BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Waxoyl or similar products

More
10 Jul 2020 07:32 #224749 by lightning
What’s the consensus on “Waxoyling” Jimnys? It looks similar underneath to a Defender, and these need protection or the chassis starts to go at 15 years.

We are looking at a used one (it’s the new model about a year old) and the dealer says they will Waxoyl it before delivery.

If not Waxoyl then what to people do to help slow down corrosion in the Jimny?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2020 08:20 #224750 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Waxoyl or similar products
Hi and Welcome along.
There are plenty of products of choose from and everyone will have their preference with no wrong answers. The common ground is as the Defender it needs protection as rust will start to appear. Unlike the Defender it tends to be the body mounts rather than the chassis that will fail first, although eventually the chassis will catch up. This is based on the previous versions of the Jimny, the new Jimny only time will tell.
If I went for a new Jimny it would be high on my to do list, as an old Land Rover owner I still like Black Waxoyl for the underbody protection and Dinatrol for within the chassis and cavities.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
10 Jul 2020 08:33 #224751 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Waxoyl or similar products
I think the consensus is that:
- a corrosion protection should be done on Jimnys.
- in addition to visible areas also the inside of the frame, chassis, etc. should be treated as well as the areas under the plastic trims, fenders, ....

Regarding the products used there are 3 types, wax, fat or bitumen based.

Generally, bitumen based is viewed as not so good and the opinions on wax or fat are usually not so strong.

Maybe the best would be to treat the hollow areas with fat and the visible areas with wax? I do not really know.

I treated my Jimny with fat inside and outside and the corrosion protection seems very good, also because the fat behaves like a slow penetrating oil, also years later. The disadvantages are:
- that on warm summer days the Jimny still drips a little fat and whenever I work on the Jimny,
- my hands get really dirty and sticky with fat which is not so pleasant.
- you need to heat it up for spraying so some special tools are required for the initial application.

Wax does not have the disadvantages of fat. The disadvantage of wax is that after a couple of years wax starts to “dry” and get “cracks” in the surface and the rust protection might(!) be not so good then.

But important is that you do some corrosion protection.

More
10 Jul 2020 08:37 - 10 Jul 2020 08:38 #224752 by Grim Reaper
Bilt Hamber Dynax for me, UB for underbody, S50 for cavities and UC for bits where a clear coating is preferred.
I have my 100 mile old Jimny naked (sans bumpers, plastic trims and exhaust) on the drive waiting a good waxing this weekend.
Getting it done early to help stave off the tinworm in later life.
With all the trims off it is amazing to see just how many nooks and crannies that can retain mud and grime and be a starting place for corrosion to set in.
Last edit: 10 Jul 2020 08:38 by Grim Reaper.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DAGZOOK

More
10 Jul 2020 09:46 - 10 Jul 2020 09:48 #224755 by HUN
Replied by HUN on topic Waxoyl or similar products
As with everything, the key is preparation! Waxoyl can last up to 5 years if you live far from the sea but will only be efficient for 3 years if you're located near the coast line. It have worked as a time capsule for me as it kept my car in the same condition like I got it 5 years ago. Currently I'm removing the previously applied Waxoyl, any loose paint and surface rust, then I'm going to paint the chassis with beige colour metal paint. Unlike waxoyl, the paint does not attrack dust and dirt. This bright colour also will help me locating any areas which might getting rusty later. Black waxoyl will cover and hide everything hence I'm a bit concerned your dealer would apply it before you get the car. Don't get me wrong, it is a good stuff but not so good if you work on the car as it's really messy.

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Full floating rear axle conversion, JB underbody guards & recovery points
ORE transfer box HD brackets
T-Max split charge system
X-Shock Dakar ceramic clutch kit & roof rack
Flo-Flex castor polybushes
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers
Last edit: 10 Jul 2020 09:48 by HUN.

More
10 Jul 2020 09:50 #224756 by 300bhpton

lightning wrote: What’s the consensus on “Waxoyling” Jimnys? It looks similar underneath to a Defender, and these need protection or the chassis starts to go at 15 years.

We are looking at a used one (it’s the new model about a year old) and the dealer says they will Waxoyl it before delivery.

If not Waxoyl then what to people do to help slow down corrosion in the Jimny?

I've had good results with Waxoyl in the past. And it seems long lasting.

It is messy to apply however. And remains messy when you have to work on a vehicle. And sadly can be used to hide problems (but so can other products, not just Waxoyl).

If you have someone willing to apply Waxoyl for free, then I would take them up on it. So long as you are happy in the condition of the vehicle beforehand. Waxoyl is not a miracle product and it can't get rid of rust. Its best purpose it to be put onto good metal in order to protect. Putting it over rusty metal might slow it ever so slightly, but it will never stop the rust continuing. That just isn't what it is designed for. If there is rust, it needs treating first, then Waxoyl applying.

I would also request they use clear Waxoyl, the black looks cool. But is far more messy and of course hides what is under it. The clear Waxoyl looks a bit yucky going on. But once cured looks perfectly fine.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Jul 2020 10:40 #224763 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Waxoyl or similar products
When I got Dreadnought nearly 10 years ago there was only really waxoyl available at sensible prices so it went on straight from the dealer. Doing it again I think I would use an epoxy paint like upol raptor as it is long lasting. That's not to say the waxoyl hasn't been good it's just it needs a top up every year primarily because of the length of grass I drive through taking it off the leading edges. That and I have no desire to strip the chassis and start again with something else.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
10 Jul 2020 11:51 #224772 by Old Neil
Someone say Raptor, crazy ozzie's didn't read the memo about it being an under body sealer and sprayed the exterior

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds