BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

CB Radio

More
29 Oct 2021 11:17 #239720 by mlines
CB Radio was created by mlines
Often comes up as a "modification" for off-roaded JImnys.

I had this offer land in my email this week (I AM NOT ASSOCIATED WITH THIS COMPANY)

Looks a good deal

moonrakeronline.com/intek-m-899-vox-mult...ver?___store=default

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2021 15:01 #239725 by gv42
Replied by gv42 on topic CB Radio
WE use the tti TCB=560 its very small been in use over 3 years .

More
02 Nov 2021 17:28 #239814 by gv42
AND Happy 40th CB day 10-4

More
06 Nov 2021 16:08 #239902 by Mike G
Replied by Mike G on topic CB Radio
That does seem good price.  I have a full DIN sized CB in my Jimny, slotted in above an aftermarket stereo for tidiness.  But I do like the Albrecht one, it's not far off the size of a cigarette packet, can be tucked away easily.  

moonrakeronline.com/albrecht-ae-6110-min...dio?___store=default

2" Trailmaster suspension lift, 2"body lift, snorkel, full breather kit, 29" steel wheels with BFG tyres, tinted rear windows, CRT CB radio with modulator antenna mounted on rear, dog cage and tray in the back.

More
06 Nov 2021 19:10 #239905 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic CB Radio
ls CB still a thing? l had a rig back in the 1980's but l thought it was dead now.

My erm, handle was Zero-X

More
06 Nov 2021 19:52 #239907 by gv42
Yes CB is a thing, and very busy on 19 , and 25 and 34 , I do a lot of QSK ON 25 all over the UK

More
06 Nov 2021 20:21 #239909 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic CB Radio
Currently in the process of hooking up a CB to my Jimny. Can't get the SWR down below 3 at the moment. Seem to have a decent ground (tested with separate ground strap), cabling all ok and tried two different antenna. Think it might be a dodgy mount, so waiting on a new one to arrive.

More
07 Nov 2021 17:12 #239930 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic CB Radio
Did you trim the aerials at all?

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
18 Nov 2021 12:30 #240175 by Gadget
Thanks for the reply Martin, yes I'd tried everything to no avail. Have now fixed it and it seems to have been the location of the mount.

I had bought one of these backets from Jimnystyle, that sits on the rear door hinge.

I tried it with two different mounts attached, (Thunderpole Powerstick, Thunderpole Chrome) and using two different antenna (Thunderpole Mini Orbiter, Thunderpole 3ft powerstick) but no matter what height adjustment I made the SWR sat in the 'danger' zone on the meter. Both mounts had a good ground (checked continuity many times) and no shorts in the various cables.

I ran out of time to fix the problem before my recent trip to the Yorkshire dales, so had to rely on the tiny rubber duck aerial on my Midland 42DS, which gave me a range of about 100m!

Bought a magnetic mount when I got home, slapped it on the roof today and POW! perfect SWR on all channels straight away. Can only assume that having the antenna sat halfway down the back door meant that a lot of the signal got reflected back. Seems like the Jimnystyle bracket (and APIO bracket that they copied) are only good for looks, not function. Wish I'd known that before I spent a small fortune trying to fix it! 
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlines

More
18 Nov 2021 13:12 #240178 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic CB Radio
If the active part of the antenna is not in the clear above the back of the Jimny then the back door will detune the antenna and give you a poor SWR.

Another problem might be the ground plane, the antennas you have used might want to sit on a good ground plane (centre of the roof) or you might have a poor earth if it is through paint, both of these could detune the antenna and give you a poor SWR.

Antennas are balanced and have two elements, like a dipole, but if you don't have the other element (all whip antennas are like this) then using a good ground plane acts like a mirror and gives you the other element.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
18 Nov 2021 14:00 #240180 by Gadget
Thanks DrRobin, I know little about antennas. The earth on the bracket was good, I ground it back to bare metal and had continuity between that and a known-good ground point elsewhere.

I tried the second antenna as the first was listed as being 'baseloaded' and like you mention, I was worried that the location would prevent it working properly, but had the same issue with a 'topload' as well (although having subsequently read further, it doesn't sound like that means that all the signal comes out the pointy bit as I'd assumed!

I think it was the lack of a good ground plane that was the big issue. Plonked a 5" mag mount with the Mini Orbitor on the roof and the SWR needle barely moved, whereas before it was flinging itself to the right!

I should probably have gone mag mount to start with, as I'll only want to use it once in a blue moon and having the MIdland 42 with car kit means that the whole setup is easily removable.

More
18 Nov 2021 14:16 #240181 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic CB Radio
Base or top loaded refers to where the matching coil is located. The antenna has to be resonant length on the frequency you want to use and CB is near enough 10m, so a 1/4 wave antenna is 2.5m.

The loading coil (base ot top) makes up the difference in length between the antenna and 1/4 wave length, but the coil doesn't radiate, it is the rod or element that radiates.

If the radiating element is very close to a metal surface, the radio waves are reflected back in to the antenna and this gives you a high SWR.

It's a pity as it looks like a really nice mount, the only solution would be to fit a short pole on to the antenna to get the radiating part above the back of the vehicle. Or use an antenna with a long part at the base that doesn't radiate.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds