BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

GEN 4 Seat Belt fraying

More
24 Nov 2020 23:20 #230367 by Micheal
Replied by Micheal on topic GEN 4 Seat Belt fraying
Thanks but I think the nibbling is too extensive. I'll let you know what the garage says. I think it will not be pleasant!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2020 07:48 #230379 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic GEN 4 Seat Belt fraying
I don't think a main dealer will do such a repair, they will replace the effect loom, I'm sure.

More
27 Nov 2020 12:15 #230433 by Micheal
Soeley, you were right. Quote is £6,000 and that's before taking the dash off! Some of the parts Suzuki GB don't have part numbers for. This will take some weeks I reckon (assuming insurance approve repair). Insurance co have sent info to their 'engineering department' whatever that is - who are contemplating matters. They have not OK'd the repairs as yet.

More
27 Nov 2020 12:29 #230434 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic GEN 4 Seat Belt fraying
Wow thats a lot, but it doesn't surprise me, there is a lot of work replacing a main wiring loom. If the insurance won't pay then I would be going to an independent to get the wiring loom fixed and a new seat belt fitted.

How bad is the damage on the wiring loom? Is it just the outer cover or are there wires exposed? A roll of self amalgamating tape or even wiring loom tape is only a few quid. I assume everything electrical currently works, so it might be a fairly easy repair for an auto electrician, would be worth getting someone to look at it, always assuming the insurance doesn't pay.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
27 Nov 2020 12:37 #230436 by Micheal
Dr Robin
I've seen people discussing on line figures like £10k to repair mouse damage to a Honda (don't know which model). Maybe Japanese cars are tasty!
The damage mostly is to the outer insulation but there are some places where copper wire is exposed.
If it was an old machine I guess it could be patched up and kept running (yes everything still appears to work electrically).
Could this be the first car to be written off by a mouse?!

I've ordered some German spray that they use to keep Martens from gnawing wiring over there. Come to think of it we have Pine Marten here but I think the culprit is the humble mouse.

More
27 Nov 2020 12:45 #230437 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic GEN 4 Seat Belt fraying
Hopefully the insurance will cough up. I tend to agree with you, it is a nearly new car, possibly still under warranty so you want it fixed correctly. However, you would be surprised how good a job an electrician could make. If it is mostly the outer covering, that is easy to do. The bare wires you could tape with self amalgamating tape or even cut a section out and replace, heat shrink tubing over the top.

Wiring looms are not that difficult to repair, getting to them is the problem. About 30 years ago I made a complete new wiring loom for my motorbike, it took a bit of effort getting then lengths right and of course I had to strip the bike, but then the frame was going for paiting, so it didn't matter. It is much easier to repair rather than replace.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
27 Nov 2020 13:19 - 27 Nov 2020 13:20 #230438 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic GEN 4 Seat Belt fraying
If the insurance don't approve the repair I would definitely to the Auto Electrician route and just get the exposed copper repaired and the rest just rewrapped.

It's a pity they don't put disconnects on the fire wall instead of the loom going all the way through.
Last edit: 27 Nov 2020 13:20 by Soeley.

More
28 Nov 2020 15:25 #230458 by RumbleAndSway
Sounds like Aviva who specifically state the £Non-approved repair excess.

Recommendations:
- Don’t insure with Aviva. Their pricing engine lacks sophistication and you’ll be better served elsewhere. Try Admiral, LV and Sabre.
- Admiral and LV are the only insurers who i can think of who gave a rebate to their customers for Lockdown 1.0
- Aviva seem to be pricing to exploit customer inertia. At renewal you could easily be paying 2x what you should with Aviva.
Oh, and BTW, F%$@ Aviva

More
28 Nov 2020 15:38 #230459 by RumbleAndSway
Ultimate rodent bait in my experience: Nutella. Mice, rats, squirrels love it.

Best traps are WCS Tube Traps
www.pestuk.com/shop/WCS-Tube-Trap-378.ht...o79Xq9kaAvcPEALw_wcB

Brings a gun to a fist fight but superb for rats and squirrels.

More
28 Nov 2020 15:48 #230460 by RumbleAndSway
Michael, my advice would be to insist your local/favoured Suzuki dealer undertake the wiring loom replacement. You will not only get the peace of mind of maintaining your warranty but they’ll also benefit from a proper bit of work. You have the opportunity to become their #1 Customer. Nice!

Approved repairers are all looking to optimise productivity against manufacturers and Thatcham recommended times. 160% to 200%. In forum speak that’s stuff quality; how quickly can i do this and how many corners can i cut.

F$%$@*£ mice. `DOn’t get me started on pigeons!

More
28 Nov 2020 20:38 #230476 by Micheal
Just replying to the last few comments, my plan is to get it properly done at the Suzuki dealership under insurance cover. The insurance company has accepted the Suzuki garage instead of their 'approved repairer'. I'm waiting for formal approval from the insurer of the Suzuki garage quote before they can order the parts. Apparently they will pronounce on this Monday or Tuesday.
If they refuse to cover this I will take them to court as there are no suitable exclusions that they could rely on that I can see in the policy documents. If that fails then I think the loom could be repaired at a fraction of the cost but there would I suppose always be the concern that something had been missed.
I'll let you all know how this pans out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
29 Nov 2020 15:38 #230499 by Micheal
RumbleAndSway , I had a look at the trap you posted a link to, we couldn't use that here: it's not authorised in Scotland as I understand it and it would take out the red squirrels which are protected species and maybe even pine martens (no greys around here).
Looks like it would be good on greys in areas where there are no reds. Also rats by the look of it.
Thanks

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds