BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

More Power for gen4 Jimny

• ollieICE
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Nov 2020 14:18 #229779 by ollieICE
More Power for gen4 Jimny was created by ollieICE
Hi Guys, I hope this finds you well in these strange times,

I am considering options for getting some more power for my Gen4 Jimny. I have seen a supercharger kit from Rotrex that is supposedly applicable for the Gen4. Does anyone have experience with that kit and is able to swap war stories, problems, fuel consuption etc.? The Rotrex kit seems extremely expensive (8000 AUD) and I wouldn´t like to buy that on a whim and a prayer without having had any feedback....

Are there any other options that you know of, Turbo kits for example?

BTW I would like to thank the forum for a great piece of advice I got for a long range fuel tank for the Gen4, that turned out to be exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks,
Ollie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2020 18:46 #229786 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic More Power for gen4 Jimny
An engine swap will be a cheaper option. Unfortunately the K15b is already the biggest variant of the Suzuki K-series engines so it's not as straight forward as with the gen 3. But if you're happy to go with a standalone ECU then prectically any 4cy engine can be made to fit. A Swift Sport engine would go in easily with some gen 3 parts. It gives over 130hp in standard tune with a good supply of upgrades available for an easy 150+hp.

• warrengti
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Nov 2020 22:00 #229795 by warrengti
Replied by warrengti on topic More Power for gen4 Jimny
The Turbo Kit from AVO is a littile cheaper than 8 should give similar perfromance.

More
08 Nov 2020 00:18 #229797 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic More Power for gen4 Jimny
lt would be good fun with a turbo on it !

l wonder how much power the drivetrain is rated to. Also you might get a bit of wheel spin as it's only RWD for road use.

• ollieICE
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Nov 2020 11:08 #229818 by ollieICE
Replied by ollieICE on topic More Power for gen4 Jimny
Thanks, I briefly considered this, but I sort of decided that swapping out a brand new engine would perhaps not be a logical first step for me....
I dont really need much extra power. I don´t carry a roof rack/tent, no rear passengers, no all steel front bumper, no winch, however I do carry an enlarged fuel tank (80L), built in compressor and the car has been raised to carry 31" tires. I have in all other respects made a point of travelling light.
The purpose of having extra HP would primarily be to make the car a bit more snazzy in town and on the highway. I have never noticed a lack of power when travelling on gravel roads and tracks and especially not when in low drive. However, I still need to see how well the car does in deep snow - the extra HP might come in handy then.

• ollieICE
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Nov 2020 11:09 #229819 by ollieICE
Thanks, I had a look at it and it truly looks good. It is also half the price of a Rotrex!
I might go for this one if I find positive reviews!
Thanks again!!

• ollieICE
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Nov 2020 11:13 #229820 by ollieICE
Precisely, I wonder about that too. The Rotrex supercharger increases the HP to 170. That is waaaay more than I need, as I have tried to keep things light on purpose.
Guess, I need a review from a braver soul than me on how the car performs with a supercharger or turbo before taking this forward.

More
08 Nov 2020 12:07 #229823 by Roger Fairclough
170 bhp under the bonnet of a jimny! Not something I would want to behold. I wish you well but I would err on the cautious side as the Jimny was never designed to have anything like that sort of power and you would likely run out of brakes and then road.
On another note, where did you get your long range tank from?

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Nov 2020 13:13 #229825 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic More Power for gen4 Jimny

ollieICE wrote: Thanks, I briefly considered this, but I sort of decided that swapping out a brand new engine would perhaps not be a logical first step for me....
I dont really need much extra power. I don´t carry a roof rack/tent, no rear passengers, no all steel front bumper, no winch, however I do carry an enlarged fuel tank (80L), built in compressor and the car has been raised to carry 31" tires. I have in all other respects made a point of travelling light.
The purpose of having extra HP would primarily be to make the car a bit more snazzy in town and on the highway. I have never noticed a lack of power when travelling on gravel roads and tracks and especially not when in low drive. However, I still need to see how well the car does in deep snow - the extra HP might come in handy then.

You don't need more power. You need to correct your gearing to accommodate the fitting of 31 inch tyres. You not only need to factor the basic diameter increase but also all the additional rotating mass you have added. You will also need to consider increasing the strength of your axle casings and also the half shafts and cv's. You may also want to consider a heavier duty clutch too.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Busta

• ollieICE
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Nov 2020 09:06 #229850 by ollieICE
No I agree, 170 HP would turn the little critter into a dangerous monster. One would have to be very careful driving that, both to preserve the vehicle, but also to avoid getting hurt.

The long range tank comes from an Aussie company called The Long Ranger, they just released it and I am currently waiting for delivery. I found during the summer that the 40L tank was too small to be fully able to traverse the Icelandic highlands and I am not a fan of strapping jerrycans to the top, so this was a godsend.

• ollieICE
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Nov 2020 09:14 #229852 by ollieICE
@Lambert. You´re probably right. The only instances where I find that I could use more HP is when vavawooming around town and highway. My other car is a 420HP Volvo, and perhaps I am just letting the comparison get to me too much ;-)
Btw, the alteration of the car in not my design. The car was altered by an engineering company called Arctic Trucks in Iceland, which has a long standing reputation for altering trucks/SUVs for mountain and glacial use. They have been altering Jimnys for the past 2 decades or so without problems, so I guess they have judged the alteration to be sufficient. I briefly considered altering it for 33" (better flotation in snow for glacial use), but they advised against it, in part because of the issues you mention, but also because they didn´t see the need (the 31" apparently provides sufficient flotation in snow to allow for glacial use with the car being as light as it is - We will see about that this winter).

More
09 Nov 2020 09:30 #229854 by Roger Fairclough
Arctic Trucks are well known and well respected and I for one would love to see the spec sheet of what they did to your Jimny.
Any chance?

Roger

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds