BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Bridgestone Dueller AT/001

More
30 Oct 2020 18:11 - 30 Oct 2020 18:12 #229564 by Bea
Given winter is coming to the Alps now, I went and changed the stock HT Bridgestones 684ii to a more suitable tyre with snow performance. After a lot of agonising and pretty lousy customer service from all tyre manufacturers, I went for the Bridgestone AT/001, based on them being a good all-rounder where the majority of my km's are on tarmac (C rated in the wet vs E for most other AT that fit)- I am planning on keeping them in the summer also.

First impressions on dry roads and wet grass are good, they are noticeably more grippy than the stock HT's to the point I have to ask myself, why to Suzuki not use these instead (E rated fuel economy vs C rated I guess...), they also look better in my opinion? The snow siping looks pretty good.

I'll update with any further insights as the weather gets worse.
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Oct 2020 18:12 by Bea. Reason: Tidy up layout

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2020 19:17 #229565 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Bridgestone Dueller AT/001
Following :)
Do you know if they are M+S or "three peak snowflake" marked?

I am considering trying a three peak snow flake all round tyre now that my steel dubbed tyres for my Jimny has gone hard on me. More important to change tyres from age than thread depth with my use so i can rather buy a tyre I can sell as summer tyres second hand when they get old and hard.
I allways been using real nordic winter tyres with steel dubbs but I have a second car I can use if its ice. Or better yet walk to work.

Any other recommendations for three peak snowflake tyres?

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
30 Oct 2020 21:26 - 30 Oct 2020 21:39 #229569 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Bridgestone Dueller AT/001
"Any other recommendations for three peak snowflake tyres?"

I have just fitted Yokohama GEOLANDER A/T G015 , they are M+S and three peak snowflake rated.
I had summer road tyres fitted previously, so was concerned about noise, fuel consumption etc. I wanted a fit and forget tyre that will work well in all situations, rather than switch summer / winter tyres.
So how are they?
Fine on the road, as good as the summer tyres from a ride / noise and fuel point of view. They have made the steering feel lighter, but nothing detrimental to the driving experience. Fine in the rain, plenty of grip.
Can't comment on how they will do off-road or in snow at the moment, but on paper they should be better than the summer tyres. Only time (and a bit of snow) will tell.
So far I am happy with the performance.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 30 Oct 2020 21:39 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrRobin

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
31 Oct 2020 07:02 #229575 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Bridgestone Dueller AT/001
Quite like the look of these and being a premium tyre they have a perceived quality standard to meet. They do look a little more off road than my bfg urban whether that impacts wet tarmac brake performance would be an interesting comparison. Looking forward to the long term review.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
01 Nov 2020 10:18 - 01 Nov 2020 10:18 #229600 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Bridgestone Dueller AT/001
Beware there is two versions of the bridgestone tyre, one with LI 105 and one with 109. The price differ from 130 to 150 pounds here in Norway for my size.
LI105 is also too much for the jimny so the 109 is wasted money.
Some tyre fitters will try to push whatever is in stock to make a sale sometimes. I have bought cars with strange tyres and dimensions many times so check before you buy your tyres.

I was mostly interested in the winter and snow experiences people may have.
I have looked at more prices and I can get a full winter tyre for the same price so not sure what i will do as i have two sets of wheels.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 01 Nov 2020 10:18 by yakuza.

More
01 Nov 2020 13:39 #229601 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Bridgestone Dueller AT/001
That’s good to know Mike. I have Dueller H/T on the rear and A/T on the front, it’s what it came with. I am thinking Goelanders when it is time to change, but saw the higher noise and fuel consumption rating compared to Duellers, so good there is little difference on the road and I like the tread pattern of the Geolanders it just looks like it will more grip in the snow and soft stuff.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
07 Nov 2020 00:34 #229760 by GeezerDan
I've got two sets of wheels too and I've bought nexen winguard's to put on the steel rims for winter, 3 peaks rated winter tyres. I'll keep the stock dueler's on the alloys for summer. If I only had the one set of wheels I'd probably go for the Geolanders, or Nokian weatherproof but I don't think they make the stock size in those.

More
08 Nov 2020 17:11 #229829 by Bea
Replied by Bea on topic Bridgestone Dueller AT/001
Hello to you all. Conditions are still similar, so nothing to report on that. Re the questions:

I will also use them for all-year, including that I will visit ski-stations. I did a lot of research to arrive at these, wanting to keep the standard size.

They are 3pmsf rated, but you should know that this standard is overhyped, of quite a low benchmark and actually quite of no comfort, though the manufacturers would have you believe otherwise. That said, here we talk of a proper 4x4 which is lightweight, so I am not concerned. For a heavy van, it gets top end full winter tyres. Anecdotally, the similar US model tread pattern (no idea for compound) performed well in all-seasons testing on snow.

Load/speed rating is 96T, so fine for Jimny.

To the point about tread pattern, what you really need for snow is siping (the little tiny grooves you see in the photo) and lots. Then you want longitudinal channels for managing slush and water. Lack of the latter is why many AT tyres have poor aqua handling.

More
04 Mar 2021 13:46 #233454 by Bea
Replied by Bea on topic Bridgestone Dueller AT/001
Small update, finally got the chance to drive on some snowy small roads, where the snow was a mixture of fresh, mostly packed and ice. The tyres were very confidence inspiring and held the car well, both traction and steering. Obviously using 4WD mode.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds