BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Speaker upgrade

• Jimnynz4x4
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Aug 2021 03:56 #237773 by Jimnynz4x4
Speaker upgrade was created by Jimnynz4x4
Hi,
New member here. I have been going through internet for a better alternative to Pioneer replacements. Has any one used any other brand with deep bass? Also, wishing to add two under seat subs, anyone done that before?

Thank you. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Aug 2021 04:08 #237774 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Speaker upgrade
Welcome to the forum. I have one pioneer sub under my drivers seat and 4 100mm pioneer in the factory locations in my gen3 powered by a 4x100 Sony bluetooth single din and it bumps very hard for what it is. Otherwise I would probably be looking at a full amplifier system and my problem with that is space and weight as I use my Jimny as a van so cargo has to be priority.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Old Neil

More
22 Aug 2021 14:27 - 22 Aug 2021 14:27 #237788 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Speaker upgrade
I've added a Pioneer active subwoofer under the driver's seat in my Gen4, if the rear seats are used as seats, it's probably not a good idea to fit a second one under the passenger seat - it's hard enough to get in/out of the back without having to watch where you put your foot.

At this point the subwoofer has been the only change made, I do have an older pair of Kenwood separates(KFC-P403) that are going to be fitted to the front doors when I can make the time to do it.

Ordinarily I would not be fitting this type of speaker to a vehicle like this, but as I have them on the shelf I'll use them rather than buy something new - the problem with the Jimny and any sort of high-end audio is the high levels of noise present in the vehicle - I find mine to have a fairly high level of "gear whine", and I will get around to adding more "sound insulation" but I just feel that you need to recognize that the vehicle, whilst very good at what it was designed to do, is a poor choice of platform for "high fidelity" audio.
Last edit: 22 Aug 2021 14:27 by fordem.

More
22 Aug 2021 18:15 #237789 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Speaker upgrade
There's no point trying to get "deep bass" out of a 10cm full range speaker if you are also fitting a subwoofer. Component speakers and a sub are your best option for good sound reproduction. Brand is fairly irrelevant, any mainstream brand will be over specced for the hole you are fitting it in. Mounting tweeters anywhere other than the footwell is worthwhile. As Lambert says, drive the speakers from a dedicated amplifier for best results. I have a Kenwood underseat subwoofer and it does a reasonable job but is no match for a proper system with separate amplifiers.

More
22 Aug 2021 18:47 #237790 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Speaker upgrade
I added two speakers in the rear and that made a big difference. Problem is the Jimny is quite noisy at anything over 40mph and I can’t help feeling that installing an expensive stereo and speakers is going to be a bit of a waste of time.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
22 Aug 2021 19:36 #237791 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Speaker upgrade
Fitting rear speakers made a big difference to our Gen 4.
l've not done anything else to it.

l am interested in the comments about gear whine and "noisy over 40mph" as our 2020 manual transmission SZ5 is fine up to around 65mph when engine noise begins to make itself heard.

Can't say l've noticed much gear whine.

More
23 Aug 2021 11:05 #237810 by Busta
No issues with noise in my Gen 3. Even at well above legal speeds on mud terrains I'd still not consider it a noisy car. Obviously it's not as refined as a luxury vehicle but it's noticeably less noisy than other similarly sized petrol cars I've owned.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
23 Aug 2021 12:12 #237811 by Lambert
Leviathan my 155 land cruiser is noticeably louder than Temeraire. That said she being an automatic jimny is particularly quiet even compared with my old Dreadnaught.

• JAV Man
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Aug 2021 13:42 #237814 by JAV Man
Replied by JAV Man on topic Speaker upgrade
I have upgraded my JB74 door speakers with pair of Kicker 46CSC44 4" door speakers.  (I usually upgrade with Focal's and went for the Kickers based on very +ve reviews)  I used a Dremel to cut new speaker brackets from the OE fitted units. I am now considering if a sub is necessary as they sound fantastic.
NB. I have also upgraded the head unit, the Kicker's need a minimum 50 watts rms to drive them correctly.

More
23 Aug 2021 20:48 #237823 by Busta
I've never heard of a speaker having a minimum power requirement. Does that mean you can't listen to them on a quiet setting?

• Lambert
    Registered
More
24 Aug 2021 02:11 #237830 by Lambert
It's to do with the strength of the voice coil, essentially the power needed to move the cone. All speakers should specify an optimum range it which they will work cleanly without distortion.

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds