BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Exhaust hangers

• mickt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Aug 2021 11:47 - 07 Aug 2021 11:49 #237363 by mickt
Exhaust hangers was created by mickt
On both the Jimny and now our new to us 2008 Vitara I have found the exhaust hangers corroded to the point of no longer connected to the exhaust pipes. Now the exhaust pipes themselves are sound on both vehicles but the spigots are corroding at the weld connections. Why is that I wonder? In the Jimnys case I had the exhaust system removed so repairing that was quite easy. But in the Vitaras case we need it working so it is a tad more awkward to repair. Anybody else come across this?   
Last edit: 07 Aug 2021 11:49 by mickt.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Aug 2021 14:15 #237367 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Exhaust hangers
Not recently but I had similar issues with my defender. For the cost of some new hardware it was simpler to remove the exhaust and work on it comfortably.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
07 Aug 2021 14:47 - 07 Aug 2021 14:48 #237368 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Exhaust hangers
Yes a bit with our Jimny. The first hanger on the first section after the CAT had completely corroded away. I made a bolt on repair section using an exhaust U clamp as the mount rather than welding on my back. This was later followed by wasting and cracking of the rear silencer mount, causing the exhaust to hit the body on rough roads.
Fixed all this by having a custom made stainless steel CAT back system a few weeks ago, should see my Jimny out!

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 07 Aug 2021 14:48 by Scimike. Reason: I am sure this editor just adds random words, or Auto correct is taking over

More
07 Aug 2021 21:59 #237378 by HUN
Replied by HUN on topic Exhaust hangers
Exhausts are never painted because they get very hot during normal operation. Bare steel will rust over time as we all know. But welds are always corrode faster than the base steel.
Here is why (Google):
'The weld metal compositions are usually optimized to enhance their mechanical properties; this makes them more anodic than the base steel, causing them to corrode at higher rates compared to their base metal'

Before fitting new exhaust system I always spay them with heat resistant paint (up to 650C) so they last longer than untreated ones.  

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Full floating rear axle conversion, JB underbody guards & recovery points
ORE transfer box HD brackets
T-Max split charge system
X-Shock Dakar ceramic clutch kit & roof rack
Flo-Flex castor polybushes
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers

• mickt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Aug 2021 19:29 #237474 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Exhaust hangers
You can paint them and there is a brand designed for them. Heat resistant to 560 C. I have and have had all makes of cars and these are the only ones I have had this problem with!

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds