BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Both drive belts just fell off

• DrRobin
  • DrRobin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Newbie in Northumberland
More
18 Aug 2020 20:12 #226934 by DrRobin
Both drive belts just fell off and I wasn’t even going anywhere on a 2011 Gen 3.

Is this a Jimny thing? I have never had a problem with a drive belt on any car in 35 years of motoring it’s bizarre.

Okay here is what happened, I was fitting a home made box so I can get front and rear cameras through one input, put it in reverse, you get the rear camera, take it out of reverse and you get the front camera for about 6 seconds, plus there is a switch on the dash. To fit it meant the head unit was out and powered for some of the time, with the ignition on, but engine not running. I was probably about 2 hours max.

The head unit tends to hang near the 2w, 4w and low range switches and when the ignition was on the drive did change a couple of times and the air con button got turned on.

Near to the end of testing, the low battery voltage warning came on so I started the engine, but it didn’t go off. Thinking I might have a wiring fault I shut everything down, pulled the head unit and all was okay. I started it up again, the low battery voltage was on and my volt meter only read 11.3v. Raving the engine a little made no difference, voltage went down slightly.

I then heard a clunk and the engine stalled. On checking both drive belts had come off.

I am guessing that the belts will need replacing, if they were just slack and had increased load from the 4w drive buttons been pressed and AC on without the engine running, then starting up could that have caused it? Or is there a guide keeps the belt in place?

I am assuming there is a guide somewhere on changing the belts?

Ta

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2020 20:21 - 18 Aug 2020 20:26 #226936 by Scimike
That's unlucky.
Don't think it's a Jimny thing, but you can get wobble on the crank pulley due to the rubber insert failing, this normally snaps belts.
I've just changed both of mine, easy enough but I was surprised just how tight they are with the correct preload.
I recall watching a video or two on YouTube to get the general idea and went for it. Did it with the radiator installed, a little tight but Ok in my opinion.
Mike

Edit
Here's one

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 18 Aug 2020 20:26 by Scimike.

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
18 Aug 2020 22:02 #226941 by DrRobin
Thanks Mike,

It looks straight forward, I think I will try the old ones back on tomorrow and my local parts store has Dayco belts in stock, so will swap them over, if the old ones stay on and nothing else is wrong, like a seized water pump or AC compressor.

I am working from home tomorrow so should be back up and running quickly.

At least there is no damage, just a mystery how the belts came off in the first place.

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

More
18 Aug 2020 22:13 #226942 by Scimike
Yes it's strange, can't explain why they both came off without damage.
It's possible they were just on the loose side, but you usually hear them squeal with lights on or PAS movement.
The only common point for both is the crank pulley, so have a good look at this to make sure it's ok. Pulley should run true, wobble indicates possible issue with the rubber bonding.
Hope the fix all goes well.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
19 Aug 2020 07:18 #226955 by Busta
Definitely check the condition of the crank pulley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlines

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 Aug 2020 09:36 #226965 by Lambert
As said above its possible that the ac pulley was jammed which could have caused the belt to jump and then take the alternator belt with it but I agree it's more likely the crankshaft pulley is failing.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
19 Aug 2020 19:36 #227003 by DrRobin
Took me about 3 hours to put both belts back on, the alternator wouldn’t move and then the AC/PAS belt was so fiddly I couldn’t get enough slack on the tensioner, but it all went back and tensioned.

Before I even started the engine I could see the problem, the crank pulley was lopsided, actually it is loose so the rubber Cush drive has definitely gone. As it was about 7:30 pm by now I decided I had nothing to loose so started the engine, both belts jumped off straight away.

Still at least I know what is wrong (thanks for the pulley suggestion guys) and replacing the belts will be much faster next time.

The belts I took off look okay, but they are getting replaced with the crank pulley rubber, just to be on the safe side.

I will try and post a picture of the pulley, but it doesn’t always work from my iPad.

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
19 Aug 2020 19:42 #227004 by DrRobin
Pictures of the crank pulley, hopefully.

You can see how it is very lopsided.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone, this is a great site for practical help, it gives me confidence to tackle jobs without a workshop manual.

Cheers

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike

More
19 Aug 2020 20:14 #227008 by Scimike
As they say "there's your problem"
Thanks for picture, have never seen a failed pulley, only been told they exist.
Good call on the new belts, prior to jumping off the pulley would have been giving them hell, usually the belts just snap.
Good work.

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
25 Aug 2020 08:29 #227323 by DrRobin
My new pulley arrived, 3 days late, it should have been here on Friday, but I eventually got it late Monday afternoon. Unfortunately with the additional trips back and forth to the delivery depot it is damaged.

Since I had to get the car going again, I contacted the supplier, said I was going to dress them with a file and then sort it out later. Unfortunately, they didn't dress very well, the metal which was folded over just cracked and I had to file away more material than I wanted. The new pulley is on and working, but it will have to be replaced for another one in a few days time.

Still I have now got the hang of this job, I borrowed an idea from another post on here to get the pulley off, a metal bar bolted to the pulley with two M8 bolts and then jammed to the side of the car with a block of wood. Actually my drive slopes, so with the car in 5th and let the hand brake off slightly the car's weight pushed the bar in to the wood, then with the car in gear, the pulley was very solid and the nut came off with a breaker bar.

To release the pulley from the shaft the same bar was used this time just tighten the two M8 nuts with it pressing against the flange of the pulley nut, this pops the pulley off the shaft really nicely.

Then to put the new pulley on, just reverse the wood, this time there was no need to put the car in gear.

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

Attachments:

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Aug 2020 08:35 #227324 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Both drive belts just fell off
Nice one Doc. Special tools, Bah. Some of these tricks were taught once upon a time. Chris

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
25 Aug 2020 12:47 #227328 by DrRobin
Thanks Chris,

The wood came off an old fence I have just replaced, definately keeping this bit now.

If you like home made tools and jigs, what about this belt tension gauge, it is made from two pieces of aluminium bolted together so they can slide. The is a notch for the belt and a [rough] scale at the other.

Just use two hands to move the belt up and down, keeping one part steady and see how much the gauge moves.

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: CC Baxter

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds