BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jeep Wrangler

More
03 Aug 2021 10:32 #237279 by lightning
Jeep Wrangler was created by lightning
l hope l haven't asked this before on here, but has anyone owned a late model (post 2008) Jeep Wrangler, specifically the LWB version?

l was looking to replace the Defender with a 4-door Wrangler but would like to get some feedback from someone who has actually owned one.

lt looks like the model had an update in around 2011 and again in 2018.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Aug 2021 11:56 #237280 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Jeep Wrangler
I had one for a weekend test drive. It wasn't quite as baggy to drive as my Cherokee sport but it was no Jimny. We went for the land cruiser as it manages to be both soft and controlled to drive, comfy not wayward.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
03 Aug 2021 13:07 #237281 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Jeep Wrangler
Not owned one. But have been in a few.

The JK was a clean sheet design back in the day, think they came to the UK in 2007. A year or so after release in the USA.

The best way to think of them is a cross between a 110 Defender and a Discovery 3. Very much a proper 4x4 but with some modern tech/features and better performance than a Defender.

Really the only thing they lack is a proper tow rating. Not that they aren't physically capable, they just aren't rated for much towing. I think this is due to in the USA they want you to buy a pickup to tow with, not a Wrangler.

Most models are diesels over here. Facelift in 2011 brought a revised interior, more power and different gearboxes. Jeep also doubled the price of them in the UK at this time.

They have very strong residuals.

If you want something like your Defender in sense of occasion and feel, only better in every area (bar towing). They are bang on the money. If you want something as a significantly different type of vehicle in a more modern sense. They might not fit the bill.

The Wrangler also has cool features like a removable roof, removable doors and fold down windscreen.

Model specs are very weird in the UK though. Which is a shame. And Jeep dealers/Jeep UK seem to be completely rubbish.

But they are a vehicle I like very much.

More
03 Aug 2021 13:46 #237282 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Jeep Wrangler
Thank you for the replies!

I was looking for something like my Defender but more refined and less noisy.
l was hoping the Wrangler would be effectively a larger Jimny, particularly the post 2018 Wrangler which is supposed to have been "completely overhauled"
The Defender is currently on a roll price wise, so now would be a good time to sell.

More
04 Aug 2021 08:12 #237290 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Jeep Wrangler
Post 2018 is the JL model variant. Still looks like the JK but uses mostly new parts again. Have also driven these and like them too. And they probably improve on every aspect of the JK. But to be fair the JK is very good IMO.

More
04 Aug 2021 14:26 #237294 by Obarno
Replied by Obarno on topic Jeep Wrangler
I’ve had several Wranglers over the last 20 or so years and currently have a 2007 JK which is the swb model - the lwb is a JKU. Prior to that I had a 90 and I have to say the Wrangler is a much better car and certainly more modern. They all pretty well have air con, cruise, mainly are autos and as they get newer from 2007 heated seats etc. The Rubicon is very well equipped having diff locks back and front, lower ratio transfer box and front sway bar disconnect. The newer model from 2018 JL and JLU is particularly well equipped with smaller but much more efficient Petrol and Diesel engines as well as 8 speed autos. Although visually similar to the earlier model, they are really quite a lot different and certainly nicer to drive but wilthout losing the Wrangler appeal.
I have had a lot of fun with mine taking it to Sardinia a couple of times and driving round the island on a lot of,tracks. I have also done quite a few local club events in France and always found it a pleasure to use.
I suppose which one you buy depends on your budget but if you can a post 2011 is better equipped than the earlier models.
Having said all of this I really enjoy my Jimny which I have had for,10 years and have done many French club events with it!

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

More
04 Aug 2021 14:40 #237295 by Obarno
A pic of my 2 toys!  

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15
Attachments:

More
04 Aug 2021 14:59 - 04 Aug 2021 15:01 #237296 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Jeep Wrangler
That's really useful thank you!

l was hoping to get a post 2018 but if not will look at the previous version.

There's a petrol engine available in the post 2018 version and with the current diesel situation l am drawn to that one if l can afford it.
Last edit: 04 Aug 2021 15:01 by lightning.

More
04 Aug 2021 16:17 #237297 by Obarno
The post 2018 Petrol is a very nice car and for it’s size not too thirsty. If you decide on a pre JL the JK and JKU Rubicons all had a 3.6 V6 Petrol engine. Very nice and smooth but not the most economical! I had an earlier 3.8 Petrol JK and that too was very smooth and quick. The 3.8 was available until 2011 and then they replaced it with the 3.6. 

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds