BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

More
02 Oct 2021 14:26 #239080 by GrahamJimny
Newbie was created by GrahamJimny
I just bought a 2000 Jimny JLX in the rain. so was a quick purchase, looked under chasis, pretended to look at engine, all looks and drives fine.

She's got a lift kit done on it and big dirt tyres, so suites my purposes.

I had an SJ413 when I was younger.

Newbie questions...

1: what are the flip over tabs on the wheels for 2WD to 4WD, I know it separates something but can't remember what.

2: what does the JLX mean?

3. Is it possible to change over the steering wheel as she's a bit worn.

thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Oct 2021 19:46 #239089 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Newbie
Welcome to the forum sounds like it's on manual hubs so you will need to twist them to engage drive to the front wheels, though it also means you can have 2wd with low ratio if you don't engage them, useful for controlled manoeuvres on high grip surfaces. JLX is the upper trim specification though what it actually includes on a 2000 Jimny I don't know. The steering wheel can be swapped like for like as far as I am aware but I don't know if they are fully common for the entire production of the gen3.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
03 Oct 2021 08:28 - 03 Oct 2021 08:28 #239100 by GrahamJimny
Replied by GrahamJimny on topic Newbie
Thanks Lambert, they look like they are the manual hubs yes - I believe they are an after market to switch out some kind of pneumatic system - am I right?

But what is that for?

At the moment they are turned to 2WD not 4WD - yet I can drive just fine and I can also switch over to 4WD, I tested it.

so I don't understand.

Graham
Last edit: 03 Oct 2021 08:28 by GrahamJimny.

More
03 Oct 2021 08:52 - 03 Oct 2021 12:34 #239101 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Newbie
Lambert is probably busy this time of the morning on the farm, so I will answer.

Your Jimny is normally 2WD, that means engine power turns the rear wheels only.
When you engage 4WD H a transfer box under the vehicle engages the front drive shaft and turns the front axle drive system. At the same time vacuum hubs on each front wheel engage, these connecting each front wheel to the front axle drive system. So you now have 4WD, that's on a standard Jimny. The same is true in 4WD L.
Your front hubs have been converted to manual operation, that means to connect the front wheels you need to get out of the vehicle to finish engaging 4WD,  turn your hub to 4WD and the front wheels are connected to the axle drive system.

It's a common fix for the failing vacuum system which is no longer used.

So the manual hubs connect (4WD) or disconnect (2WD) the actual front wheels to the front axle drive shafts.
So this is independent of the 4WDH/L selector inside the vehicle which diverts drive to the front axle drive shafts via the transfer box.

On paper you could leave the hubs permanently in the 4WD position, this just means the font axle turns all the time, driven by the wheels. The transfer box provides isolation when you are on tarmac in 2WD as it no longer diverts power to the front axle, so front and rear are effectively disconnected.. Note the Jimny should never be used for any distance in 4WD H or L on tarmac or a high grip surface.

Hope this makes sense, if not just ask.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 03 Oct 2021 12:34 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, GrahamJimny

More
03 Oct 2021 17:09 #239109 by GrahamJimny
Much appreciated Mike, starting to wrap my head around it,
yes so theres a couple of points to connect the 4Wd

1 the gear shift and 2 the wheel hubs.

So I probably wasn't in 4Wd so when I shifted to check.

Bottom line so, I prob best leave them in 2WD on hubs? as I do a mix of road driving and prob get away with just 2Wd at the moment as I drive across some mud to get to my residence - get out and switch to 4WD.. bit of a ball ache, getting in and out, but at least I understand now.

cheers
Im sure there'll be many more questions to come!

More
03 Oct 2021 17:33 #239110 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Newbie
Yes, it's unlikely you had full 4WD when you shifted to check. The front wheels still being disconnected from the front axle, so simply rotating without drive.
If you got across your mud like this then no reason to engage the hubs, leave them in 2WD. If you intend to tackle anything more tricky just put the hubs in 4WD before you proceed, you can then select 4WDH/L/2WD from inside the vehicle as required. When you have finished put the hubs back into 2WD.
OH and welcome to the forum.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
07 Oct 2021 10:21 - 07 Oct 2021 10:24 #239198 by GrahamJimny
Hi guys, I got a stock bumper to replace the existing one on my Jimny.

The plate for the winch added on looks a bit rough, and thought would be better to remove.

Just want to make sure Im not doing anything drastic.

Would you keep and cut out the bumper or remove altogether?

Pics attached..

Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Oct 2021 10:24 by GrahamJimny.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Oct 2021 13:24 #239206 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Newbie
Personally I would remove it unless you are building a dedicated off road warrior type Jimny, simply because its additional weight that you may never benefit from carrying all the time.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
07 Oct 2021 13:40 - 07 Oct 2021 13:50 #239208 by GrahamJimny
Ya I think so too.But without the bar though the bumper won't have anything to bolt into over wheels?Also, the bolts keeping winch plate on seem to be hidden, I think he welded the bar on after the plate. Nightmare. 
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Oct 2021 13:50 by GrahamJimny.

More
13 Oct 2021 12:04 - 13 Oct 2021 12:07 #239364 by GrahamJimny
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration    Thought best to continue my questions here..

I added in an after market bumper and she looks cleaner. It scraped a little on base so I shaved off a bit underneath.

the bumper sticks out about an inch either side.
so it looks like previously the side arches have been cut down. So wondering what’s best to do?

Should I buy the original panels again, or there are widening fenders on EBay for £209..

Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Oct 2021 12:07 by GrahamJimny.

More
15 Oct 2021 15:09 #239431 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Newbie
I would be careful buying from EU with all the added charges at the moment 
Member keithy sells a kit with wide arches 
where are you based ?
Just replacing with standard would be the cheapest option 

The problem is the tyres you have fitted........the tread lugs are so wide they catch.......been there done that lol

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds