BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Wireless CarPlay

More
28 Aug 2020 09:39 #227446 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Wireless CarPlay

300bhpton wrote: What functionality are you are after? My iPhone connects automatically via Bluetooth when I turn the ignition on. This allows me to make and receive calls without even getting the phone from my pocket. You can also stream music via your phone in this fashion.

Yep that's expected behaviour. It's about getting the full Carplay/Android Auto screen mirroring experience without needing to connect a cable.

As Soeley mentions, one benefit would be allowing the phone to be simultaneously connected to a higher output charger, as the inbuilt USB port can barely maintain the charge of a handset when being used.

Even slicker would be the option to add a wireless charging pad somewhere, completely removing the need to connect a cable to the phone and getting a strong charge while screen mirroring.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2020 09:41 #227447 by Gadget
Guys, note of caution regarding the 'android version' of those devices that have been linked. I believe they're only for adding wireless functionality to Android head units, not for providing wireless Android Auto connection to other OEM head units.

More
28 Aug 2020 10:11 #227450 by stuartmc
Replied by stuartmc on topic Wireless CarPlay
This is exactly what I have on the Mini. Wireless charger built in to the armrest so for longer journeys pop the iPhone in there and use Waze on Carplay.

2020 SZ5 Auto, 2019 Vitara GLX 1.4T AT AllGrip

More
28 Aug 2020 10:15 #227452 by stuartmc
Also set up a shortcut so when Carplay switches off the phone rings so I don't leave it in the armrest which I kept doing to begin with.

More
28 Aug 2020 10:17 #227453 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Wireless CarPlay

Gadget wrote:
Even slicker would be the option to add a wireless charging pad somewhere, completely removing the need to connect a cable to the phone and getting a strong charge while screen mirroring.

lol, if only there was somewhere to actually put your phone in the first place though! :lol:

Have seen an aftermarket charging tray for the auto models that fits in front of the shifter. But in a manual car, there just is no where to put a modern smart phone.

More
28 Aug 2020 10:18 #227455 by stuartmc
Martin does an armrest and I think there is an option to add a charger. Have a look in his shop.

More
28 Aug 2020 10:22 #227457 by stuartmc

More
28 Aug 2020 11:48 #227459 by Gadget

300bhpton wrote: lol, if only there was somewhere to actually put your phone in the first place though! :lol:

Haha, that's true, although being an auto owner I get to have a smug face while laying my phone in the perfect cubby in front of the shifter.

More
12 Oct 2021 13:00 #239338 by stuartmc
Reactivating an old post but have an update.

At long last bit the bullet and bought an OTTOCAST Apple CarPlay Wireless Adapter from Amazon, currently £115.95 but a £15 off voucher available. Early days yet but so far very pleased with it. It does take slightly longer than the Wireless CarPlay in the Mini to start up but then runs Waze, phone call, messages as if it was wired in. Can't comment on Android compatability as this is meant for Apple. 

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds