has entered 'limp mode' if the Jimny has one?

Has it always been like this or has just started?

More likely it is air/fuel/ignition/exhaust which is causing the lack of performance.

Air - Check air filter & MAF sensor
Fuel - Correct fuel, check filter, O2 sensors
Ignition - Check plugs, coils (crack), timing
Exhaust - Is the exhaust or CAT blocked
Brakes binding?

As it won't rev it suggest air/fuel flow problems, I would start with the easy things, air filter, plugs and work you way round to the difficult things. The plug colour might tell you more about waht is going on.

As Lambert says does your code reader give you live values, that might help.

Unfortunately without any codes logged, it might be a case of working your way through the list. I am having a similar problem (not as severe as yours) with my other car (not a Jimny), it's just a case of checking everything, I have been through O2 sensors, coils and plugs, air filter, now it is looking like an over-reading MAF.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
17 Nov 2021 13:30 #240153 by fordem
Maybe we should start with which Jimny, and what engine does it have?

• GeorgiosP
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Nov 2021 14:04 - 17 Nov 2021 14:06 #240155 by GeorgiosP
Replied by GeorgiosP on topic Suzuki Jimny 2005 automatic powerless on highway
Thank you and thanks for your information. I dont have the diagnostic to see live data from the transmission. I maybe should go to suzuki and let them search for the problem. It goes up to 4000rpm and no more then its stop with power and when its shifts to the last gear it looses more power in the 90km/h. The gearbox shifts smooth and nice. The airfilter is new, the exhaust and cat is new, spark plugs is new. The only thing i dont know about is the fuel filter. Its a Jimny 2005 vvt automatic i think its the M13A with 16v DOCH enginge. 
Last edit: 17 Nov 2021 14:06 by GeorgiosP.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
17 Nov 2021 15:22 #240157 by Lambert
It only revs to 4000? It should rev to 6000 cleanly and it will change gear up there too if you leave your foot on the floor. First easiest thing to do is check that there isn't excessive slack in your throttle cable as this will affect the cars ability to rev and also the change point of the gearbox. It's easy enough to adjust but don't over do it or it will affect the idle. A Bluetooth obd2 tool will be around 15 pounds on amazon, I have a veepeak vp11 and I now use SZ viewer free off play store as recommended by this forum, it allows me live reading on all available systems and is very useful.

• GeorgiosP
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Nov 2021 15:37 #240159 by GeorgiosP
Thanks for the information. Yes its revs to 4000rpm and then its just stop and powerless. There isnt any slack in the throttle, i have controlled it and its okey. I will order one obd2 tool and download the program. I have also checked the map sensor and its no problem with that. I own the car for 2 months now and this is the only problem with it. The car is in very nice condition if we ignores this problem. It does the same if you drive on a smaller way and its a big uphill on 70km/h it loses power and goes down to 50km/h.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
17 Nov 2021 17:50 #240161 by Lambert
Once you have the tool it will show you throttle position information as a percentage so you will be able to determine if you are getting full throttle which to me it sounds like you are not. It's certainly making me think that Dr Robin could be onto something with it being motor related not gearbox.

• GeorgiosP
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Nov 2021 21:38 #240162 by GeorgiosP
Hi they have checked the throttle and we replaced it but the problem is still going on :) i had it checked by two mechanics and they say they belive its the gearbox. I have now booked a time to checkup by suzuki. I hope that it isnt the gearbox beacause its very expensive here in sweden.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
18 Nov 2021 06:22 #240166 by Lambert
Replacing the throttle without knowing the existing one is actually at fault or simply the cable being out of adjustment suggests that the mechanic is clutching at straws and doesn't really know what is happening, just throwing new parts at the problem and hoping one of them fixes it is an expensive option. Just out of curiosity the car is on standard wheels and tyres and isn't fitted out with heavy equipment like bull bars and winches and overland camping equipment etc is it?

More
18 Nov 2021 07:59 #240168 by RainerK
If it would be the gearbox it should get pretty hot after a short drive if it „eats“ all the power. I would think that you even can smell this.

More
18 Nov 2021 19:21 #240188 by Scimike
So are you saying it will only rev to 4000 rpm with the vehicle stationary and in N?
If so its likely Dr Robin has mentioned the possible cause, me thinking blocked 1st or second CAT.
Do you know anyway to get a drive in another auto so you can compare?
The Jimnys can feel a little powerless if you come straight from a "normal" car, so just trying to eliminate the possibility that it's normal on your hills etc. It does sound faulty though.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds