BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Lift kit

• Markmills96
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jun 2019 20:04 #210063 by Markmills96
Lift kit was created by Markmills96
Hi guys,
Bought my first jimny, been out in it a few times and I'm blown away by how capable it is. I'm wanting to go bigger though. Been looking at the 2" but would I need to change anything else other than shocks and spring's? I'm aware that for a 3" lift there's other parts that need replacing.
Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• barnsley john
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jun 2019 21:02 #210065 by barnsley john
Replied by barnsley john on topic Lift kit
I mate I am new to the jimny and that's my next job in making my jimny look better
I have just fitted bfg all terrain tyres and a tow bar have had good feedback about this topic from some great guys so here goes

2 inch lift I have been told you change the shocks and springs I don't think the brake pipes need doing

also been told that you are as well fitting the caster bushes to make steering more central when lifting it
I believe that when diving the steering does not center as good without the bushes
also been told the trail master comfort 2 inch lift is a good bit of kit to use
as I am new I may be slightly wrong but some out there knows there stuff and will correct me and help you make the right but thanks john

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Jun 2019 04:30 #210069 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Lift kit

Markmills96 wrote: Hi guys,
Bought my first jimny, been out in it a few times and I'm blown away by how capable it is. I'm wanting to go bigger though. Been looking at the 2" but would I need to change anything else other than shocks and spring's? I'm aware that for a 3" lift there's other parts that need replacing.
Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

Lifting a Jimny is a bit of a minefield. Technically the lift on it's own will improve your approach, ramp and departure angles and give you more chassis clearance. However on standard wheels and tyres it won't actually increase your ground clearance because the axles are still at the same height above the ground. The only way to alter this is with taller tyres. But fitting taller tyres affects the gearing. In order to keep the gearing reasonable the biggest practical tyre size is a 215.75r15 which happens to fit nicely under a vehicle without any lift. That then kinda makes the lift seem a little pointless especially as the taller tyres also improve the angles to some degree. Then we come to the increase in the centre of gravity that lifts give. Many people have found that their Jimny will handle better with a lift but they often forget that they have replaced old worn out suspension that wasn't working properly with nice new stuff that is. Those who have replaced new standard height with a lift often say that they notice the additional body roll. The next thing is to consider what components you use. The more you spend, the more reliable and suitable your new suspension will be. You also need to have a good idea of what your ultimate goal is because buying a 2 inch lift and then deciding you actually want a 3 is an expensive option.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds