BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

GEN 4 Seat Belt fraying

More
13 Nov 2020 19:17 - 13 Nov 2020 19:18 #229989 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic GEN 4 Seat Belt fraying
Can't believe it would be difficult to change the belt system once you have removed the rear trim panel. There are companies that can replace the belt if you can remove the complete system, for most classic car owners it's the only option and could be cheaper than new.
Just an option if Suzuki don't want to cover it under warranty.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 13 Nov 2020 19:18 by Scimike.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
13 Nov 2020 19:26 #229990 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic GEN 4 Seat Belt fraying
Yeah be interesting to know where it sits when in use? As to the cost of the repair how would it stack up against the cost of the consequences of an accident, because your insurance is likely to walk away if they know the defect was known about and ignored.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• GeorgeC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Nov 2020 21:26 - 13 Nov 2020 21:31 #229992 by GeorgeC
Replied by GeorgeC on topic GEN 4 Seat Belt fraying
After looking at the second set of photos, may I suggest removing the plastic cap that sits over the belt guide and mount. Check the bolt head tension and the underlying washer for correct location and smooth articulation of the belt guide when the belt is extended. The belt guide may be stuck and not be free to move when the belt is extended around the driver's shoulder.

If the articulation of the mount is restricted, then this may be the cause and should be warranty. Seat belt operation and retraction is checked on warranty services.
Last edit: 13 Nov 2020 21:31 by GeorgeC.

More
13 Nov 2020 22:21 #229993 by Roger Fairclough
I would suggest the damage is done by the mounting bracket as shown in the pics. When the car is being driven, small movements by the driver are usual and this would account for the length of the frayed section. This mounting is made of steel coated with a plastic and all it would take is a small sliver of steel or plastic to cut into the nylon when the car is driven. This should be classed as a flaw during manufacture and therefore the responsibility of Suzuki, even if it is outside the warranty period. From memory design fault in manufacture is covered for 7 years. I suggest that close up pics. are taken and a strong letter of complaint to the dealer would be in order. If the owner points out the danger to life and limb then I would imagine the prospect of a recall would probably stir Suzuki to sort out the problem sooner than later.

More
14 Nov 2020 18:40 #230039 by Micheal
Replied by Micheal on topic GEN 4 Seat Belt fraying
Thanks Roger and all other commentators. To answer one question, the frayed bit on the belt is situated just below the shoulder when the seat belt is fastened. I can only imagine there was some manufacturing flaw with this belt and it had a small tear which became worse being pulled through the mounting bracket. I haven't taken the plastic cap off yet, will wait until Suzuki respond to the dealer sending them pics.
Does anyone else find it mildly alarming hat Suzuki don't have these parts in the country?

More
14 Nov 2020 20:22 #230043 by Roger Fairclough
One aspect is that under normal conditions a seat belt shouldn't wear out. The other aspect is that if a Jimny is involved in an accident then the seat belt should be inspected and replaced if there is any doubt as to it's integrity.

Roger

• GeorgeC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2020 20:35 #230044 by GeorgeC
Replied by GeorgeC on topic GEN 4 Seat Belt fraying

Micheal wrote: Thanks Roger and all other commentators. To answer one question, the frayed bit on the belt is situated just below the shoulder when the seat belt is fastened. I can only imagine there was some manufacturing flaw with this belt and it had a small tear which became worse being pulled through the mounting bracket. I haven't taken the plastic cap off yet, will wait until Suzuki respond to the dealer sending them pics.
Does anyone else find it mildly alarming hat Suzuki don't have these parts in the country?

Thanks for the location confirmation. That suggests a couple of options.
One, when the seat belt is retracting it gets fouled in the retractor mechanism behind the panel.
The other, you may have had a resident rodent living behind panel, check that the drain plug for that area is intact, its just behind the right hand rear wheel, I'll attach a photo below.
Attachments:

More
15 Nov 2020 16:08 #230058 by Micheal
Thanks I'll have a look but given that the frayed area is in the location of the bracket at about head height when unfastened I think it would take a fairly determined mouse to have a go at that and that said mouse would have lots of easier targets in the car interior.
I'll update you all when I've heard what Suzuki have to say.

More
20 Nov 2020 10:20 #230224 by Micheal
Update: Suzuki's response is: Unfortunately the part is not covered under the terms of the warranty

No explanation provided. Basically a 'get this off my desk' special.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Nov 2020 11:13 - 20 Nov 2020 11:14 #230225 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic GEN 4 Seat Belt fraying
Get it fixed at the dealership then if it fails again you can claim faulty labour/install.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 20 Nov 2020 11:14 by Lambert.

More
20 Nov 2020 12:04 #230226 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic GEN 4 Seat Belt fraying
How can it not be covered on a brand new vehicle?

More
20 Nov 2020 12:55 #230227 by Roger Fairclough
I have had a look at the seat belt on my Gen.4 and my previous comment re: sharp metal or plastic edge is invalid as the plastic completely covers the steel frame of the buckle.
This leaves faulty manufacture, which is extremely unlikely, or a fault during use. If there is a sharp object within the area that the belt is pulled through I would expect the belt to show damage along the section in question ie. it would not just occur in one place. This, to me, would suggest that the driver is wearing something that is catching on the belt when the car is driven. We know that the frayed area is in the vicinity of the drivers shoulder so I suggest the investigation checks this area. A metal object, a stud or zip or even a button could be the culprit. If you just buy a new one and the same thing happens again, then the dealer will just say it must be the way it is driven because there is no proof that it is belt failure.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds