BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Wading in a 4th Gen?

More
12 Feb 2020 18:09 #218394 by 300bhpton
I’m sure I’ve read the Jimny has quite a low official wading depth. About a foot. Due to the location of the breathers (I assume diff/axle).

Does anyone offer anything to solve/improve this? I’d love to be able to go fording at some point. Thanks.

Btw - does anyone else keep getting constantly logged out?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2020 18:18 #218396 by Dan
Replied by Dan on topic Wading in a 4th Gen?
I was wondering about this too. Informative thread here:

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...-first-zook?start=12

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
12 Feb 2020 20:58 #218409 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Wading in a 4th Gen?
The problem is essentially twofold, in sufficient depth of water the cooling to the axle by the water will create enough of a vacuum to potentially pull water into the axle if the factory breather is under water and in some way compromised, it is only a spring loaded cap arrangement that supposedly makes a seal when the pressure overcomes the spring force. They are not good. Secondly the seals on the steering swivels are only really to keep dust and mud and larger rocks out of the cv joints, submerged they will let water pass which then sits in the bottom kingpin bearing and kills them quick fast in a hurry giving you death wobble. Knowing this if you are determined to go playing in water you have to accept a significantly higher level of maintenance than if you give water a wide berth. I prefer not rebuilding axle joints to playing in water. And all that assumes that the water is clean and not deep enough to get into things like alternators and sensors, if it's dirty water especially from silt laden rivers and ponds it is going to act like a course grinding paste and require serious maintenance.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Feb 2020 22:26 #218414 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Wading in a 4th Gen?

Lambert wrote: The problem is essentially twofold, in sufficient depth of water the cooling to the axle by the water will create enough of a vacuum to potentially pull water into the axle if the factory breather is under water and in some way compromised, it is only a spring loaded cap arrangement that supposedly makes a seal when the pressure overcomes the spring force. They are not good. Secondly the seals on the steering swivels are only really to keep dust and mud and larger rocks out of the cv joints, submerged they will let water pass which then sits in the bottom kingpin bearing and kills them quick fast in a hurry giving you death wobble. Knowing this if you are determined to go playing in water you have to accept a significantly higher level of maintenance than if you give water a wide berth. I prefer not rebuilding axle joints to playing in water. And all that assumes that the water is clean and not deep enough to get into things like alternators and sensors, if it's dirty water especially from silt laden rivers and ponds it is going to act like a course grinding paste and require serious maintenance.

Wow!! Great points and very startling info.

I will only be wading in water if nessersary from now on.

Cheers for that info Lambo.

More
13 Feb 2020 12:29 #218434 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Wading in a 4th Gen?

Lambert wrote: The problem is essentially twofold, in sufficient depth of water the cooling to the axle by the water will create enough of a vacuum to potentially pull water into the axle if the factory breather is under water and in some way compromised, it is only a spring loaded cap arrangement that supposedly makes a seal when the pressure overcomes the spring force. They are not good. Secondly the seals on the steering swivels are only really to keep dust and mud and larger rocks out of the cv joints, submerged they will let water pass which then sits in the bottom kingpin bearing and kills them quick fast in a hurry giving you death wobble. Knowing this if you are determined to go playing in water you have to accept a significantly higher level of maintenance than if you give water a wide berth. I prefer not rebuilding axle joints to playing in water. And all that assumes that the water is clean and not deep enough to get into things like alternators and sensors, if it's dirty water especially from silt laden rivers and ponds it is going to act like a course grinding paste and require serious maintenance.

Thanks for the superb info. Maybe I'll steer clear of water then. Wasn't planning on any mud running, just maybe take it out on a fording trip. I'll stick to taking my Land Rover for such activities.

Stuff like this, although certainly not the bottom one (which isn't a ford anyway)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
13 Feb 2020 13:16 #218435 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Wading in a 4th Gen?
One way to help with this is to not plunge straight in. Instead let the axles and transmission cool before doing water. If you are slow off roading they will be cool anyway, if you are coming off a fast road run they will be hot. I have to let my boat trailer wheels cool for the same reason before launching

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
14 Feb 2020 10:36 #218485 by Reason2doubt
Replied by Reason2doubt on topic Wading in a 4th Gen?
Has anyone put together a snorkel for the Gen4 yet?

I keep seeing these fantastic pictures of the Gen4 with lifts, body kits etc.. but I don't recall seeing a snorkel on any of them.

More
14 Feb 2020 11:46 #218492 by Soeley
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reason2doubt

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds