BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

GEN 4 Seat Belt fraying

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Nov 2020 18:16 #230290 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic GEN 4 Seat Belt fraying
That sucks! Good luck with the insurance. At least you know what the problem is.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GeorgeC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Nov 2020 18:39 #230293 by GeorgeC
Replied by GeorgeC on topic GEN 4 Seat Belt fraying

Micheal wrote: Humble Pie!
It's a mouse problem. First time had a chance to take a good look under the bonnet and the critturs have stripped a fair bit of wiring insulation, inside they've also had a go at an area behind the passenger front seat.
Can't see any obvious hole they're getting inside from though.
I reckon a new wiring loom is going to be needed as well as other 'consumables', this is going to be an expensive repair so will need to look at insurance claim.
The wiring insulation does look very thin compared to stuff I'm used to like on a landrover. I saw that Toyota were sued in USA over this issue when they switched from petroleum based plastic insulation to soy. Rodents turned out to view the soy based insulation as a free snack. I wonder if Suzuki use the same material.
Question is how to stop this happening again.....

Check all the body drain plugs, one of mine got left out after a dealer/service visit.
Attachments:

More
22 Nov 2020 18:45 #230296 by Micheal
Replied by Micheal on topic GEN 4 Seat Belt fraying
Thanks, already contacted insurers who were a bit nonplussed but seemed to accept the claim. Problem is they insist on sending the car to one of their 'approved' repairers and said if I wanted to send it to the Suzuki dealer who supplied it, that would be an extra £200 excess thank you. It's not clear to me what this will do to the Jimny warranty.
I did check the drain holes George C, thanks, all are in place. I think they must be getting in through one or other of the holes from the engine bay into the dash area.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GeorgeC

More
22 Nov 2020 18:46 #230297 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic GEN 4 Seat Belt fraying
That’s amazing mice have done so much damage. I hope it’s covered on the insurance, a new wiring loom isn’t going to be cheap or labour to replace.

Mice have deformable bodies, basically if you can push a pencil through yes that is 5mm) a small mouse can squeeze through, but they usually only do this for food or shelter. Was the Jimny in a garage when it wasn’t been used?

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
22 Nov 2020 19:10 #230298 by Micheal
I'm afraid it's parked outside in the deep country next to the house and the wife uses it only 2-3 times a week so the critturs have time to get busy, essentially undisturbed..
I think you are right about the small spaces they can get through.
I do wonder if Suzuki are using soya based plastics though.... very green but enticing for mice!

More
22 Nov 2020 20:39 #230300 by Dan
Replied by Dan on topic GEN 4 Seat Belt fraying
You've prompted me to set fresh mouse traps.

If my jimny suffered a mouse attack, I would be horrified.

More
22 Nov 2020 20:50 - 22 Nov 2020 20:50 #230303 by Bill Portland

Micheal wrote: Thanks, already contacted insurers who were a bit nonplussed but seemed to accept the claim. Problem is they insist on sending the car to one of their 'approved' repairers and said if I wanted to send it to the Suzuki dealer who supplied it, that would be an extra £200 excess thank you. It's not clear to me what this will do to the Jimny warranty.

I believe that's illegal. They are obliged to allow you to "freely" use a repairer of your choice. See here:-
www.motorclaimguru.co.uk/consumer-rights-for-a-motor-claim

Also, have you tried Suzuki's own claim management system? They pushed it very hard through direct emails, I wonder if it's worth involving them?
Last edit: 22 Nov 2020 20:50 by Bill Portland.

More
23 Nov 2020 06:08 #230313 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic GEN 4 Seat Belt fraying

GeorgeC wrote:

Micheal wrote: Humble Pie!
It's a mouse problem. First time had a chance to take a good look under the bonnet and the critturs have stripped a fair bit of wiring insulation, inside they've also had a go at an area behind the passenger front seat.
Can't see any obvious hole they're getting inside from though.
I reckon a new wiring loom is going to be needed as well as other 'consumables', this is going to be an expensive repair so will need to look at insurance claim.
The wiring insulation does look very thin compared to stuff I'm used to like on a landrover. I saw that Toyota were sued in USA over this issue when they switched from petroleum based plastic insulation to soy. Rodents turned out to view the soy based insulation as a free snack. I wonder if Suzuki use the same material.
Question is how to stop this happening again.....

Check all the body drain plugs, one of mine got left out after a dealer/service visit.

Quite possibly they are getting in through the vent flaps. They are behind the back bumper.

More
24 Nov 2020 18:45 #230359 by Micheal
Car picked up to take to Suzuki Dealer today. We wait with bated breath for the £ estimate! Incidentally the recovery truck driver mentioned this was the fourth mouse damaged vehicle they had collected today!
He also said that the most common vehicle he has to collect broken down are high-level Range Rovers and that (mice excepted) he never has to collect Japanese or Korean cars. One top spec local Range Rover has had to be picked up by him eighteen times!
Back to mice, he said that he recommended IZAL disinfectant be sprayed on wiring and other susceptible areas (the guy used to be a mechanic apparently). I'm not sure what this is or if it is still available. But some solution needs to be found or the same mouse banquet will happen again.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Nov 2020 19:06 #230360 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic GEN 4 Seat Belt fraying
I would suggest a trip to the local ag supplier/country store for some rodent bait and some small bait boxes to secure liberally in the car.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
24 Nov 2020 20:25 #230363 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic GEN 4 Seat Belt fraying
Rodents, they do like electrical cable.
In my previous life I have repaired a few rodent damaged 415v feed cables, but at these voltages they only do it once.

I believe they also like peanut butter or Kit Kat as the preferred alternate to bait.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
24 Nov 2020 22:26 #230366 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic GEN 4 Seat Belt fraying
l am not sure you'll need a whole new wiring loom. lt's likely it can be repaired by soldering new pieces of wire in and using shrink wrap on the joins.

I used this method on a caravan electrical coupling that had fallen down and rubbed along the road, damaging some wires.

lt depends on how much damage there is, but l would rather repair it if possible than rip out the whole loom.

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds