BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Any SZ4/5 owners fitted one of these? FORGE MOTORSPORT EXHAUST FOR SUZUKI JIMNY

More
11 Nov 2020 11:31 #229925 by 300bhpton
Emissions testing for type approval (manufacturer level) are not the same as emissions testing for a UK MoT.

Technically there is a visual check for emissions devices for the MoT these days. So if something is missing or modified (which by having a single CAT would likely fall into this). Would mean a fail.

However, I suspect most MoT testers would be happy, so long as it passes the emissions test.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 Nov 2020 12:48 #229926 by Lambert
So if you were being dishonest you need only put a plastic cover on that impaired viewing the location of the cat and you're golden if the emissions are clean enough?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
11 Nov 2020 14:21 #229937 by sniper
Sailed through emissions, was tested two weeks after installation and gave no issues at all. I did pass on the Information from Tony Banks, that it needed to be properly warm when tested. They said that they just did the test and it was fine.

I think the main issue with aftermarket exhausts is avoiding cheap components, Tony Banks only uses quality stuff, he said that the cats cost him over £130. You can find them from £65 on eBay..... Thats why he has such a good name I suppose.

He mentioned that a cat back system for a gen3 would be £300, I would presume that a gen4 would be a similar cost.

sniper
The following user(s) said Thank You: skywalker65, Scimike

More
11 Nov 2020 14:46 - 11 Nov 2020 14:48 #229938 by Scimike
Thanks Sniper, that's confirmation of my suspicion that the Jimny can pass Uk emission test with only the rear CAT in place.
Yes it's technically a fail as you are missing an emission component, but the MOT tester would need an in-depth knowledge of the Jimny to spot this. Not all vehicles have two CATs and the Jimny front CAT is very well hidden under the heat shield when fitted.
Not planning removal, just happy to file the information away :laugh: :whistle:

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 11 Nov 2020 14:48 by Scimike.

More
11 Nov 2020 15:10 #229939 by sniper
I have just been to the garage that tested the car as they are doing more work on it next week, I asked the tester about modified or missing parts and he said that would cover de-cat pipes more than anything.... A fully operational system that works with the cars ECU requirements (lambda circuits) and meets emissions would be hard to fail.....

sniper

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds