BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Re:Jimny Gen 4 - Report your issue/s page.

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Aug 2019 18:41 #212793 by Andy2640
Jimny Gen 4 - Report your issue/s page. was created by Andy2640
This thread is intended for the reporting of issues you are experiencing with your generation 4 Jimny. Lets hope it remains a fairly empty thread B)

1st reported issue (reported by at least 6 people to my knowledge) seems to be a mini grinding noise. Location of this noise or what is causing it seems unknown at this time. Has been described as a short ziip noise.

Andy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2019 19:31 #212794 by DAGZOOK
I'm surprised that so many people have had this issue. I've accumulated 2.5k miles on my Gen.4 now and cannot fault it. Could it possibly be down to people driving ultra modern 'refined' road cars, which has made them a little sensitive to normal mechanical noise? My second car is an old BMW Z3 and the mechanical noise from the drivetrain is more obtrusive than the J-Wagon. At the end of the day It's a rugged little 4X4 with a Rugged drive train and a chain driven TB, a little mechanical noise is to be expected. I certainly wont be fretting over mine! :whistle: :whistle: :laugh:

More
28 Aug 2019 20:09 #212795 by Bill Portland
2nd issue - oversensitive auto headlights on/off. Drive under the shadow of a tree (or a "fat pigeon" as someone else said) and your lights turn on and off appearing like you're flashing your lights. I have dashcam footage of a minibus pulling out in front of me because off this issue. Suzuki GB informed but said that it's the only report they had (at that time) and so wouldn't investigate further.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GeordieJimny

More
29 Aug 2019 05:03 #212813 by DAGZOOK

Bill Portland wrote: 2nd issue - oversensitive auto headlights on/off. Drive under the shadow of a tree (or a "fat pigeon" as someone else said) and your lights turn on and off appearing like you're flashing your lights. I have dashcam footage of a minibus pulling out in front of me because off this issue. Suzuki GB informed but said that it's the only report they had (at that time) and so wouldn't investigate further.

Now this is an issue that I totally agree with! The auto light sensitivity is a little annoying.

More
29 Aug 2019 07:29 #212817 by stiffsteve204me

Bill Portland wrote: 2nd issue - oversensitive auto headlights on/off. Drive under the shadow of a tree (or a "fat pigeon" as someone else said) and your lights turn on and off appearing like you're flashing your lights. I have dashcam footage of a minibus pulling out in front of me because off this issue. Suzuki GB informed but said that it's the only report they had (at that time) and so wouldn't investigate further.

I did ask the question of Suzuki GB, and received this reply:

"Thank you for your recent Email to Suzuki Customer Services.

I have spoken with the Suzuki Technical Department, they have explained that unfortunately, there is no way to adjust the sensitivity, there is only the option to turn off the automatic setting. I would advise, if you feel that there is an issue with the vehicle that you allow your nearest Authorised Suzuki Dealership to investigate. They would then be able to report any findings to our Technical Support Team for further review.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to contact us and reassure you that your concerns have been logged on our database; which will be inputted on to our factory report.

I am sorry we are unable to provide you with a more favourable response. In the meantime please do not hesitate to contact us again should you require anything further in the future on 08085 011959, option 3.

Kind regards

Marc
Customer Service Executive 

Suzuki GB PLC"

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GeordieJimny

More
29 Aug 2019 08:31 #212819 by Bill Portland
Yes, I got much the same response. So I contacted the dvsa who asked me to get it checked over by the dealer to see if it's a fault with my car. Dealer says it works "as expected" . am now waiting for dvsa to get back to me. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. is working on it
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget

More
29 Aug 2019 16:25 #212830 by Gadget
Thanks Bill, going above and beyond there.

I'm another one who has found the auto headlights unusable due to the fat pigeon scenario. It's not the sensitivity that's the issue, they just needed a delay introduced between registering the change in light level and activating the lights. At the moment they turn on/off instantly, which causes the irritating/dangerous flashing. If they added a couple of second delay, they wouldn't be triggered by passing under a bridge or chubby avian.

More
29 Aug 2019 17:24 #212836 by Soeley
Mine do delay in switching back off. If I go under a bridge or trees the lights come on instantly which is correct, but back out in the light they stay on for about 30 seconds at a guess. On mine you wouldn't confuse it with a flash.

What I have noticed though is that the dashboard illumination goes on and off in an instant, at first I thought they were doing it in sync with the headlights, but no they do it independently.

More
29 Aug 2019 19:00 #212846 by facade
I had quite forgotten about the auto lights- mine are just off.

No doubt in Winter I will drive along merrily with no lights on as the dashboard is lit up all the time :whistle:

They are exactly the same in the Renault Nissan, come on in a solar flare if a leaf blows over the car, putting the SatNav in stupid night mode, then take a couple of minutes to go off. So they are switched off too (along with the useless auto wipers)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Kickingk
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Aug 2019 19:54 #212849 by Kickingk
Replied by Kickingk on topic Jimny Gen 4 - Report your issue/s page.
Mine has the same auto lights problem, so like others it’s been switched off since the first week, and yes I have the mini grind.
Another one for me and at first I thought it was my fault as I’ve driven an automatic for years, but I’ve never stalled a car as many times in my life, unless I give it a decent bit of revs it stalls??

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Aug 2019 10:37 - 30 Aug 2019 10:42 #212872 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Jimny Gen 4 - Report your issue/s page.

Kickingk wrote: Mine has the same auto lights problem, so like others it’s been switched off since the first week, and yes I have the mini grind.
Another one for me and at first I thought it was my fault as I’ve driven an automatic for years, but I’ve never stalled a car as many times in my life, unless I give it a decent bit of revs it stalls??

Stalling in 2H was rather frequent for me too at first. Soon became a non issue as i adapted my pedal control. Now i just give it a lick of revs before setting off, and all is good. I suppose the previous car you drove has a lot to do with it.

Gotta say though, in 4L it is a beatifull experience. Any chance i get to go low geared, i do so. Just try going up a street curb head on, it takes just a wisp of increased RPM to get up it. Amazing 4x4!!

Cant wait for some snow :) :) :)
Last edit: 30 Aug 2019 10:42 by Andy2640.

• GeordieJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Aug 2019 11:49 #212876 by GeordieJimny
Replied by GeordieJimny on topic Jimny Gen 4 - Report your issue/s page.
My automatic gear shift started rattling a few weeks back. It's worse with a cold engine and anytime I'm going up or down a hill. Not done anything to try fix it yet.

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds