BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Android mapping/satnav

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Mar 2020 06:30 #219529 by Lambert
Not having a built in screen and therefore relying on my galaxy for navigation are there any viable alternatives to Google maps, I've heard of Waze but it seems to have very mixed reviews from a user interface and accuracy point of view not that maps is perfect? It's just that at the end of the month I have a drive down to south Wales on the motorway with a trailer and I am wanting it to be as smooth as possible without loads of diversions through residential areas to allegedly save 2 minutes here and there on a 6 hour drive.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
07 Mar 2020 08:44 #219532 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Android mapping/satnav
Ok so I have tried Waze. No.

Any other alternative?

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Mar 2020 10:00 #219536 by Grima
Replied by Grima on topic Android mapping/satnav
Waze is run by Google maps!!!
Spend a fortune on a TomTom.
Some free Apps are slow to update (road closed, ect ect.)
Sorry not much out there for free.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
07 Mar 2020 10:45 #219538 by Lambert
Is a Tom Tom or Garmin stand alone worth the effort and price compared with Google maps?

More
07 Mar 2020 12:03 - 07 Mar 2020 12:04 #219544 by reedx
Replied by reedx on topic Android mapping/satnav
I've used Copilot GPS on my Android phone for years. I think it's about £25 for worldwide maps. The maps are stored on the device, so don't need an internet connection to work. You just download the areas you're going to drive in (ideally over WiFi ;-) ).

I also have an Android head unit on my Gen4 and either use Google Maps, or Copilot GPS on that if the internet connection is ropey.

In addition, I pay about £12 a year for the live traffic information in the CoPilot app. It gives a nice colour coded time line at the right side of the map so you can see where heavier traffic is over your journey and also estimates what the current delay will be. If this delay is too long the app will suggest an alternate route if possible. 10/10 from me.

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alk.copilot.mapviewer

Colin
Last edit: 07 Mar 2020 12:04 by reedx. Reason: Typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Mar 2020 12:09 #219546 by Grima
Forget Garmin
TomTom you need to spend £200+ to get a good one
You can get the TomTom app for your phone but its not free to use.
Co pilot premium app is rated the best, that's about £30 a year.
All depends on how much you hate Google maps that's free.

More
07 Mar 2020 20:36 #219564 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Android mapping/satnav
I've had a Garmin for years now (about 10) and never had a problem with it, came with free lifetime map updates as well.

More
07 Mar 2020 20:42 #219566 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Android mapping/satnav

Lambert wrote: Is a Tom Tom or Garmin stand alone worth the effort and price compared with Google maps?

IMO no.

I’ve not really found anything to better Google Maps. Apple Maps is probably as good, albeit not an option for an Android user. And I do like that I can run Google Maps in satellite mode.

Google Maps isn’t perfect. But by and large any complaints I have are minor with it. What issues are you having making you want to look for other options?

More
07 Mar 2020 22:22 #219574 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Android mapping/satnav
OSMAnd might be a option. And if you are willing to update your maps manually then it is free of charge.

For hard core navigating off-road QuoVadis is a good option. You can create your own maps, arrange them, overlay them so that you can use various maps at the same time. It takes some time to learn and you would need a windows tablet.

More
08 Mar 2020 01:31 - 08 Mar 2020 01:32 #219576 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Android mapping/satnav
+1 for Garmin - it knocks the crap out of my wife's TomTom so much so that she borrows my Garmin now :angry:

The Garmin model I have also has a built in camera, so thats only one device instead of two, cluttering up the windscreen ;)

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 08 Mar 2020 01:32 by Max Headroom.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
08 Mar 2020 04:49 #219579 by Lambert

300bhpton wrote:

Lambert wrote: Is a Tom Tom or Garmin stand alone worth the effort and price compared with Google maps?

IMO no.

I’ve not really found anything to better Google Maps. Apple Maps is probably as good, albeit not an option for an Android user. And I do like that I can run Google Maps in satellite mode.

Google Maps isn’t perfect. But by and large any complaints I have are minor with it. What issues are you having making you want to look for other options?

It has a bit of a habit of trying to save time if it thinks that the motorway or main road is blocked by sending me down smaller roads and sometimes through housing estates often in areas I don't know especially well and because I have to believe it when it comes to potential road traffic issues I will usually follow it within reason and this is fine in Dreadnaught but on a potentially 12hour round trip to Wales in the bigger Grand Vitara with a trailer on I don't want to be having to potentially negotiate back roads anymore than I have to but equally I don't want to be having hours added on my journey by ignoring requests to leave the motorway to avoid hold ups. If there were like a truck setting for the directions that kept you on the biggest roads for the longest time that would be great but I can't find it in Google maps if it exists.

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Mar 2020 16:28 #219598 by Grima
There are free Truck sat nav downloads for android in google play store on your phone. Happy hunting.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds